corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Anyone bought a property within a brand new development plot?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anyone bought a property within a brand new development plot?
kz

User status: Offline
13th Apr 14 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have been keeping my eye out locally for a brand new apartment to move into around here, there's a couple up and coming, but they're either a poor location or too expensive. However this week I found out about new places that are being built and they could be perfect... 48 apartments and houses.

The place has finally been flattened and they're literally just starting the building working now. Wondering how long until they're built up, perhaps a year I'm thinking? Also anyone with experience of buying off plan? Lady at work tells me this is the way to go, this would be my first purchase and I don't have a clue really!
Ben G

13th Apr 14 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Colin did iirc.
fred7

13th Apr 14 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We bought our first house on a new development. We moved in last august and and there still building houses cant build them quick enough! 7 families moving in next weekend! Our builder has been great and houses are great. Wasnt off plan though.
Gavin
Premium Member

13th Apr 14 at 16:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New development here me started in November last year, first 3 houses (out of 33) were built and people have moved in in March. Looks like they will have another 10 done this month with the development completed in June/July at this rate.

[Edited on 13-04-2014 by Gavin]

pew pew pew pewwwww
Haimsey
Premium Member

13th Apr 14 at 20:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We considered a new Taylor wimpey development.
Viewed plans a month ago, told us show homes would be up around May/June time.

Houses starting to be available where we wanted (middle of development) around December.

The development we wanted on was a set development, no room for further phases at all, no affordable housing allocation.

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
whitter45

14th Apr 14 at 10:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

might have to travel around but see if the builder has a development up and running elsewhere with the same house designs

my concern would be plot size etc as most new builds have very little land now even for parking 2 cars let alone what you look out onto etc

[Edited on 14-04-2014 by whitter45]
MarkM

14th Apr 14 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My new build come with a garage and space on the drive for parking three cars. However, there are houses on the estate with parking for one car only. You'll need full layout plans and drawing to be able to assess how much land if they're not built yet.

It's all about the plot and where it's going to be located on the site.
boylers11

14th Apr 14 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We moved in to our new build (Taylor Wimpey) recently. We contacted the T.W office to ask which spec homes (exactly) were being built on the plot, then travelled to other T.W developments in the area to view the show homes so we didn't have to wait for the new delopment show homes to be put up.

We then went to the new T.W site office, looked at the plot map with the manager and put down a deposit.

Thing we were careful about:
-Shared driveways i.e. how many share the same driveway (the plot maps can be deveiving),
-Is the garden south facing? If not, do you mind?
-If your plot is on the edge of the development, what's happening to the land at the back of your house?
-Are they all due to be private homes or are some shared ownership/council owned (whether this makes a difference to you is obviously an individual thing).
MarkM

14th Apr 14 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good point on the south facing garden! I went down with a compass before putting a deposit down to check ours was south facing as it was important for us.
kz

15th Apr 14 at 07:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't have to worry about gardens or driveways would be a lovely problem to have! But I'm only looking at getting a 2 bedroom apartment... only necessity for me is that it's at the top, I can't bare hearing people walking around above me.

The development (although already slightly started) was only officially announced last week so unfortunately there are no details yet of who's actually building it. I know it's funded (if that's the right term to use) by The Guinness Trust...

I'll just have to keep an eye out. Good idea to visit other sites by the developers though I want to get in there early so I can pick a good one!
sc0ott

15th Apr 14 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wouldnt worry about hearing people walking about. The floors will more than likely be thick precast slabs with accoustic insulation to meet building standards.
kz

15th Apr 14 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That would probably be okay if I was a normal person... unfortunately I wake up when someone drops a drawing pin on the floor above

Going back to what someone said above regarding 'affordable housing allocation' does this phrase mean anything other than just having reasonable pricing? This is the article about the new homes being built...

http://www.southend.gov.uk/news/article/101/new_homes_spring_up_on_revived_council_sites

There are two separate plots, and for the one I'm looking at it says in there... 'The Council has joined up with the Guinness Trust to build 48 affordable homes' just wondering what these means exactly.
dannymccann

15th Apr 14 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Affordable housing allocation is the new fancy term for council scumbags, they have them on my new development, you see them wrecking the brand new houses they get given for free if you go past there.

Do your best to get as far away from them as possible, they really do shit on their own doorstep

edit - or they are cheap enough that FTB's might have a chance to get on the ladder, however as above they are next to the usual plebs so you wouldn't want to buy one anyway. Shouting, hundreds of kids and bellends ragging their modded cars past the houses all night long is all you will get

[Edited on 15-04-2014 by dannymccann]
sc0ott

15th Apr 14 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also look into mid market rent. Costs more than affordable housing but is cheaper than private let, plus they come with flooring, white goods, blinds etc.
you need to meet certain criterias though, so you wont find dole bums living in them.
spencer88

15th Apr 14 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann
Affordable housing allocation is the new fancy term for council scumbags, they have them on my new development, you see them wrecking the brand new houses they get given for free if you go past there.

Do your best to get as far away from them as possible, they really do shit on their own doorstep

edit - or they are cheap enough that FTB's might have a chance to get on the ladder, however as above they are next to the usual plebs so you wouldn't want to buy one anyway. Shouting, hundreds of kids and bellends ragging their modded cars past the houses all night long is all you will get

[Edited on 15-04-2014 by dannymccann]

Social housing 'should' be pepper-potted around a development and people "should" be unable to differentiate between social and regular houses

Affordable housing is not just social housing either, it is affordable for sale or rent or mixed equity.

Affordable for sale is open to the entire market bar a few criteria and will be set a % lower than market value. A S106 agreement will be assigned to the property so it will always be an affordable property.

[Edited on 15-04-2014 by spencer88]
Cavey

15th Apr 14 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What Danny said really, the estate I'mon is 240 homes (iirc) and only 6 or so are afforadabke housing, unfortunately they're out the back of ours, but tbh, they're faitl well behaved still, we haven't had any trouble. The other side of Derby had a nice new estate, seems to be half and half, and the crime rate in the area increased dramatically when the affordable housing started going up. The doctors etc... Who bought the £300k houses all got royally screwed over and half the estate is up for sale now. Get 3 storey, 3 window wide houses, probably 4 or 5 bed given as affordable houses with 5 or 6 kids, shit outside the front door, mess everywhere, they just don't give a shit about the house.

So yeah, try and get as far from the affordable housing as possible.
Haimsey
Premium Member

15th Apr 14 at 18:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pride Parkway is an ideal example of not buying off plan. Feel sorry for some folk on that development!

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
Cavey

16th Apr 14 at 05:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was on about Girton Way in mickleover, but that one will do as an example as well!
kz

16th Apr 14 at 08:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh man, how depressing really am getting stuck...

Can't afford to get a place without Help to Buy, but with it there seems to be a problem with everywhere that's up and coming. Think I'll just give up and stay at home lol.
dannymccann

16th Apr 14 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just to add on to my earlier post the rozzers were round earlier at the 'affordable' housing area to break up a fight between a family who were arguing over a tenner
kz

21st Apr 14 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just been doing basic credit history checks over on Noddle today...

I got 5/5 whereas the girlfriend got 1/5 think I'll be better off applying for a mortgage alone? I believe I could still have her name on the property, then I'll just get her to DD me money each month.
dannymccann

21st Apr 14 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends what you earn and what multiple you would need to get the mortgage for the property, affordability calculations would also sting you as a sole applicant. Pretty difficult these days to entertain getting a mortgage on your own for any decent value
John

21st Apr 14 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mortgage company probably won't want her on the deeds because then they have a harder time if you stop paying.
kz

21st Apr 14 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I believe it's about 3x joint income or 4x sole income? If so, there's only about £15k difference in it anyway, so for what we could afford monthly, I could easily afford to do it alone.
kz

14th May 14 at 08:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just another question with this kinda plot... will they all just appear on Rightmove when they're ready?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll