corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Samsung Galaxy S5

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Samsung Galaxy S5
_Allan_

User status: Offline
25th Feb 14 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I will probably get the mini version.
Toby
Premium Member

26th Feb 14 at 07:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quite fancied one of these with my upgrade in April however specs seem a long way of what was rumoured, it's the screen and metal body I was looking forward to seeing. And it seems to be ugly (if that's how you can describe a phone). I think Samsung have gone a step backwards each year with the galaxy's since the S3, they are just too big.

When is HTC's new phone going to launch?
JordyCarter

26th Feb 14 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doesnt look bad imo, looks like no improvement on the s4 though.

Would still have it over an iphone. There UI feels so dated
Ben G

26th Feb 14 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks even more of a brick than my Z1. Also proper poundland with the plastic back cover and weird shitty metal surround.
A2H GO

27th Feb 14 at 08:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Poundland.

I like how Apple release a phone with a semi secure fingerprint scanner and the world goes mad, demanding details on how the data is stored. Samsung release one that's open to Devs on an open platform where nothing is sacred and noone gives a shit. Gotta love people.
Rob_Quads

27th Feb 14 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GOI like how Apple release a phone with a semi secure fingerprint scanner and the world goes mad, demanding details on how the data is stored. Samsung release one that's open to Devs on an open platform where nothing is sacred and noone gives a shit. Gotta love people.

Just coincidence that Apple have released a tech doc on the security aspects of it all too to highlight it.
A2H GO

27th Feb 14 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought about it the moment it was announced but John Grubers blog prompted me to post. Even if Apple kept quiet it's the public reaction/perception I'm questioning.

Apple -> we demand information now
Samsung -> yeah cool bro

[Edited on 27-02-2014 by A2H GO]
John

27th Feb 14 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Open platform is not equal to insecure.

It's probably more secure because it's not relying on security by obscurity.

I've read absolutely nothing about the samsung one btw, but you should know stuff like this from your dev forums Ash.
A2H GO

27th Feb 14 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not going to go into the android vs iOS security debate, will just wait and see how long it is before the '1 Million S5 users fingerprints stolen' headlines appear.
John

27th Feb 14 at 09:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not getting into Android vs iOS either. I'm saying that an open platform in no way means insecure.
Dom

27th Feb 14 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
... semi secure....

Semi secure? In the case of the iPhone the sensor can be easily be fooled. And plus, it's just as much of a gimmick on the S5 as it is on the iPhone.
John

27th Feb 14 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Definitely is a gimmick, no practical use on either yet.

Gf still has her 5S, never uses the fingerprint sensor at all because it's more reliable putting the pin in.
Balling
Premium Member

27th Feb 14 at 10:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Gf still has her 5S, never uses the fingerprint sensor at all because it's more reliable putting the pin in.
Reliable in what way? Even in the very rare occasions that I have to scan twice, it's still faster than the pin.

I've found a lot of people didn't properly follow the instructions for scanning their fingers, resulting in tips and edges not being registered.
It's also partly Apples fault for not explaining, that you can expand/refresh the fingerprints at any time, after initial registration.

John

27th Feb 14 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've not asked her, just observed.

If a completely standard user doesn't use it, it's pretty useless.
Balling
Premium Member

27th Feb 14 at 10:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
If a completely standard user doesn't use it, it's pretty useless.
That can't honestly be your attitude?

I agree that manufacturers need to educate their users in the features of their products, but with phones (and most other electronics these days) being as advanced as they are, there's just no way around some degree of self education, ie. looking in the manual, looking up online guides etc.

The fingerprint sensor of the 5S is absolutely a useful and extremely well implemented feature.
I've never had a password on my phone, iPad or personal computer as I simply couldn't be bothered typing it all the time - the risks never justified the annoyance. I hope all my next hardware - be it phone, computer or tablet - will have similar sensors, as it'll raise my security from zero to some.

Any slightly advanced product will have features that the "standard user" doesn't utilise (properly), but in no way does that automatically render said features useless.

John

27th Feb 14 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't care about standard users, not my fault they are stupid. Apple definitely will though.

I used it to unlock the phone when I had mine, that was it though, was used for absolutely nothing else.
A2H GO

27th Feb 14 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
... semi secure....

Semi secure? In the case of the iPhone the sensor can be easily be fooled. And plus, it's just as much of a gimmick on the S5 as it is on the iPhone.

I'm not talking about fooling the sensor I'm talking about how secure the fingerprint data is, which is much more important in my opinion.
A2H GO

27th Feb 14 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I'm not getting into Android vs iOS either. I'm saying that an open platform in no way means insecure.

I never said it was 'insecure', I'm implying it's 'less' secure, which is obviously debatable but it's my opinion.
John

27th Feb 14 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What are you basing that on?
Gary
Premium Member

27th Feb 14 at 12:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's only less secure if you don't pay attention to app permissions or start chucking random roms and apks on there
Steve
Premium Member

27th Feb 14 at 12:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Aspergers
3CorsaMeal

27th Feb 14 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I reckon i'll keep my S3 this time, am due an upgrade soon, think i'd rather keep my handset and haggle a low price monthly bill, was on about £13 before i needed a new phone.
3CorsaMeal

27th Feb 14 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
quote:

Aspergers

Cavey

27th Feb 14 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I thought about it the moment it was announced but John Grubers blog prompted me to post. Even if Apple kept quiet it's the public reaction/perception I'm questioning.

Apple -> we demand information now
Samsung -> yeah cool bro

[Edited on 27-02-2014 by A2H GO]

Look at it the other way.

Apple are the gods of the world, and implemented (for once) rarely seen, new technology on their phone. This time around Samsung are blatantly copying them, it's been done before, therefore no-one really cares
A2H GO

27th Feb 14 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I didn't go looking for this but since it's pretty well timed...

http://9to5mac.com/2014/02/27/googles-sundar-pichai-android-not-designed-to-be-safe-would-target-android-too-if-he-were-making-malware/

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll