corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Samsung Galaxy S5

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Samsung Galaxy S5
John

User status: Offline
27th Feb 14 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not in reply to my question it's not.

Software is not less secure because it's open. It can be less secure because it's open and X and Y and Z, not because it's open.
Rob_Quads

27th Feb 14 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree being open source does not make it less secure but it makes it more likely to be attacked as if there is a hole to be found its much easier to find the hole if you can see the source as opposed to a black box.
(We've been having the same discussions at work as Open Source is the 'in' topic that they are trying to get us all on)
John

27th Feb 14 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Closed source is just as big a target. Windows? OSX wasn't targeted because no-one used it, it will be now. iOS is unusual in the respect that it deliberately prevents users from doing anything so can be inherently (more, not absolutely) secure.
Steve
Premium Member

27th Feb 14 at 19:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Windows is closed and Linux is open yet people always claim Linux is more secure
Steve
Premium Member

27th Feb 14 at 19:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interestingly the Mac OS's are based on Linux which is open etc
Balling
Premium Member

28th Feb 14 at 07:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Interestingly the Mac OS's are based on Linux which is open etc
Might be interesting, but it's also wrong.

Balling
Premium Member

28th Feb 14 at 07:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
OSX wasn't targeted because no-one used it, it will be now.
We've been hearing that song ever since Mac's went Intel, probably even longer.

Also, you're basing that as much on facts as Ash is with his statements.

Steve
Premium Member

28th Feb 14 at 07:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alright Unix if you want to be particular. Either way they are very similar and share similar roots.
Balling
Premium Member

28th Feb 14 at 07:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
I didn't go looking for this but since it's pretty well timed...

http://9to5mac.com/2014/02/27/googles-sundar-pichai-android-not-designed-to-be-safe-would-target-android-too-if-he-were-making-malware/
I'm a bit confused about your concern, specifically.
Are you thinking, that malicious attackers could steal fingerprint data and somehow use it for... something?

John

28th Feb 14 at 08:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
OSX wasn't targeted because no-one used it, it will be now.
We've been hearing that song ever since Mac's went Intel, probably even longer.

Also, you're basing that as much on facts as Ash is with his statements.

I'm basing it on complete facts. Until recently osx had about 5 users. Now its more of a target they've had time to make it more secure, same as windows is also much more secure.

Osx is also using the same sort of tactic as the iOS, although not as severe. Everything is locked down. Much easier to be secure when you do that.
Rob_Quads

28th Feb 14 at 08:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Macs typically gave not been targeted purely down to numbers. If your going to try and get some malware out there you target the biggest user base.
There will always be hackers hitting ever platform. Anyone who says anything else is diluted but they won't be proportioned equally between the os'es
Cavey

28th Feb 14 at 08:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

http://9to5mac.com/2014/02/27/googles-sundar-pichai-android-not-designed-to-be-safe-would-target-android-too-if-he-were-making-malware/
Are you thinking, that malicious attackers could steal fingerprint data and somehow use it for... something?

That confused me too. Then I realised they could make prosthetic fingers with YOUR fingerprints and go on a crime spree implicating YOU in anything from stealing chocolate bars to touching kids. With YOUR fingerprints
Balling
Premium Member

28th Feb 14 at 08:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I'm basing it on complete facts. Until recently osx had about 5 users.

A2H GO

28th Feb 14 at 08:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

I'm a bit confused about your non-concern, you don't see how fingerprint data getting into the wrong hands is an issue?
John

28th Feb 14 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.zdnet.com/latest-os-share-data-shows-windows-still-dominating-in-pcs-7000013351/

That's a year out of date but the first one I can find from a half respectable site, good enough for my point anyway.

Looks like there are still only 5 OSX users, why bother attacking a heavily locked down system with a fraction of the users, when you can just target 90% of them on one platform?
Steve
Premium Member

28th Feb 14 at 09:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any chance we can all stop arguing please.
A2H GO

28th Feb 14 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

@ 5 users
Balling
Premium Member

28th Feb 14 at 09:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
http://www.zdnet.com/latest-os-share-data-shows-windows-still-dominating-in-pcs-7000013351/

That's a year out of date but the first one I can find from a half respectable site, good enough for my point anyway.

Looks like there are still only 5 OSX users, why bother attacking a heavily locked down system with a fraction of the users, when you can just target 90% of them on one platform?
So basically you're now contradicting your initial statement, which was based on "complete facts".

Balling
Premium Member

28th Feb 14 at 09:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I'm a bit confused about your non-concern, you don't see how fingerprint data getting into the wrong hands is an issue?
What is it you think "fingerprint data" is? The ability to recognise a fingerprint in no way means the ability to reproduce it.

Either way, if you're concerned about the security of the Android platform, I don't really see a fingerprint scanner doing anything to increase the threat of said vulnerability. Of all your personal data, that could be stolen, I'd imagine your fingerprints are the absolutely least useful.

John

28th Feb 14 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

So basically you're now contradicting your initial statement, which was based on "complete facts".

What am I contradicting? The 5 users was clearly sarcastic but the figures are even more on the Windows side than I thought. I was expecting a higher percentage of OSX users.

So my initial statement was still based on fact.
Balling
Premium Member

28th Feb 14 at 10:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your initial statement was that OS X will now be targeted due to increase in numbers. Now you're stating it's still too small for anyone to bother attacking.

Either way, I know you're one of the few people on here more stubborn than me, so let's just leave it at that before we've filled four pages with "who said what and why".

Back on topic!
This phone really just supports my previous statements that manufactures are desperately trying to hide the fact, that they can't actually improve their products.
There's not many (any?) areas of the phone left to revolutionise and you've really got to question whether yearly releases is the way to go, when nothing new is added.

[Edited on 28-02-2014 by Balling]

John

28th Feb 14 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, fair enough, I had overestimated the percentage of OSX users. I had also said it's become more secure in the interim though so less of a target anyway.

Completely agree on second part, I can't think of many possible 'game changers' at the moment.

This is however where Apple should be focusing. If they can genuinely innovate they will stay ahead. If they can't, they are just another Samsung.

Battery technology might be the next big step, that could definitely be improved massively.
Steve
Premium Member

28th Feb 14 at 11:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right., who here is an angry man and who isnt?
Cavey

28th Feb 14 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some kind of kenetic recharging? Flexible phones? Can't think of too much I'd want really
will_ainsworth

2nd Apr 14 at 03:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

had my s4 since july last year but today I got a call from 02 (my current network) and said they would upgrade me for free to the s5...

i was a bit sceptical and havn't done any research into the phone so not sure if its any better than the 4 but the only downside i could see is that my contract is renewed...

only had the s4 for 9 of a 24 month. I had to pay £225 upfront and then get that back when i send them my s4... does it sound at all fishy or is this just the normal thing now with these 02 refresh contracts?

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll