corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » PS4 vs XBox One

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author PS4 vs XBox One
James

User status: Offline
19th Feb 14 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably opening a can of worms here...

My PS3 has just got the yellow light of death after 7 loyal years with no issues. I'm looking to replace it soon. I'm not a huge gamer at all, I'm mostly looking to watch blu rays and use the console as a media hub of sorts. The occasional game of FIFA is played, but on the whole I don't consider myself a hardcore gamer.

Is there an obvious choice between the 2, or is it more a case of "6 of one and half a dozen of the other"?
Cavey

19th Feb 14 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm a ps fanboy. (Haven't got a 4 as i'm also a pauper)

But PS4 currently doesn't work as a media hub. It's a games console, that's it (atm)

I believe (And Balling will be along in the morning to confirm this) that nearly all games are higher res. on the Ps4 currently.

imo, at the end of the day, pick what your mates have got

Also, luckily, related links work pretty well on here now http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=662709

[Edited on 19-02-2014 by Cavey]
Balling
Premium Member

20th Feb 14 at 07:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you don't care much about gaming, just get another PS3. As a media hub it outperforms both of the new consoles.

PS4 is being developed solely as a gaming console. Besides Netflix playback, it doesn't do much in the way of being a media hub.
A lot of functionality will be added in future software updates, but right now, it really only plays games.

Xbox One is being developed as a complete mess of mediocrely implemented functionality. To some degree it's intended to work as a media hub, but in reality it's no better than the PS4.

Have a look here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-ps4-vs-xbox-one-which-is-the-better-media-player

It's worth noting that since that review, the PS4 has had a software update, that addresses the DVD issues. Couldn't tell you if it makes a real difference, though.

If you want to play games, get the PS4.
If you want to watch movies and play music, get the PS3.
There's not really any reason ever to get an Xbox One, except if you can't live without some of the exclusive titles.

Balling
Premium Member

20th Feb 14 at 07:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
I believe (And Balling will be along in the morning to confirm this) that nearly all games are higher res. on the Ps4 currently.
Indeed. Though an empty argument to someone who doesn't care much about the games.

Worth adding that I believe some (if not all) of the Xbone's media functionality is locked behind the Xbox Live paywall. Even Netflix is restricted, even if you have a paid subscription. Lovely.

20th Feb 14 at 08:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

had both and prefer the xbox one but I think it is down to personal preference, and im just more used to the xbox
Balling
Premium Member

20th Feb 14 at 11:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Scotty_B

20th Feb 14 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But another PS3 and wait for the 'next gens' to settle in for a year of two.

New Poll