corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » V6 Mk4 Astra Sri Gsi lookalike now with added youtube clips

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author V6 Mk4 Astra Sri Gsi lookalike now with added youtube clips
cheekyalex

User status: Offline
11th Feb 14 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had its mot, only needed new front brakes, and wipers

[Edited on 11-02-2014 by cheekyalex]
cheekyalex

11th Feb 14 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As the old brakes where on there last legs, i replaced and upgraded them to a set of 308 mm turbo ones. The old set where literally down to the metal hence the amount of brake dust on my wheels :S

groovy

Ahhhh now i remember why i had put this job off for so long.

One of the counter sunk retainer screws that hold the disc to the hub was completely rounded. So out came the welder to use my tried and tested method of welding another nut on to the offending screw.

I gave the 'new' brakes a wire brush and coat of gloss black hammerite to match the rear calipers. The discs and pads are second hand but have literally only covered less then 1k miles so like new. (just have some surface rust)

Brake fluid was also replaced with new stuff using an ezibleed kit

All fitted

Wheel back on and given a quick clean

Defiantly a huge improvement over the old 280 something mm set up , especially at higher speeds. Pedal is a lot firmer now too which gives you that extra confidence
cheekyalex

11th Feb 14 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wasn't long before i realised the 140mph dials where literally inadequate . So some 160 mph gsi clocks where fitted to match the cars new top speed of around 155mph . I also fitted some blue leds at the same time (vast improvement over the dull yellow standard bulbs)

SMD leds used

cheekyalex

11th Feb 14 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Replaced the standard dim, yellow interior bulbs for some ridiculously bright cree leds.

Pictures don't do them much justice, they literally light up the whole interior at night, and even the floor when you open the doors (partly down to them having mini projector lenses built in )

cheekyalex

11th Feb 14 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Picked up a full black leather interior including front and rear door cards off ebay. The front seats had usual bolster wear, but wasn't too fussed as I have decided to just use the rear seats and front door cards to match my sparco seats anyway.

One of the front door cards before being cleaned

Big improvement after a good clean and going over with some vinyl restorer.

Rear seats in.

I haven't fitted the rear door cards yet as they need the middle leather bits chopping out and sticking to the hatchback fitment door cards.
CORSA NUT

11th Feb 14 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking at a standard 2.5 Veccy GSI mate always wanted one, really enjoying your project by the way.
cheekyalex

11th Feb 14 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not too clued up on on vectras to be honest. Its quite rare you see a well looked after one though these days so its worth taking your time to find a good one.
cheekyalex

11th Feb 14 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got the rear bumper sprayed and fitted, And fitted a pair of smoked gsi/sri turbo rear lights at the same time

Very happy with how the rear end looks now

I think smoothing out the rear number plate light has really cleaned/subtly modernized up the look.

Re wired the power for the old rear light into the boot lid, and fitted two small led strips. They look a lot bluer in the photos then in real life (true colour is 6000k) which matches the front hids perfect

Its hard to tell in the pictures, but they are actually bright enough to light up the floor behind the car at night which i wasn't expecting. Was a bit worried at first untill i noticed most modern cars that have led number plate bulbs fitted as standard (like the new range rover and Mercedes etc) have exactly the same effect

Number plate needs straightening up properly

I will try and get some better pics of the LED's not lit, its not pretty but they are never seen and do the job perfect. Just some basic waterproof strips glued in place with a glue gun.

[Edited on 17-02-2014 by cheekyalex]
cheekyalex

11th Feb 14 at 23:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quick test fit of the front bumper before putting colour on it. Marked up and drilled the holes in the wing, for bolts bonded to the inside of the bumper but didn't get pics of this. I'm pretty happy with the fit, will just need a small amount of adjustment once fitted properly

Nice little shot of my smoked side repeaters which i fitted a while ago. Also fitted with amber LED's.

cheekyalex

11th Feb 14 at 23:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Picked up some brand new genuine Lower Gsi Grills

I knew i would have to get a bit creative fitting these due to it not having the original mounting holes, but was a bit dissapointed to find the gap was a bit too big for the outer grills. So going to have to get even more creative and find something to fill the gap which wont stand out.

Just held in place with masking tape for now
Jed D

12th Feb 14 at 07:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good stuff, nothing 'lesser' about the 2.5 over the 3l or 32se... the 2.5's rev their tits off, good out the box engines
cheekyalex

12th Feb 14 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am quite surprised how rev happy it is for a big v6 to be honest. Think the really light flywheel and g cams help alot.
cheekyalex

12th Feb 14 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Base coat and lacquer applied. Apart from some minimal orange peel that will easily wet sand and buff out very happy with how it turned out.

cheekyalex

12th Feb 14 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gave the inlet manifold a quick spruce up, used some panel wipe degreaser on a rag at first to get most of the grime off. Then some 3m polishing compound to get the remainder of the baked on lacquer,oil/ what ever the yellow stuff was.

Before

After

Came out better then i thought it would, but still needs some tidying up under the bonnet. Also have a battery jacket that i haven't fitted yet.

Not long after i had a slight misfire. Had to buy a new coil pack as i was using the old one that came with the vectra. The new one i had fitted to the omega engine has a slightly different wiring plug.

[Edited on 12-02-2014 by cheekyalex]
cheekyalex

12th Feb 14 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Putting my attention back to sorting the front bumper out

Sorted the issue of the lower grills not fitting by cutting up and old corsa glove box tray that was the same colour plastic,and used it to fill the gap from behind. As its so low on the car, you will never notice unless its pointed out.

Then Fitted the Led 'fog lights' however they are a couple of mm smaller then i hoped, as you can see below there is a small gap around the edges

Found a rubber seal that was the perfect fit to fill the gap (its actually a strip of rubber from an old window wiper)

Quick test of the leds before fitting the bumper, they are brighter then i was expecting which is nice, as you can see in the picture they are clearly visible in the day time

cheekyalex

12th Feb 14 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Temporarily fitted to the car with just cable ties for now (i lost the bolts to fit it properly) but couldn't wait any longer as i was getting a bit sad driving a car with a front end that looked like this

Quite an improvement , but still needs properly adjusting /bolting in place to get the gaps looking a bit better

side view

cheeky engine shot

cheekyalex

12th Feb 14 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also fitted a new radiator at the same time as old one got slightly damaged.
CORSA NUT

12th Feb 14 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's a W reg black one near my mum and dads that's been there since it was new. Looks mint and doesn't seem to ever move off the drive. There's also a Vaux dealer just down the road.

I'm hoping to knock at there door and see if they want to sell and it could be a low miler with full vaux history probably just tell me to f*** off
CORSA NUT

12th Feb 14 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh the cars looking sweet man, only thing I'd change is the slatted grill to the honeycomb type to match the bumper but that's just me being fussy
cheekyalex

12th Feb 14 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers mate, you should definitely investigate that astra. worst they can say is no.

I agree with you on the honey comb grill too, just waiting for an opel one to pop up for sale but don't see them very often
cheekyalex

12th Feb 14 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fitted Some LEDs into angel eyes (the lights on the left incase it wasnt obvious)

Amazing how much brighter they are then standard depo bulbs.

Still not sureif i shouldkeep them or use the DRL's as side lights and leave them unplugged instead?

open to ideas/opinions on this one

LukesCorsaSXi

13th Feb 14 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Proper good work mate! Looks like you know your stuff! I like the front lights tbh! Also where did you get the fog lights from? I need some for my bumper for the corsa... but as my front bumper is an irmscher airdam, the fog lights are like rocking horse shit.
ArdenblueDan

13th Feb 14 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Car looks amazing dude
N16K

13th Feb 14 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great project the astra, set backs are a bitch.

[Edited on 13-02-2014 by N16K]
cheekyalex

13th Feb 14 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LukesCorsaSXi
Proper good work mate! Looks like you know your stuff! I like the front lights tbh! Also where did you get the fog lights from? I need some for my bumper for the corsa... but as my front bumper is an irmscher airdam, the fog lights are like rocking horse shit.

Cheers mate. What size fogs does the irmscher airdam take?

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » V6 Mk4 Astra Sri Gsi lookalike now with added youtube clips 23 database queries in 0.1041071 seconds