corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Clean Flame Red Corsa B

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Clean Flame Red Corsa B
Corsameritturner

User status: Offline
29th Jan 14 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Corsa which was bought for me in 2012 for a bargain at £250 with 54k.

Corsameritturner

29th Jan 14 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alot has changed since then, but I have only just decided to post about it. (Sorry about the poorly taken picture.
Corsameritturner

29th Jan 14 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Money is tight for me being a student with a part time job and my uncle helps me with the work so things take a while. After doing all the necessary servicing items my main concern was with the wheels. They had these nasty granny trims on and where far too thin for grip. Wanted some vauxhall wheels. Found some Corsa C sxi wheels (pictures crap again) with good tread for £140.

Whilst at it we decided to put the corsa c sxi brakes on the front and got some new drums and bearings at the rear. Drums black and front calipers red. Work in progress...

Corsameritturner

29th Jan 14 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Next big job was the exterior and sorting out the rust that we found on the near quarter and on the rear drivers side arch

Looks like its had a shunt as the rear bumper was also stratched.

We wire brushed and cut the rust out and welded sheet metal back in its place. (Uncle did a good job)

Corsameritturner

29th Jan 14 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The next piss take was the Thatcham alarm which my Dad (and I) wanted fitted. Another job for my uncle as I have no idea on electronics. Seemed to take forever and caused a lot of grief, but glad now it is done. Now I could concentrate on the body work, especially those nasty black plastic bumpers. I managed to source some post 97 bumpers after buying some on ebay which were ****. I want a clean line for my corsa so wanted fully body colour in red. However getting my uncle recommended using 2-pack paint as it would chip less easily. There is a red colour very similar flame red which I used for both bumpers, bonnet and touching up. This is how the bumpers turned out after one coat.

These made a huge difference to the front of my car. As well as the debadged grill, which I went for as they are cheaper and in the end made a real difference.

Corsameritturner

29th Jan 14 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Eventually I would like a full respray, but that cost a lot of ££ which I dont have. Before we put the car back together we decided to tear it apart some more. To preserve the car we waxoyled the whole thing, Every inch. Removing all the interior apart from the dash. Heres some pics. This one shows off the vented discs and calipers with Dad doing something or other.

Its very clean for a 17 year old car inside, I was impressed, and glad to find no rust.

[Edited on 29-01-2014 by Corsameritturner]

Corsameritturner

29th Jan 14 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After passing in feb 2013 we had finally managed to get it fully finished, insured, mot'd and tax by June. And I was pleased with how it looked.

corsa-torque

29th Jan 14 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like a great base to start with and looks like your getting busy with it despite lack of funds :thumb:

What size are the corsa C sxi brakes?? Don't think I've ever come across that conversion
Corsameritturner

29th Jan 14 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not much happened for a while except putting in somedecent JBL speakers and driving it.
Then I had a few issues over the year another new water pump needed as the recent one was faulty.
Next my exhaust started blowing and sounding rather raspy and I noticed a hole had appeared at the seam. I soon got it replaced with a standard vauxhall one as my not overly keen on big shouty exhausts, and my uncle said he could always make me a larger bore.

After changing the exhaust I noticed a knocking from the rear and it was the exhaust hitting the rear bear. I've read about this and tried to lift it. Is the only other option to cable tie some rubber to the rear beam like I've seen?
Steve
Premium Member

29th Jan 14 at 13:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice base
Corsameritturner

29th Jan 14 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa-torque
Looks like a great base to start with and looks like your getting busy with it despite lack of funds :thumb:

What size are the corsa C sxi brakes?? Don't think I've ever come across that conversion

Thanks has taken over a year to get to that stage.
I'm not sure as my uncle purshased them for me. They are either the 256mm diameter corsa b gsi vented discs or the corsa c sxi 260mm vented discs.
Corsameritturner

29th Jan 14 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I now had a list of things that I wanted doing with priorities:

-Source a cheap 5 speed box (maybe a donor car)
-Get some a decent set of springs and dampers
- Good head unit
-Urethane bushes
-Sort out the interior
Corsameritturner

29th Jan 14 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In October 2013 I heard that my mates brother had smacked up a Corsa B 1.2 which he was just going to scrap as was getting a new car. I thought I must have a look at it, for parts and a five speed gear box. He had hit a tow bar and the front wasn't nice but the gear box and engine seemed fine. I bought the car for £80/£100 and it still had £40 worth of fuel in. The only let down was that it was a four door, so most the interior parts won't fit. We teared it out for everything i need or might need and scrapped the shell. Another bonus is that this model has anti roll bars which my merit doesn't which should boost the handling.
Corsameritturner

29th Jan 14 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Due to A-levels and work taking up most of my time, not much has been done on the corsa for a while except a new head unit which I got bought for Christmas by my family.

I would like a sub and amplifier as I have two rear speakers from the other silver corsa to go in.

We now have plenty to do but not the time.

Hopefully the gear box will go in before May time.
The five speed needs some attention though as the merit runs on a manual speedo, yet the silver corsa is electronic. So apparently we need to use a nylon gear.
Corsameritturner

29th Jan 14 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just after Chirstmas I got my uncle round to check the exhaust knocking and he found out that one of my wheel bearings was very loose. The car was road bound untill it was fixed or it could cause some major damage. A new one was order and fitted as the bearing must have been bust as they had only been changed 12 months ago.
Corsameritturner

29th Jan 14 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After doing some internet shopping I found a suspension kit which I could resist. I decided coilovers where too expensive by far for my budget. So a standard kit would do. I knew that brand mattered so looked at spax and blistein and they were still too expensive. Then I came across some Koni STR.T suspenion kit for £235 which sounded good. Then I found some in the clearance for £180 for full set of springs and shocks! Even though they are not adjustable dampers they will still make a huge difference to stock handling hopefully. I will let you know when they are on. They lower the car by 35mm too so should sit a bit nicer.
Corsameritturner

29th Jan 14 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They have arrived, can't wait to fit them

I was looking at polyurethane bushes and was wondering what STRONGFLEX are like? I've heard of powerflex but they are £180 for a full set. These STRONGFLEX ones I've found are £100. http://www.strongflex.eu/en/
Steve
Premium Member

29th Jan 14 at 15:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that was quick, 7 mins
basslinecorsa
Premium Member

29th Jan 14 at 15:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like a great base vehicle, really clean

not heard of strongflex, but to be honest any polybush kits will give a huge advantage over the standard vauxhall rubbers

Project Scarlett - http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=661417
Corsameritturner

29th Jan 14 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also considering buying some interior spray paint to do the carpets, seats and dash in a red and black combination like this (but red)

Which are the best types of paints to use for both, carpet/seats and for dash/trim and what brand is best for quality?

Corsameritturner

29th Jan 14 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
that was quick, 7 mins

Haha these have all been previous things. The suspension kit arriving is current. Tbh I only ordered it late Monday night.
Kieran
Premium Member

29th Jan 14 at 15:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't for the love of god paint the interior. Keep it all black.
Corsameritturner

29th Jan 14 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kieran
Don't for the love of god paint the interior. Keep it all black.

The problem is that its not black at the moment, but this nasty grey colour. The seats, door cards and carpets are the priority and will be black. The rest I'm unsure on. Btw how much did that flocking cost? Looks good
BeetleGav

29th Jan 14 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Please don't paint the interior red! Looks cheap.
Check my build thread for my old flame red below
Christopher

29th Jan 14 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just buy a black dash and carpet from a scrapyard buddy! Looks a clean base

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Clean Flame Red Corsa B 24 database queries in 0.0124462 seconds