corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Garden fences

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Garden fences
Andy Stocker

User status: Offline
25th Jan 14 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there any sort of agreement or what stance can we take with our neighbours with regards to fences.
All along our row of houses the etiquette seems to be that the fence to the right of the garden is the home owners responsibility, and looking down the gardens neighbours give themselves the 'bad' side of the fence so the neighbour has the good side.
Our neighbours to the left just had a new fence fitted and have given us the bad side to essentially now we have 2 bad sides and they are the only house with 2 good sides of fencing.
Can anything be done about this??
Gary
Premium Member

25th Jan 14 at 15:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah put another fence up on your side.

If your neighbour put a fence up but didnt even mention it to you he's clearly a cunt.
Andy Stocker

25th Jan 14 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He told us he was doing it, the issue is that we've now been left with the back of the fence panels on both sides of the garden, whereas they both good panels left and right and are the only house that has this.
It seems the common courtesy is that the side you pay for you give yourself the bad side so that everyone has a good and bad side?
taty

25th Jan 14 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That seems strange to me
Round here if your paying for the fence you get the good sides
_Allan_

25th Jan 14 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd rather have two the same than a mismatch anyway. On your bad side can you not just put featheredge board all round or put up a fence in front as said. At least it will all look the same.
Ben G

25th Jan 14 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One side should always be the bad side, as far as i'm aware.

Left side is our bad side and right is good. Neighbours on the right put a fence up giving them a good side also, but left the old fence there.

Bit of a non issue for me, but I know some people don't like the bad side of a fence.

Knock and ask why. Maybe they weren't aware.
John

25th Jan 14 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never understood this bad side bit.

I've got 2 bad sides, 1 was already up, I volunteered for the other one.
Ben G

25th Jan 14 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Suppose it depends whether it's concrete posts with panels that slot in (both sides look nice) or wooden posts which stick out and look a bit naff.
John

25th Jan 14 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The guy on one side of my built his out of metal angle iron, metal strapping, then wooden slats, post bits on my side, I was just happy to not have to pay for the fence. The bits that need maintained are also on my side, bit stupid on his part imo. Not the sort of guy that looks like he'll just leave it to fall apart, so would then need to ask me for access.

On the other side, I had to split with the neighbours, standard wooden posts and wooden slats, I said I'd have the posts on my side.
Pop

25th Jan 14 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I always understood it to be a little bit of an unwritten rule that if you have fences either side of you one will be showing the good side and the other the bad one.

However, having said that we put up fences in our back garden all round.

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=640908&highlight=1&pid=8512676#pid8512676

As we were paying for the whole lot we contacted our neighbour who rents out their house and asked if they had any objection to us having the good side. As they don't live there they had no issue.

[Edited on 25-01-2014 by Pop]
John

25th Jan 14 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What do you do if it needs maintained?
Pop

25th Jan 14 at 22:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not sure if that's directed at me?

All being well they will require little to no maintenance for the next few years. At the end of the day there are only four panels between us and next door, so if needed we could lift out and replace them.

Fence panels don't cost much in the grand scheme of things.

[Edited on 25-01-2014 by Pop]
John

25th Jan 14 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You aren't allowed on their side unless they let you. What if some neighbours from hell move in?

I hadn't considered it being those panels right enough, never liked them, they don't last long.
Pop

25th Jan 14 at 23:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To put the panels in didn't require anyone to set foot on our neighbours land so in theory we should just be able to reverse the process if needed. With a couple of bodies it's not really very difficult to lift a panel back out.

The old panels that eventually succumbed to the weather were worse quality and held together with wooden posts. They lasted for lots of years so I think these ones will still be going strong for quite a few years yet.
Andy Stocker

26th Jan 14 at 04:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apologies for the following language ..... but the basically the guy has posted up on Facebook that he loves his new fence.
I will get a pic as he is dumb enough to have an open profile to show you what he has and what his workers left behind.
Literally it's perfect his side and all his old shingle and soil is our side. My girlfriend has said to get even not mad but it's hard not to see the trees from the cheap wood
RichR
Premium Member

26th Jan 14 at 09:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fit arris rails and feather edge boards on your side of his fence. That way you get a more attractive finish on your side - make sure you creosote the internal structure several times and it'll last.
Seany

26th Jan 14 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just chuck all the shit he left back over his side.then out up a few panels on your side and post it to his timeline.
Rob_Quads

26th Jan 14 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought the written/unwritten rule was that if you owned the fence then you had to have the bad side i.e. thats how you can tell which fence you own as its the ones you have the bad side of.
Typically this will be one of each on either side except an end properties which will have two.
Andy Stocker

26th Jan 14 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
I thought the written/unwritten rule was that if you owned the fence then you had to have the bad side i.e. thats how you can tell which fence you own as its the ones you have the bad side of.
Typically this will be one of each on either side except an end properties which will have two.

This is what we thought. But as I've said he's been all over Facebook saying if we wanted the good side we should have paid for it. Even though our fence we own we have the bad side as does every other house left and right as far as the eye can see
AndyKent

26th Jan 14 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do you even have your neighbour on facebook
Andy Stocker

26th Jan 14 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't, but he's dumb enough to have an open profile
Andy Stocker

26th Jan 14 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ben G

26th Jan 14 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I quite like the horizontal bars tbh. Gives it more. Character. Flat fence panels are boring.

Shame about the shit left behind. Put it all in a wheelbarrow and leave it on their driveway.
RichR
Premium Member

26th Jan 14 at 17:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it was me; I'd put arris rails ( the horizontal bars) level with the post surface and then run feather edge boards continuously along the whole run; you won't see any posts or structure then and it looks quite effective and 'minimalist'. The posts are already in so the rest is straight forward.
Andrew

26th Jan 14 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your neighbours should have consulted you initially whether or not you get on. It's a change to your property and there must be some law in place for this. Give a solicitor a call for a quick chat. A letter for say £150 will shit your neighbours into resolving the situation. It's also in there best interests this does not go to court. Keep a copy of any Facebook messages as this will help any case.

If you start hammering nails onto your side of the fence, your neighbours will not be best pleased i am sure. They have paid good money for that fence after all.

However, you cannot expect the good side if you are not paying a penny towards the costs if you have agreed for a new fence to be put into place.

[Edited on 26-01-2014 by Andrew]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll