corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Tile drilling

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Tile drilling
STEvieXE

User status: Offline
19th Jan 14 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey guys, need to drill holes in tiles to for a new shower screen. Was told to get a diamond tip drill bit and go dead slow but found out you can get tiles drill bits. Anyone any experience of this? What's my best way to go?
Dave

19th Jan 14 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it's only a few and you are going through wall tiles a normal tct masonry bit will go through easy enough, try and spray some water on it whilst drilling, don't apply too much pressure and make sure the hammer action is off.

If you don't have a masonry bit you might as well get a proper tile bit, the ones that go to a point are easier to use than the hollow diamond tipped ones. Again use water to keep the heat down and take it steady.
STEvieXE

19th Jan 14 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have no problem with buying a bit, I'm just petrified of breaking a tile. There fresh laid and very expensive. Tile bit slow speed, a lot of water while drilling is my safest bet then? Tiles are porcelain and very thick
Dave

19th Jan 14 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unless you go about it like a spanner the chances of breaking a tile are pretty slim, from experience you are more likely to break the tip off the bit.
carl roper

19th Jan 14 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Offer the drill bit up to your mark first, and give it a few light taps with a hammer. Then put the drill bit into the drill and drill without the hammer action. Never cracked a tile doing it that way
whitter45

19th Jan 14 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From experience the tile bit is much easier

Go slow otherwise they overheat and fall apart
pow
Premium Member

19th Jan 14 at 16:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The last thing I'd do is hammer the bit onto the tile
Rob_Corsa

19th Jan 14 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tile drill bits are so much better than massonry bits on tiles. Have a look at Toolstation for them. I got mine from there and they were excellent quality
BeetleGav

19th Jan 14 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If they are porcelain you will need a diamond tipped bit and plenty of water.
You will be there for 30mins each with a masonry bit and will likely melt it
Dom

19th Jan 14 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tile drill bit, masking tape (over hole area), take it easy and let the bit do the work (try not to apply too much pressure; switch off hammer action obviously); have found out the hard and that method is near enough fool proof

quote:
Originally posted by pow
The last thing I'd do is hammer the bit onto the tile

Yup, no need if you stick a bit of masking tape over the area as that'll stop 'bit slip'

[Edited on 19-01-2014 by Dom]
STEvieXE

19th Jan 14 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So just to clarify a tile bit is best for a porcelain tile. As opposed to diamond tip
Dave

19th Jan 14 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The carbide bits are easier to use as they have a point, a decent quality one will also drill enough holes in porcelain to allow you to fit a shower screen, as long as you keep it cool. I used a horrifically expensive Armeg one a bit back but it probably drilled 50+ 6mm holes in very hard porcelain tiles.

Diamond bits usually cut quicker and last longer but cost more and unless you are using a guide you normally have to start them at a 45degree angle until it bites, then lift up to 90, takes a bit of getting used to.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

19th Jan 14 at 20:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

never used anything but a masonary drill but with some tape on the tile
VegasPhil
Premium Member

21st Jan 14 at 22:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did it in our brand new bathroom for toilet roll holder and shower screen. Was dreading it.

Masking tape, pencil, brand new drill bit and take your time. Will be confident doing it again now.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
harrisp

26th Jan 14 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A guy I used to work with used to just do it with a standard masonry bit on hammer I used to cringe every time he did it, he was always right though until the day he cracked a large tile. It was a great "I told you so" moment.

New Poll