corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Vince the star silver 1.0

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Vince the star silver 1.0
Root

User status: Offline
   10th Jan 14 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got the car in Oct ,13. Had a few problems when I got it, noisy water pump, knocking exhaust and a few electrical gremlins. Since buying I've sorted the water pump, all electrical issues and gave it a good service.

Current problems are:
Knocking exhaust
Quiet horn
broken passenger seat

Going to edit and update thread tomorrow with some pictures and progress.

ps: it has a cool registration number.
Root

11th Jan 14 at 23:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So this is why my exhaust was quite noisy, this and the clamp was angled so it knocked on the rear beam like a persistent woodpecker.

Tried tackling taking old one off and replacing myself but one of the bolts was very stuck on so had a friend come help, here's the new exhaust all done. just a bog standard one.

thank you luke.
heres quick snap of our corsas. Mines the one in front, obviously parked like that to give better access to the exhaust when changing it.

Also I got some speakers that were bigger than Vauxhall wanted me to have, so some very rough cutting later and I got my component speakers fitted which sound quite nice.

Looks very bad but its my first go on an angle grinder and doesnt need to look neat as nobody will see it:

Finished product though:

Kick panels went back on no problem but going to have to modify the bits that cover thw tweeters as theyre large.

That's all for now. I'll try update tomorrow with more progress if I make any but may be busy. Cheers
corsa-torque

12th Jan 14 at 00:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They do sell adapters to fit speakers, rather than the angle grinder method you've used.

Does the door handle trim fit over those tweeters???
Root

12th Jan 14 at 06:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa-torque
They do sell adapters to fit speakers, rather than the angle grinder method you've used.

Does the door handle trim fit over those tweeters???

I bought and used adapters but the back of the speaker was too wide.

if I cut a hole they will fit back on yes
basslinecorsa
Premium Member

13th Jan 14 at 15:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you tried to roll the windows all the way down yet? I had to use adaptors that built the speaker out so that the magnet allowed the window to open.

Project Scarlett - http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=661417
Root

13th Jan 14 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by basslinecorsa
Have you tried to roll the windows all the way down yet? I had to use adaptors that built the speaker out so that the magnet allowed the window to open.

yep, both roll down fully luckily
Root

13th Jan 14 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not had time to update today as Ive been recovering from work and a pulled muscle in my chest but ill update tomorrow with few bits. This thread won't be very fast paced but I've got a few bits ordered so there will be progress.

Ive been trying to cut the tweeter trim covers to shape but it's tedious work, if I have to leave them off, im still happy though
Root

15th Jan 14 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I ordered a grill from the Interwebs, it was meant to be a black debadged one but I was sent a chrome style one, I've fitted it to the car to see how I like it, I can't be bothered to send it back, if I really don't like it I'm going to spray it black. I also fitted some HIDs, I can't stand country roads in an old car, it's like the headlights are powered by candles. So heres a pic of the progress:

I've also had to order some new brakes as the discs are fucked, the pads have plenty of meat but I'll replace them too and save the oldies as spares. More updates soon.

[Edited on 16-01-2014 by Root]
Root

18th Jan 14 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New lights, thank you flame.

Fitted, they do suit silver corsas.

Root

19th Jan 14 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just a pic, still waiting for new brakes to come..should be tomo hopefully.

pro8186

19th Jan 14 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got some clear rears what will look better, where u from, 20 quid they're urs.
Root

20th Jan 14 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pro8186
Got some clear rears what will look better, where u from, 20 quid they're urs.

Sorry Im going for a silver and black theme so need dark lights cheers though
Root

4th Feb 14 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well the past few weeks have been fun, no such updates but I've been trying to get the car through an MOT.

I first began fixing a few parts that I knew would fail, the passenger seat (no pics), the horn...bought a new one from halfrauds but due to it not being a GM one it had different connections so that needed soldering on..the old one on the left, the new one on the right..

Next I needed to sort out some tyres as one on the front was close to the legal limit and another was probably illegal so I went to visit my astra in the garage..

I ended up leaving the garage with my astra looking like this...

and Vince, my corsa, looking like this...

So I took it for it's first test, which it failed on the rear lights (for multiple things) and a CV boot. It also had a few advisories, which were exhaust blow in middle, rear wheel bearing and track rod end rubbers.

So I spent a few days changing the track rod ends, which was very fun to do..I was assured by the bloke at the motor shop that the fork type of ball joint splitter was much easier to use than the other kind, I believed him as it was also cheaper so he had no reason to sell me it..

Well what a crock of shit that was. I spent hours trying to smash the ball joint off with the fork type of splitter, until I came to the conclusion that it wasn't coming off, a trip to the shop later I came back with this..

So about 20 minutes of hacksawing on each track rod end later and I'd achieved this..

and then this

YAY.

Called it a day because it was dark..

The next day I began a very daunting job that I've not done before, you guys who posted in the help zone helped me out loads..

After not very long I managed to get the driveshaft out after buying a 30mm socket for the front castle nut.

So then the Haynes told me to look for a circlip to get the CV boot off the driveshaft, I was looking for a very long time and getting very frustrated, inserting circlip tools and very tiny needle-like pliers into the boot to trying dislodge a circlip that was never there in the first place..

So after some chatting on here, someone told me some driveshafts don't have the circlips, so I assumed mine was one of them, picked up my driveshaft and began whacking the living shit out of the CV boot. Few hard hits and it came off. Got a new boot fitted

Then I nipped up the wheel bearing and changed the rear lights to standard and my HIDs to standard, that was on Saturday and although I had a free retest with my MOT, I decided to take it to another place over the weekend as I had work over the weekend (driving), so took it to a £20 MOT station, wasn't expecting a pass from them as they could have said the exhaust was a major leak, in their opinion, or they could have found something the previous tester missed. Well, after a scary 50 minute wait, passed with 1 advisory which was that my front tyres/wheels were rather big and could cause problems scraping in the arch, so he advised moving them onto the rear axle.

Happy days. Got some new discs, brakes and old calipers for it but I need to find the allen key that fits into vauxhal calipers, what size is it again, if anyone remembers? Cheers
Sean

4th Feb 14 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

7mm allen key for the sliders, did you smash the fuck out of the cv joint with a claw hammer? Suprised the guy in the shop didnt sell you the tool for stretch cv boots over the joint.. saves alot of time/hassle.
Root

4th Feb 14 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sean
7mm allen key for the sliders, did you smash the fuck out of the cv joint with a claw hammer? Suprised the guy in the shop didnt sell you the tool for stretch cv boots over the joint.. saves alot of time/hassle.

You sure its only 7mm? I thought it was more. Yeah I first tried with a lump hammer and got nowhere so tried with a claw hammer afterwards. The cv boot I bought wasnt one of the stretchy types I dont think..either way jobs a good un and I know how its done for next time haha
Sean

4th Feb 14 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you mean the carrier to the hub or the caliper to the carrier?
Root

4th Feb 14 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I mean the 2 bolts at the back of the calipers that once undone release the caliper from the disc, leaving it only connected by the brake fluid line. Cheers

Edit: be useful if haynes gave sizes of nuts etc for us that dont own every tool

[Edited on 04-02-2014 by Root]
Root

9th Feb 14 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Realised that after all, I might not be able to get those specific brakes on my car so may fit them on my astra and get something that will fit. Couldn't get the carrier off a astra 1.6 8v as on the astra the carrier is kind of built in...

anyway I didn't want to post a 'update' without a pic..

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Vince the star silver 1.0 24 database queries in 0.0136752 seconds