corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Michael Schumacher sustains 'serious' head injury while skiing

New Poll
  <<  6    7    8    9  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Michael Schumacher sustains 'serious' head injury while skiing
Y869 SRA

User status: Offline
16th Jun 14 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
quote:
Originally posted by Scotty_B
I'll be shocked of he ever wakes.

Ben G

16th Jun 14 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

3 Facepalms
Dom

16th Jun 14 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
Its interesting to see there have been no reports other than out of a coma i.e can he say/do/indicate anything to anyone or is he a vegetable?

He won't be a vegetable....

He's out of a coma but there's nothing to suggest he isn't unconscious and in a (persistent) vegetative state - PVS means the patient is awake but lacks environment and/or self awareness.
If he is PVS then it's slim pickings, now that it's over six months, that he'd ever gain consciousness; hopefully that isn't the case though.

Gary Hartstein's blog is well worth a read; he goes into a lot of detail regarding Schumacher, head traumas and safety around motorsport.
Ben G

16th Jun 14 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know what pvs is, I remember studying about it in college.

I'm sure if he was in such a state, they would not have released such good sounding news.
spencer88

16th Jun 14 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What was he doing at PVS?
Ben G

16th Jun 14 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Knew someone would say that
Dom

16th Jun 14 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I'm sure if he was in such a state, they would not have released such good sounding news.

All they've released is that he has been moved and is out of a coma, no other information is given about his condition. So he could well be conscious or he could be in PVS.
Ben G

16th Jun 14 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I reckon he's conscious in some form.
taylorboosh

16th Jun 14 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sub conscious imo
Balling
Premium Member

16th Jun 14 at 20:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I don't know enough (anything) about these sorts of injuries to speculate, but sounds to me like you're making a pretty big assumption.

A slightly alternate take on the news:
http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/2014/06/16/good-news/

Ben G

16th Jun 14 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Assumptions have to be made in this instance as we've only been given one paragraph of information.
Kyle T
Premium Member

16th Jun 14 at 22:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
I don't know enough (anything) about these sorts of injuries to speculate, but sounds to me like you're making a pretty big assumption.

A slightly alternate take on the news:
http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/2014/06/16/good-news/

Gary Hartstein has been spouting shit about Schumacher since his accident. Stuff like "He'll not survive the week/month/moon cycle/etc"

It's almost like he WANTS Schumi to be a goner.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Dom

17th Jun 14 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
Gary Hartstein has been spouting shit about Schumacher since his accident.

Oh i don't know, medically trained doctor, working in motorsport for the last 20 odd years, F1 MD for five - i think he has a better understanding of head traumas than you, me or this entire board combined

Obviously his pessimistic and realistic views (he already mentions this in a number of blog posts) don't match yours, fine; but to say he's spouting shite, when clearly he isn't, is a bit......

[Edited on 17-06-2014 by Dom]
Kyle T
Premium Member

17th Jun 14 at 15:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Gary Hartstein has been spouting shit about Schumacher since his accident.

Oh i don't know, medically trained doctor, working in motorsport for the last 20 odd years, F1 MD for five - i think he has a better understanding of head traumas than you, me or this entire board combined

Obviously his pessimistic and realistic views (he already mentions this in a number of blog posts) don't match yours, fine; but to say he's spouting shite, when clearly he isn't, is a bit......

I'm not doubting his credentials, and who says that I have a particularly optimistic outlook on Schumachers fate? I've not got that opinion because he disagrees with what I hope/think!

He's got a typically headline grabbing writing style - frequently turning non-events into dramatic indications of doom, and so far Schumacher has outlived about 10 of his predictions of expiration

I've flicked through his blog and a bunch of his articles have been taken down - either complaints/personal attacks got too much or he's realised how far off his doom-mongering was.

If he's professional he should be able to realise that each case like this is different - and he should keep quiet as he's clearly not exposed to the details, which makes his speculation no better than any of us on CS.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Dom

17th Jun 14 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
He's got a typically headline grabbing writing style - frequently turning non-events into dramatic indications of doom, and so far Schumacher has outlived about 10 of his predictions of expiration

If he's professional he should be able to realise that each case like this is different - and he should keep quiet as he's clearly not exposed to the details, which makes his speculation no better than any of us on CS.

Yes, information is extremely scarce and Hartstein doesn't have exposure to the exact details (same as everyone else) but he mentions this plentiful throughout his posts (near enough all of them tbh) and clearly points out that his views are generalised because of this.
His posts are extremely pessimistic (isn't that doctors all over?) and sometimes they make for grime reading but given his vast experience dealing with these exact types of injuries, Hartstein's blog posts offer's a far better insight to the situation, the injury, and recovery and provides factual information to back this all up, than what's being dished up by other media outlets.

Just look at the recent flurry of articles surrounding the news of Schumacher being moved out of ICU; majority of them offer a false sense of hope, making it appear that all is well and he'll be up and around in no time when quite clearly that isn't the case (it's far, far worse).

And Hartstein predicting Schumacher's 'expiration'? Give over!
He hasn't mentioned anything of the sort, certainly not on ten separate occasions, other than stating (multiple times) that patients which continue to stay in a coma or PVS situation dramatically reduce the chance of a full recovery - which is completely factual and true.

Ben G

17th Jun 14 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You mention the word reduce. So theres still a chance that he can indeed make a full recovery? Thats good news in my book.
Kyle T
Premium Member

17th Jun 14 at 17:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How long have you been following his Blog? I skipped through it earlier to grab you some quotes but a lot of that page has been pruned. It wasn't just Blog content either, but the subsequent comment exchanges between him and the followers.

Again, I'm not doubting his credentials - I followed him on various outlets since reading Sid Watkins' book some time ago, very interesting career and he's done some cracking work.

He is however a piss poor blogger, even skimming back over the content that hasn't been pruned he's had to come up and backtrack on a couple of occasions with regards to both comments and blog content.

I'll continue reading his stuff, because the "day in the life of" stuff is pretty interesting - but I find myself skipping through his Schumacher stuff most of the time because I genuinely feel he adds any value to the speculation done by any other mainstream media outlet, forum or blog. His job/career just gives him an opportunity to rank his tripe higher than the tripe that anybody else is spewing

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Dom

17th Jun 14 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
How long have you been following his Blog?

Not sure what this has got to do with anything but sometime towards the end of last year when he wrote a post about doping and tacrine which i found through Google.

quote:
His job/career just gives him an opportunity to rank his tripe higher than the tripe that anybody else is spewing

I'm still confused how you can say this when his posts offer far more of a medical insight and factual information into head traumas and Schumacher's situation than what's being published by other outlets.
Certainly i'd rather read Hartstein's blog than drivel from the likes of the Daily Mail but each to their own i guess

quote:
You mention the word reduce. So theres still a chance that he can indeed make a full recovery? Thats good news in my book.

Of course and i'm sure everyone hopes he does but unfortunately if Schumacher is PVS/in a coma then statistically, the chance of a full recovery massively decreases with every day he's in that state.

Saying that, the Telegraph and the Bild have articles stating that he's supposedly is some form of conscious, responding to voice and touch and communicating with his eyes. Certainly excellent news if that's the case but i guess it's just a rumour until it's confirmed.

CorsAsh

9th Sep 14 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just been reported by his publicist that he's out of neurological rehab and at home with his family to continue his recovery.
whitter45

9th Sep 14 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

great news although still no clearer on his actual condition - but safe to say I didn't think he would get this far

i don't think he will ever be the same man again but its great news that he is on the mend

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29130742
Ben G

9th Sep 14 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Still holding out hope. Would be so great to see him partake in F1 in some form again. Not saying he'd drive the cars, but maybe a behind the scenes position?

Honestly can't believe he's made it this far.
Rob_Quads

10th Sep 14 at 07:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I personally think he's in quite a bad way. Being at home does not mean he isn't still very ill may never recover to anything like a normal life.
The fact that have not given any indication as to how he is recovering i.e. has he talked? they have said communicating but thats very different - that could be a blink of the eye

<<  6    7    8    9  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Michael Schumacher sustains 'serious' head injury while skiing 23 database queries in 0.1942809 seconds