corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Locost + Fireblade = Locoblade Winter rebuild commences

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Locost + Fireblade = Locoblade Winter rebuild commences
boylers11

User status: Offline
12th Apr 14 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been a while since I updated this. I've only been doing an hour here and an hour there, so haven't done a lot but have accrued plenty of items, including rubber chequer plate matting for the floor, oil and filter, coolant and brake fluid ready for a few weeks time.

Had a bit of trouble sourcing the correct wheel bearings, but spoke to a really helpful chap who's sending me a pair ASAP.

After 4 weeks of waiting for the bodywork (I was shitting myself, as I hadn't heard anything from him and had bank-transferred payment as he didn't have PayPal-won't be doing that again!), it finally arrived in grey gel coat and he ended up being very honest and reliable, he had just run out of material supplies so was waiting for a delivery himself!

Not sure whether to vinyl wrap the parts or spray with that plastic spray paint stuff, any advice?

boylers11

12th Apr 14 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, and I've welded the roll cage back in. I certainly have a lot of respect for people who can weld neatly, it looks far easier than it is!!
boylers11

18th Apr 14 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got loads done today, being the first good weather day on my day off this year,

Fitted a new rear wheel bearing

Washed the harnesses (only got a before pic)

Fitted the rubber chequer plate flooring ready for seat installation

Crap pic back in the garage

Also welded throttle pedal to the chassis and re-plumbed the coolant system and changed the filter and oil

[Edited on 18-04-2014 by boylers11]
boylers11

20th Apr 14 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Trial fitted the rear panel today, still need to do some bracket adjustment/modification. I'm getting all the panels lines up first, then I'll be removing them and vinyl wrapping before refitting

boylers11

21st Apr 14 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got it started today, ran sweet as a nut. It revs so quickly it's unreal! My wife took a video of the start up on her phone, but the sound barely works, so it's not worth watching! I'll try and get a better one later in the week! Really pleased, thought I was going to come up against some problems with the engine!
boylers11

5th May 14 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's alive! It sounds a bit 'tinny', cos I hadn't fully joined the exhaust up, but you get the idea!

http://vimeo.com/94069571
boylers11

14th May 14 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a load done today:

Fitted my smaller steering wheel

Stripped and sprayed the roll bar and bolted the petrol tank in

Bolted the seats and harnesses in

And began fitting my carbon fibre side panels , then got called to do other jobs, so had to stop!

boylers11

17th May 14 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cycle wing stays bolted on, just need bending to shape when I can get it outside tomorrow

boylers11

17th May 14 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Opinions on colours needed please....
It's orange on the v5 and I can't be bothered changing it, so I'm choosing between the oranges in the picture.
Either the 4th top right or the neon orange underneath.
What do you think?

daine
Premium Member

17th May 14 at 19:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got to be the bright one!! can't have a beautiful car hidden under a dull colour
boylers11

18th May 14 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Daine, neon orange ordered!

boylers11

18th May 14 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Managed to get to rest of the carbon side panels cut and fitted today

Along with the front cycle wings which need another coat of paint (excuse the flat tyre! That's being changed soon)

Also planning a carbon rear boot lid with hinge so aid filling her up instead of mounting the filler cap in the rear panel

daine
Premium Member

18th May 14 at 21:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Car's took a great transformation in the very capable hands of yourself!!, just a bit worried about the
power to weight ratio with the live axle! when its up and running, have a chat to Ste off hear, built no bought! how hard it would be to change

[Edited on 18-05-2014 by daine]
boylers11

22nd May 14 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Daine, nice to see that someone finds my thread remotely interesting. It might not have 1000000 horse power, but I thought it was an interesting re-build! Thanks for the comments, I understand what you're saying about the rear axle and in all probability, I will eventually end up changing it, but I just want to get it on the road now in time for some nice weather, I'm quite impatient like that!
I'm keeping an eye on Ste's build, but his tools and fabrication skills and mechanical knowledge seem to be way above mine!
boylers11

8th Jun 14 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Getting there slowly....
daine
Premium Member

15th Jun 14 at 15:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hope when you come to spraying it!, bonnet,nose cone, back and all four wheel arches are going to be that beautiful bright orange.
And with the side panels being carbon (black) will look As....

P.s what colour you doing the wheels!?!?!? and don't say black Ffs lol.
boylers11

16th Jun 14 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The rear panel, scuttle, bonnet and nose cone will be going orange mate, the sides are staying raw carbon and the arches from and rear are going black I'm afraid. The arches take some abuse from stone chips (particularly the rears), so it'd be a waste doing those orange, as they'd need re doing regularly to look smart.

As for the wheels, if they clean up ok, I might keep them silver, unless I can think of something different that doesn't clash with black and orange!

Really need to push and get it finished now or summer will have come and gone!
boylers11

29th Jun 14 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yet more done today. Whilst fitting the nose cone, I discovered that the replacement isn't quite as wide as the original, which meant either sourcing an even narrower radiator or modifying the nose cone - I chose the latter, so I hacked a small section out of one side and bagan making a carbon fibre 'vent' to bridge the hole. It needs another top coat, then I can flat it down and polish it up:

Then once I had fitted the rear panel, I decided that the rear end looked a bit bland and I had some ally lying around, so I fabricated a basic rear diffuser (non-functional I suspect), but it gives the rear end more purpose:

Then I put her back in the garage for another night ( the rear arches will be being attached this week level with the bottom of the rear panel), then once all of the attachment holes have been drilled, I can dismantle it again and spray the rear panel orange

Haimsey
Premium Member

29th Jun 14 at 22:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just read through your thread.
It's come a long way and is looking great now.
Quite like how it looks from the rear.

Keep up the good work and updates

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
daine
Premium Member

30th Jun 14 at 05:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one dude! the diffuser looks spot on, weather its functional or not. Really starting to take shape
now, can't wait to see it finished
RichR
Premium Member

30th Jun 14 at 09:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What did you use to make the CF vent?
boylers11

30th Jun 14 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers lads!

I had a small piece of carbon fibre left from my skinning kit from carbon mods. It's a base coat, then carbon fibre, then a few coats of hard coat, then sand and smooth and buff up to a gloss finish.
It's not going to look A1, as the piece of carbon fibre I had left was barely big enough, I just thought that wrapping the tatty aluminium template was better than the raw ally.
Kingswood636

30th Jun 14 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great build. Always have a look for these kit cars on ebay! Rear diffuse does look great!
RichR
Premium Member

30th Jun 14 at 13:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by boylers11
Cheers lads!

I had a small piece of carbon fibre left from my skinning kit from carbon mods.

that's alright, was just seeing where you had bought the materials from.
boylers11

30th Jun 14 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been experimenting with fog light and number plate positioning.

Do we think this would be ok for the fog light? I'm velcro-img the number plate on and only want to drill the rear panel once for the number plate light.

Options for number plate position are as follows (I know which I prefer but just wanted opinions):

Option 1

Option 2

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Locost + Fireblade = Locoblade Winter rebuild commences 24 database queries in 0.1146650 seconds