corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Kids tablets

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Kids tablets
Jimbothebarbarian

User status: Offline
21st Nov 13 at 02:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My eight year old girl wants a white Ipad for Xmas. Wheres the best place to get one on the cheap or can anyone suggest an alternative?

Type white iPad into google or eBay and the results are beyond comprehension for an middle aged technophobe like me...

Cheers
John

21st Nov 13 at 08:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just buy a nexus 7, unless it's an actual iPad she/you want.
Steve
Premium Member

21st Nov 13 at 08:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why the fuck does an 8 year old need or want an ipad, like fuck would I be getting that, they'd be told to go outside.

Parenting tips aside, I would take Johns advice, if its solely for them.
Brett
Premium Member

21st Nov 13 at 09:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My 8yr old has an ipad, got it last christmas. Most kids in her class have tablets, some even have mobiles ffs (although I can't really see the point in a mobile). There's some great educational apps for it that they use with school like Mathletics where the teacher tracks their progress and hands out certificates, etc. Got it all locked down too so she can't go on dodgy stuff so don't see the problem.

I'd feel bad gettin an alternative if I was letting the kid think it was an ipad. It's the same kids who go in school flashing their Nicks when their folks have told them they're Nike

Just get a second hand iPad2 if you don't want to spend much.

[Edited on 21-11-2013 by Brett]
Balling
Premium Member

21st Nov 13 at 10:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My 4 year old nephew has an iPad. I don't see the issue at all.

People tend to think that kids who own a computer/phone/tablet never puts it down, but reality is that it's just another toy in the pile.

Most places around here are having sales on the pre-retina iPad mini, so should be able to pick up a deal on one of those, if you don't feel like going second hand.

Brett
Premium Member

21st Nov 13 at 10:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In an age of computers, you're only hindering your childs progress with a view like Steves imo.
Steve
Premium Member

21st Nov 13 at 10:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kids these days have no imagination because of shit like this.

IMO, as of course their is never going to be a an agreed right or wrong way.
Brett
Premium Member

21st Nov 13 at 10:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, my daughter has a great imagination. The tablet/netbook is a great resource to be able to express that imagination so IMO I'd disagree.

She writes countless stories, lyrics, draws, even powerpoint presentations for homework ffs, at age 8! A tablet is pretty much a glorified pen and paper or textbook.

It's what you make of it I suppose.

ed

21st Nov 13 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had computers since I was about 5. I don't see how having an iPad is any different?
Steve
Premium Member

21st Nov 13 at 11:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmm, I suppose looking back i was fucking about with a ZX Spectrum at that sort of age, I guess it depends on how much of that is mixed with doing hands on stuff playing with physical objects and outside activities
John

21st Nov 13 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's more the internet and easy access to information than tablets themselves I think. There still has to be some learning going on and not just a culture of googlers. You need at least some background knowledge to be able to pick out the online wheat from chaff.
Brett
Premium Member

21st Nov 13 at 11:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Hmm, I suppose looking back i was fucking about with a ZX Spectrum at that sort of age, I guess it depends on how much of that is mixed with doing hands on stuff playing with physical objects and outside activities
Lol giving a child a tablet isn't to replace things, it's an addition. To think they wouldn't play or go out anymore is a little extreme

reaudioxxx

21st Nov 13 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/apple-ipad-mini-with-retina-display-16gb-wi-fi-319-with-30-cashback-possibly-289-1708355
reaudioxxx

21st Nov 13 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or the latest one ipad air

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ipad-air-wifi-16gb-black-white-359-with-code-asda-direct-1717198
Aleex

21st Nov 13 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

definitly just go for an ipad
Bart

21st Nov 13 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Why the fuck does an 8 year old need or want an ipad, like fuck would I be getting that, they'd be told to go outside.

My daughter has been using an iPad since she was 2.
The teaching and learning benefits are huge; numbers, colours, animals, alphabet, counting, brain development, hand-eye coordination, the list goes on.

I don't know why I'd tell her to simply go outside, she probably uses it once every couple of days for less than 30 mins at the most.
Scotty_B

21st Nov 13 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Getting my 5 year old son a Tesco Hudl. Great tablet for the price and not earth shattering if it breaks, unlike an ipad.

Great learning tool.
Dave

21st Nov 13 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My 6yr old son has his own iPad, my dad gave it him his old iPad2 when he bought a new one.

I have no problem with it, it's down to the parents how much and what they do on it, plus he knows if he misbehaves the first thing that happens is we take it away. Certainly not the only thing he plays with either, his favourite pastime is playing out with friends followed by messing with Lego.
Cole

21st Nov 13 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got my 5yr old a Hudl for Xmas my 2yr old has an iPad
Cavey

21st Nov 13 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My 2 and a half year old has used the kindle, and our phones for a year or so. We'll be getting her one for her birthday next year.

Was looking at the kids ones, but they seem restricted and money pits in that you have to use their own brand things that no doubt cost a fortune. May as well get her an android tablet with apps and YouTube etc.
Russ

21st Nov 13 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
quote:

My daughter has been using an iPad since she was 2.
The teaching and learning benefits are huge; numbers, colours, animals, alphabet, counting, brain development, hand-eye coordination, the list goes on.

I don't know why I'd tell her to simply go outside, she probably uses it once every couple of days for less than 30 mins at the most.
mines had access to one since october 2010 when she was 6 months, at 18 months she could spell elephant..
Dan
Premium Member

21st Nov 13 at 20:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
mines had access to one since october 2010 when she was 6 months, at 18 months she could spell elephant..

My boys been using one the same sort of time as megan russ. Hes doing 100 piece jig saws on it in like 15mins! The amount they can learn on them is amazing.

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Cavey

21st Nov 13 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup, my littlun loves doing Pairs on it, she can do massive ones with no problems now.

Only problem is if we leave her on youtube, within a few minutes she's found Spanish or German versions of Pocoyo, or Curious George, or Peppa Pig, or whatever she's watching.

Have found out she loves classic Pink Panther though

As long as you do stuff with them as well as letting them have these kinds of things it's fine, and they'll grow up geniuses
pow
Premium Member

22nd Nov 13 at 12:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are GREAT for kids as long as they aren't fixated on them. That's when the problems come
Jimbothebarbarian

22nd Nov 13 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I've ordered a iPad mini in white. Basically because so many people reckon their kids get on great with them. But mainly what daddies little princess wants daddies little princess gets....

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll