corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Power to a Shed

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Power to a Shed
pow
Premium Member

User status: Offline
9th Sep 13 at 11:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dad and I are putting up a new shed in the back garden and decided as we are putting a big boy shed it we might as well put power down there...

Are we allowed to just run some armoured cable in some plastic conduit tied to the fence down the garden? Can't be bothered to dig a trench There will only be a light and a couple of sockets for charging drills etc in there, nothing high power, it'll be spurred off a ring main with an RCD spur. Would that be alright?
RichR
Premium Member

9th Sep 13 at 11:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not sure it even needs to be in conduit if its run high and visible - although it'll be neater in conduit.

I've dug mine though as I didn't want cables all over the place. Its overkill but I went for 6mm2 rather than 4mm2 just in case I want to run anything with higher current in the future.
pow
Premium Member

9th Sep 13 at 12:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not going to be high, it'll be under a hedge/alongside a little wire fence...
RichR
Premium Member

9th Sep 13 at 12:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As I understand it though, if its in conduit, it doesn't need to be armoured so long as it is a sealed environment; i.e. the ends of the conduit are blocked up and it terminates in IP rated junction boxes.

[Edited on 09-09-2013 by LiVe LeE]
pow
Premium Member

9th Sep 13 at 14:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks matey
Welly Wanger

9th Sep 13 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just use armoured cable and some cleats for it what you can screw to the bottom run of fence
Rob_Quads

10th Sep 13 at 15:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Dad and I are putting up a new shed in the back garden and decided as we are putting a big boy shed it we might as well put power down there...

Are we allowed to just run some armoured cable in some plastic conduit tied to the fence down the garden? Can't be bothered to dig a trench There will only be a light and a couple of sockets for charging drills etc in there, nothing high power, it'll be spurred off a ring main with an RCD spur. Would that be alright?

No in simple terms. As soon as your going outside like that then it needs to be done by someone approved. Technically you could run some of the cable but it can't be buried as for someone to sign off the work they would need to be able to see all the work and then finish it off (even then its not strictly allowed as your not allowed to sign off someone elses work)

Now if it were to have a plug on the end of the cable that might be a different matter I think.

Ignoring the legality what you are suggesting seems fine.
pow
Premium Member

10th Sep 13 at 19:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can put a plug on it no problem
Gary
Premium Member

10th Sep 13 at 20:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it's got a plug then your all good. Just have someone stick you an outside socket in. Even a 16/32 amp supply (via a socket obv) would be fine.
pow
Premium Member

11th Sep 13 at 11:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What if i just run it to an inside socket?
John

11th Sep 13 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just fit it the way you want and remove it if the house is ever sold, if anybody even cares, which they won't.
Dom

11th Sep 13 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Just fit it the way you want and remove it if the house is ever sold, if anybody even cares, which they won't.

Do this! Although if you stick a plug on it and it's inside then i believe (could be wrong) it's classed as an extension lead and you don't have to get it signed off etc etc
oceansoul

13th Sep 13 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
If it's got a plug then your all good. Just have someone stick you an outside socket in. Even a 16/32 amp supply (via a socket obv) would be fine.

3 Pin plug tops are only rated to 13A. So you couldnt run a 32A supply from a normal socket.
Gary
Premium Member

13th Sep 13 at 12:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No but you could if you got a 32a socket installed.

New Poll