corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Buying off Plan

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Buying off Plan
stuartmitchell

User status: Offline
9th Sep 13 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi Team,

Anyone here bought a new build off plan before? If so did you manage to negotiate a reduction in price and extras thrown in (tiles, carpet) etc etc?

I've seen an identical house in the same development and been inside etc so know what it looks like but we prefer the one on the plan thats not even had the foundations laid yet

Any help much aprpeciated as always!

Stu
John

9th Sep 13 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They'll probably be less eager to discount the ones which aren't built yet than the ones that either are, or are nearing completion. It'll depend on how popular the development is though.
stuartmitchell

9th Sep 13 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

See there is one up for sale just now which is built (the one we viewed) but the timings just not right just now for reasons I wont bore you with. Should be ready to move by April next year so thats why I thought off plan option would be good.

Currently one home is being "reserved" in this development every 2 weeks. I'm not sure if thats good or bad?
sc0ott

9th Sep 13 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whos the house builder and whats the site name?

I know the houses we build come with what youre asking, but yes you can have incentives thrown in for free.
sc0ott

9th Sep 13 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Year end is normally about june anyway so that will be an even better time to buy a new build.
Hammer

9th Sep 13 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I managed to get what works out to be 5% off a new build from plan and we were the first to reserve one, don't know if that was an attributing factor or not but the sales bird assured us she just wanted the ball rolling. Got White Goods thrown in but was pushing my luck with floor coverings.

That was with Persimmon who have a year end of December. I think a lot of it is down to luck with timings etc... to be honest.
stuartmitchell

9th Sep 13 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sc0ott
Whos the house builder and whats the site name?

I know the houses we build come with what youre asking, but yes you can have incentives thrown in for free.

It's Walker Homes mate and the development is Hazelbrooke in Kirkliston.

It's only £500 to reserve a house and get the bal lrolling but want to see what I can get out of them first

Hammer - well noted mate. Sounds like you got a good deal
Jimbothebarbarian

9th Sep 13 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bought one about 10 years ago off plan. Got about 10% off, fees paid, better specced bathroom, all carpets and floor covering chucked in, different style skirting boards etc etc. Even got the fences higher and front and back gardens landscaped rather than just the front.

Took some haggling like, but got my own way in the end.
stuartmitchell

9th Sep 13 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ace! If I could do something similar that would be great! Still a buyers market so I'm happy to haggle all day long lol!
sc0ott

9th Sep 13 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Theres barratt and david wilson sites in kirkliston as well, should look into those, in fact i think theyre next to each other.
Theres also a few new sites coming up in the surrounding areas. South queensferry being one.

Kirklistons only a couple of minutes from the forth bridge as well, you could buy the same house on the fife side for cheaper in dalgety bay, dunfermline etc.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

9th Sep 13 at 19:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wait until the end of the month to do a deal. They will want your reservation fee the most then!

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
John

9th Sep 13 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think they'll care about £500 reservation fee. They normally want to rush completion (they rushed me 2 months) to get funds in by a certain time.
baza31

9th Sep 13 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

These building firms don't worry as much as people make out . They will have a price to work to from word go. They employ sales folk to feed you a load of bollocks to make you think that they are giving you more than the next customer . In reality their prices are massively inflated anyhow and margins are large. A carpet and some tiles are fuck all to them
John

9th Sep 13 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't think anyone was aware of that baza, cheers.

They still want houses sold for certain dates though.
Hammer

9th Sep 13 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ian
Site Administrator

9th Sep 13 at 22:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did it, saved a bit off retail but I agree with baza. Although there's always room to carry on talking. I personally found it cheaper to source my own carpets and appliances even after their discounts. Plus their selection wasn't very good. Bit more faffing with deliveries and being there but it was worth doing.
MarkM

10th Sep 13 at 06:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Correct Ian. If I arranged my own carpets upstairs and blinds all round the builder gave me an extra £5000 off the price of the house. For £3000 I could arrange better quality carpets and blinds than they would have fitted anyway meaning a £2000 saving and better quality finish.

I also got a decent discount on the price because the house was half built and they were coming to their financial half year.
Hammer

10th Sep 13 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's based on the assumption the option is money off the price of the house with carpets not included or a higher cost price with them.

In reality there probably won't be 2 owners within the development that have paid the same price, it is up to you to negotiate the lowest price you can and then chance your luck with other things before you sign anything. You can't get cheaper than FOC at that point so regardless of how much a roll of carpet and some tiles costs a builder you're benefitting.
baza31

10th Sep 13 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Don't think anyone was aware of that baza, cheers.

They still want houses sold for certain dates though.

By reading the above comments it doesn't look like they are aware . More blinkered by salesperson bullshit . Your probably the type that fall for said tactics so I wouldn't expect you to understand anyhow
John

10th Sep 13 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got a good deal on my new build but I still know that they make massive profits on it. They sold my PX'd house for 30k less than they gave me, which means that even after my deal, they had another 30k that they could afford to lose on the new one.
stuartmitchell

10th Sep 13 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sc0ott
Theres barratt and david wilson sites in kirkliston as well, should look into those, in fact i think theyre next to each other.
Theres also a few new sites coming up in the surrounding areas. South queensferry being one.

Kirklistons only a couple of minutes from the forth bridge as well, you could buy the same house on the fife side for cheaper in dalgety bay, dunfermline etc.

Looked at both Barratt and David Wilson mate but both estates were pretty cramped and the finishes were better with Walker. Bird also wants to remain in Edinburgh (amazingly Kirkliston is still classed as Edinburgh )

So would you guys recommend getting as much off the base price of the house then arrange the following yourself?

- Tiling
- Carpets
- Turfed garden

etc etc

Cheers

Stu
Ian
Site Administrator

10th Sep 13 at 16:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No harm even telling them what you're up to, see what works out cheaper and go with that.

As an additional tip, I had a mortgage offer for a lot less than they were asking and took that with me. Guy could have ended it right there and told me it wasn't enough but they took it on. That was actually easier than haggling because it was there in black and white saying I didn't have the top price they were asking.

If you want to know how much you're really being ripped off, take a look at your buildings insurance and see what the rebuild cost is. I think they can do mine for about 53k. Cost me nearly three times that.
John

10th Sep 13 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's not really how much you're being ripped off, they need land for starters. They are still making tens of k profit at least though.
Jimbothebarbarian

10th Sep 13 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit different to the last new build I haggled on. 45k list price that I got down to £39950. Then I got the other stuff after that.

To be honest I don't think I'd buy a new build again. Just seemed so small and made from paper and sticks if you get what I mean. Snagging list was fucking epic and a nightmare to get finished. But I may of just been unlucky...
John

10th Sep 13 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New builds are small if you buy a small new build.

Snagging depends on builder but you get what you pay for. Mine is Taylor Wimpey, snagging hasn't actually been that bad. Finish isn't amazing but I can live with it.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll