corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Apple iPhone 5s/5c

New Poll
  <<  29    30    31    32    33    34  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Apple iPhone 5s/5c
Balling
Premium Member

User status: Offline
2nd Oct 13 at 09:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Screen on the 5/s/c just isn't high enough res, doing a lot of zooming in that wasn't necessary on the nexus.
Physical resolution (pixels per inch) of the iPhone (4 and newer) is higher than the Nexus.

That you need to zoom more on a 4" display than a 4,7" should go without saying. Changing the resolution wouldn't fix that.

John

2nd Oct 13 at 09:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, I mean what I originally said, it isn't high enough resolution. I don't need to zoom in because my eyesight is bad, I need to zoom in because it's illegible.

It's missing 128 pixels in width which is causing most of the problem.
Steve
Premium Member

2nd Oct 13 at 09:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Couldnt use a 4" screen now, just too small
Balling
Premium Member

2nd Oct 13 at 09:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
No, I mean what I originally said, it isn't high enough resolution. I don't need to zoom in because my eyesight is bad, I need to zoom in because it's illegible.

It's missing 128 pixels in width which is causing most of the problem.
I'm not sure if I don't follow or if you're mistaken.

The physical resolution of the iPhone is high enough to render crisp text at 0.5 mm height. Most people would need to zoom or put the phone all the way to their face to read that.

Upping the res wouldn't make such text legible, only upping the size would do that. Hence more screen real estate or zoom.

Again, the Nexus isn't higher physical resolution, so I'm not sure how the comparison makes sense for anything but screen size?

[Edited on 02-10-2013 by Balling]

John

2nd Oct 13 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If both phones are in portrait orientation, the iPhone is 128 pixels short in width than the nexus. This is the difference. I'm not sure if it's how the things are being displayed on screen but I'm 99% sure (was 100 until you questioned) that it's just lacking pixels.

I see it when I load CS for a start, another good example of simpsons tapped out, there just aren't enough pixels so when I've came directly from a nexus with a higher resolution screen, I can't get as much on screen at the same time. If the number of pixels on the 4" iPhone screen matched that of the nexus, I wouldn't have this problem. I'd have the same amount on screen, it would just all be smaller.
Balling
Premium Member

2nd Oct 13 at 10:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
If the number of pixels on the 4" iPhone screen matched that of the nexus, I wouldn't have this problem. I'd have the same amount on screen, it would just all be smaller.
When talking top down games like Tapped Out, then yes, that would often be the case. The exception being games developed specifically for screen res (think Word Feud), which would look exactly the same just larger/smaller.

When talking websites, no.

Most touch browsers (not to say all that I know off) scale content based on screen width, not based on 1:1 pixel mapping (as desktop browsers do).

Whether you hold your phone in landscape or portrait, you'll initially load a website in full width. Adding more pixels in the same physical space would make no difference to which text is legible and which isn't, seeing as the phone is already capable of rendering text sizes smaller than you could easily read.

Hence, the only way you'd avoid the extra zooming that you're currently doing, would be to get a bigger screen.

John

2nd Oct 13 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Naa it's not that. It could be just the way the iPhone displays it though and not the physical pixels. Or it might be that it could re flow differently if it had more pixels.

I am completely sure I don't mean the screen size.
Balling
Premium Member

2nd Oct 13 at 10:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I don't follow you at all then.

On the software side, anti aliasing and text rendering is pretty spot on in iOS.

The physical resolution is as high as it needs be and requires you to use a magnifying glass to reveal pixel level details.

Sounds like you're on about something magical "behind the scenes" stuff as when Ash compares Android to iOS.

I certainly can't see what it is the Nexus 4 does differently, in terms of display, except being larger.

A2H GO

2nd Oct 13 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think the nexus screen looks pixelated compared to the iPhone. The standard circle clock on the home screen looks terrible, so does the text.

Not sure if this will help (not supported by everything yet):

John

2nd Oct 13 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nothing behind the scenes, if I hadn't sent my nexus away I would have tried to do a couple of screenshots.

The nexus has more pixels, so can have more stuff on screen at one time, irrespective of the size of the screen.
John

2nd Oct 13 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've still got access to a nexus, if I get time over the weekend I'll try and get pictures of what I mean.
A2H GO

2nd Oct 13 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why have you sent it away?
John

2nd Oct 13 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a replacement new one which I gave to my mum, had to send my one back before they charge me for it.
Balling
Premium Member

2nd Oct 13 at 10:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
The nexus has more pixels, so can have more stuff on screen at one time, irrespective of the size of the screen.
Your complaint was that the iPhone was illegible, so you had to zoom in.
Now it sounds to me like what you want is to zoom out.

And like I said, both browsers will scale to full width, so I'm not sure in which cases you find that you can have more on the screen.
Except if we're not talking websites but apps, in which case it's a developer issue more than a hardware issue.

The screens are capable of (and in most cases will) containing the exact same amount of information. Difference being the size it's rendered in.

And yes, rendered at the same size (physically or pixel-to-pixel), the larger/higher res screen will show more.

Don't go out of your way to get screenshots, I'm just curious as to what exactly you're getting at.
In the end, if you prefer one phone/screen over the other that's nothing to me, you just usually argue a better case.

Either way I'll maintain that adding more pixels to the iPhone screen would make zero difference.

A2H GO

2nd Oct 13 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I don't need to zoom in because my eyesight is bad, I need to zoom in because it's illegible.

quote:

For apps it depends on the way they've been developed, a couple of screenshots I did in the Nexus thread...

Youtube showing (slightly)more content on the iPhone (I'm sure you can find apps whereby the Nexus shows more content)...

Both stock browsers, text is more ledgible IMO on the iPhone at the standard zoom level. Granted that's probably down the the poor rendering of that particular page on android.

John

2nd Oct 13 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it displayed everything like it did with the CS front page that would be fine. If you go down a level it doesn't use the full screen. That's what I mean. If it done that, it would be fine.
Rob_Quads

2nd Oct 13 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats what mine looks a level down. How is it not using the full screen?

[Edited on 02-10-2013 by Rob_Quads]
Balling
Premium Member

2nd Oct 13 at 13:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't hotlink to dropbox Rob.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/60isjbv3yz2x38n/2013-10-02%2014.12.48.png

John

2nd Oct 13 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is hotlinked dropbox if it works.

Rob_Quads

2nd Oct 13 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine looks different to that. You on iOS 7.0.2?
Balling
Premium Member

2nd Oct 13 at 13:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Picture does work.

Curious how John's 5s on iOS 7 doesn't crop the top menu bar as Ash's 5 on iOS 7.

Think I'm still going to have to call shenanigans on that comparison.
Either that or Ash's phone acts differently from anyone else's.

Balling
Premium Member

2nd Oct 13 at 13:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
Mine looks different to that. You on iOS 7.0.2?

Rob_Quads

2nd Oct 13 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So it does - some dodgy css no doubt

[Edited on 02-10-2013 by Rob_Quads]
A2H GO

2nd Oct 13 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The screen content area actually gets bigger as you scroll up and down as the address bar and bottom bars shrink/disappear in Safari.

What surprised me was that in most cases developers aren't taking advantage of the larger screen size most android phones offer.

For example on the youtube app, they've got enough screen (on the likes of the Note and S4) to for example put two videos in the results list side by side effectively showing double the content but instead present exactly the same UI as the smaller screens just blown up. Unless I've got poor eyesight that's of no benefit to me whatsoever.
A2H GO

2nd Oct 13 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
Either that or Ash's phone acts differently from anyone else's.

I was on the Beta at that time so maybe that's why...

<<  29    30    31    32    33    34  >>

New Poll