corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Plex media box for a tenner!

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Plex media box for a tenner!
Brett
Premium Member

User status: Offline
12th Aug 13 at 14:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When you go through the signup, it takes you to a point where you do need to enter card details, but at that point simply close the browser, the account is created, just not with a subscription.

[Edited on 12-08-2013 by Brett]
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

12th Aug 13 at 15:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks guys appreciate the tip.
willay
Premium Member

13th Aug 13 at 07:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just a follow up, did as Brett says and all worked fine.

I got this device for a friend who wanted a media box for his TV and for the money it has done a fantastic job. I've never played with Plex before but from what I saw on his PC when I was installing it - fantastic free program.
Brett
Premium Member

13th Aug 13 at 08:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was getting well pissed off first try thinkin I had to enter card details to use the damn thing. Closed the browser in a rage, went back later and saw it was signed in lol
Brett
Premium Member

13th Aug 13 at 08:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like what it does with tv shows btw, how it arranges all the seasons and plays the theme tune in the background
willay
Premium Member

13th Aug 13 at 09:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah man its quite awesome
AdZ9

13th Aug 13 at 09:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would you recommend this for my situation, my current set up is:

Downstairs Living Room:
- SkyHD+ (normal usage plus iPlayer etc as it's connected via phoneline and ethernet)
- Xbox 360 (using TVersity on my PC to stream 720/1080 films and any DVDs, connected via Homeplugs)

Upstairs Main Bedroom:
- SkyHD Multiroom (no +, just normal function)
- PS3 (again, used to play DVDs and stream through TVersity on PC connected via Wifi)

But I want to move my Xbox into my Office so I can play it more, but I also don't want to lose the streaming functionality in the living room as we use it a lot. The PS3 is also gash with Cinarvia on some films so I'd ideally like to replace that in the bedroom and keep a streaming functionality.

Would you recommend getting one of these to replace the 360 downstairs for the streaming? Although I'd obviously lose a DVD player, so i'd perhaps move the PS3 downstairs and also get a box in the bedroom for streaming.

I've been wanting to get a proper set up sorted for months, now we own the house I can obviously do what I like and don't mind running wires etc if needed, but I want a good setup with minimal fuss. I also have a MacBook that I sometimes download on, so ideally something that can work with that streaming to the boxes as well would be ideal.
Rob_Quads

13th Aug 13 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would not replace a 360 with one of these. It lacks the power to be a real replacement. Its also only 720p.

If your wanting something cheap, a XBMC running on a Raspberry Pi may well do the job
Brett
Premium Member

13th Aug 13 at 11:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm using one over my 360? The interface is a million times better. This also plays things the 360 won't. This is assuming there hasn't been some amazing 360 update, guessing not. 360 is also about 10 times the size and makes noise where this doesn't? This is also a tenner delivered so it's hardly worth the effort writing lots of questions, just check it out and judge for yourself. I got two originally, showed people mine setup then ended up ordering 4 more RPi will end up 5 or 6 times this cost of this also.

[Edited on 13-08-2013 by Brett]
Dom

13th Aug 13 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
RPi will end up 5 or 6 times this cost of this also.

Four times at most. Either way, both are completely different - ones a media streamer that requires a backend server, the other is a media player.
Cavey

13th Aug 13 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So in conclusion. These boxes would be fine to replace the 360 and PS3 for streaming. As said, it eliminates cinavia which had been pissing me off on a few downloads. And its tiny and silent.

They are wireless only though. So make sure you're wireless reaches wherever you want to put it. Also the audio out is stereo, so not sure how the surround sound works if you care about that.

[Edited on 13-08-2013 by Cavey]
Brett
Premium Member

13th Aug 13 at 11:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could you link me to one with everything required including remote for £40 delivered? Was dearer than that when I looked but I feel like we've been on this topic before. No doubt a properly setup RPi would own both tho.

Back to 360 vs Roku, i'd still choose the Roku. Downside as mentioned is needing the server running but it's no biggie, ran my 360/TV the same way.

Notice how Corpse Bride isn't listed on the 360, because it can't play that format.

Plex

Dave

13th Aug 13 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it possible to use Netflix on these or would you need the "proper" Roku?
LeeM

13th Aug 13 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just these http://www.strayed.co.uk/2013/07/29/now-tv-box-full-list-of-available-channels/
Brett
Premium Member

13th Aug 13 at 11:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can do channels through Plex also, but not Netflix. Had 4od on there up until recently whilst they work on it (so I read).
Dom

13th Aug 13 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Could you link me to one with everything required including remote for £40 delivered?

Already went over costs and where to purchase the needed parts and as for a remote control, you can either use CEC (most modern TVs support this) and your TVs remote; use your smartphone as there are plenty of really good XBMC apps; spend £2 and put together an IR receiver and use a compatible remote or splash out £10 for a USB device.
Unfortunately it sounds like you just looked at the expensive packages and took it that that was the cost rather than actually following what was said.

Anyway, there's pros and cons to both setups so it depends on your situation i guess.
Brett
Premium Member

13th Aug 13 at 12:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably, I want the numpty 'ready to go' package, not something where I have to dick around. I also want its own remote, my daughter doesn't have an amazing TV or a smartphone. I've got one in 3 different rooms now. I've got every room connected for £30, where as I couldn't sort one room with an RPi for that. Come on, bang for buck you can't really beat these NowTV boxes imo.

willay
Premium Member

13th Aug 13 at 12:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For ease and no fucking about, the nowtv is fanastic.
Dom

13th Aug 13 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Probably, I want the numpty 'ready to go' package, not something where I have to dick around. I also want its own remote, my daughter doesn't have an amazing TV or a smartphone. I've got one in 3 different rooms now. I've got every room connected for £30, where as I couldn't sort one room with an RPi for that. Come on, bang for buck you can't really beat these NowTV boxes imo.

It's a great solution if you don't mind the 720p limit and have a Plex setup/server running or you have a server or decent spec'd NAS box, for transcoding, to install the Plex server software on. Unfortunately, not many people do.

As said, different solutions to different problems and what works for one won't work for someone else et cetera, et cetera.
Brett
Premium Member

13th Aug 13 at 13:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Plex server runs on a decade old machine worth about £15 that's sat in the garage, not really a big deal imo.
Eddie.2k

13th Aug 13 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any mac/bthub 3 users?

Got my hard drive plugged into the back of the hub.
Windows lets me access my files fine but my mac gives me this error

The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “USB_Disk” can’t be found.
Simon

19th Aug 13 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just got mine and got the basics setup. I can't seem to find a definitive answer to this but is there any way I can play a DVD in my computer through this?
willay
Premium Member

19th Aug 13 at 19:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quick google suggests only if you rip the DVD first.
Simon

19th Aug 13 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah assumed I could do it that way but be good if you could play it directly. Not Ripped a dvd for yonks! What's good software these days?
Cavey

19th Aug 13 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Usually easier to just download a copy from somewhere than to mess around ripping it

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll