corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Chromekey

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Chromekey
John

User status: Offline
24th Jul 13 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/24/google-chromekey/

Good for people without smart TV's but a bit of a strange time release it when just about all new TV's are 'smart'.
Cavey

24th Jul 13 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit pointless if it requires separate power, surely they could of got it powered through the tv?
John

24th Jul 13 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

HDMI only supplies 50mA as far as can see which won't be enough to run it.

[Edited on 24-07-2013 by John]
Cavey

24th Jul 13 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough, still a bit annoying. I won't be getting a new TV for a couple of years, and keep getting Cinavia protection on 720p rips on the ps3 so something like this would be good
pow
Premium Member

24th Jul 13 at 18:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lovely jubly will get one when they come out for iPlayering from my phone to my age old TV
Russ

24th Jul 13 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

chromecast?
Dom

24th Jul 13 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
Bit pointless if it requires separate power, surely they could of got it powered through the tv?

Just use the USB port on your TV

Tbh i think it's pretty decent, especially multi-platformed, and there's plenty of smart TV's that are shite at being 'smart' so it fills that gap whilst also being a bit of a rival to Samsung and Apple offerings.
Hopefully with the SDK being released today other manufacturers will start getting the protocol implemented into hardware/software and become a decent alternative to AirPlay.

[Edited on 24-07-2013 by Dom]
ed

24th Jul 13 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks pretty good. Not all 'smart' TV's are equal, my TV might have some features like network streaming but it's missing other services like Netflix and iPlayer.
deano87

24th Jul 13 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ooooffft, like that. Shame not got WiFi upstairs at the Mrs now.
noshua

24th Jul 13 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Decent idea. Can see STB's going this way - either built in to the TVs or on stick
A2H GO

25th Jul 13 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Neat idea.

Be interesting to see what performance is like with flaky UK upload speeds since everything goes up to the cloud and back down to the dongle. I'd imagine there's some delay, especially with gaming.

Clever though, think of all the extra tracking they'll be able to do on you.
Dom

25th Jul 13 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
Neat idea.

Be interesting to see what performance is like with flaky UK upload speeds since everything goes up to the cloud and back down to the dongle. I'd imagine there's some delay, especially with gaming.

Clever though, think of all the extra tracking they'll be able to do on you.

Uploading? Nothing is uploaded to anywhere, it's all streamed directly from source
Cavey

25th Jul 13 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

"Importantly though, the mirrored content isn't beamed from your local device, but is streamed from the cloud direct to the dongle when you activate mirroring on a Chromecast-compatible service like YouTube or Netflix. At that point, your PC or mobile is freed up for multi-tasking, and for working as a WiFi-based remote control for the content on the bigger display."

Which I guess is why Ash said its another way of them monitoring you. Unless that's just badly worded.

Unless it means a localised cloud on your own wifi network, so you start playing something on your PC, the 'chromecast' it, it keeps playing in your "cloud" and on this dongle.

Which means I might not be able to stream downloaded things after all, just online based things.

[Edited on 25-07-2013 by Cavey]
John

25th Jul 13 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The stuff that particular sentence is talking about is all online. I'm not sure what it does with local videos, if anything.
A2H GO

25th Jul 13 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

"We did notice a slight delay between the time we tapped the volume buttons on a Nexus 4 or Nexus 7 and the time the TV changed volume. The touchscreen volume slider appears to be disabled during YouTube streaming, probably because it can't keep up."

"It's not particularly impressive yet: scrolling doesn't come close to keeping up with your finger, "

"it's a lot like streaming game services like OnLive and Gaikai, but with a lot more delay."

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/24/4553368/hands-on-googles-35-chromecast-a-streaming-tv-stick

May improve when it's not beta and it is cheap so can't complain really.

[Edited on 25-07-2013 by A2H GO]
Rob_Quads

25th Jul 13 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
I'm not sure what it does with local videos, if anything.

Simples... Nothing.

This sentance sums it up quite well on how it works..

"Just tap a button inside a compatible site or mobile app, like YouTube, and the device grabs the same clips, songs and pics from the cloud. "

they couldn't resist using the word cloud for internet

Cavey

25th Jul 13 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, so its no use for what I want then. Rubbish. I can use the ps3 for everything else, can link it to my phone and get it to play YouTube videos from my phone anyway, which in fairness is no use at all, but gimmicky
A2H GO

25th Jul 13 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
quote:
I'm not sure what it does with local videos, if anything.

Simples... Nothing.

This sentance sums it up quite well on how it works..

"Just tap a button inside a compatible site or mobile app, like YouTube, and the device grabs the same clips, songs and pics from the cloud. "

they couldn't resist using the word cloud for internet

What about an .avi movie you've got on your phone?

Or a game from the play store? Does it grab them from the cloud too?
John

25th Jul 13 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You are using your phone more as a remote than a streaming device.
A2H GO

25th Jul 13 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah, maybe I misunderstood the idea, I thought it was just a mirroring device for phones/tablets, a bit like an ATV that only had Airplay.
John

25th Jul 13 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I might be wrong, haven't had a chance to do anymore reading into it, but it doesn't sound like that so far.

Didn't pay much attention to the hardware either, at that price point it might not be able to play anything other than whatever netflix and youtube can present to it.
A2H GO

25th Jul 13 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To me it sounds like it could have been what I thought it was but Google decided to route everything through their cloud based chromecast thing, in the process restricting whats available to the companies who've 'signed up' or implemented the right API's in their products, rather than just locally mirroring everything.

Similarly, I haven't really looked into it so hopefully someone (Dom?) can clarify.

John

25th Jul 13 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's just running a version of Chrome OS, which is kind of just a browser.

quote:

It contains an ARM processor, Wi-Fi, and a cut-down version of Google's Chrome OS that allows Netflix, YouTube, and content being viewed in the Chrome browser or on Chromebooks to be streamed direct to the TV.

Dom

25th Jul 13 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
You are using your phone more as a remote than a streaming device.

In reality it's nothing like Airplay rather, in most situations, it acts as a remote when using online media. So switching to the ChromeCast within Youtube/Netflix causes ChromeCast to get the source directly (no Google routing; apart from Youtube if being pedantic), no routing the media through the phone. Only mirroring occurs when displaying something from a Chrome browser.
And currently, local media isn't supported although it's rumoured it'll be similar to a DLNA device - so media is streamed off your device.

[Edited on 25-07-2013 by Dom]
A2H GO

25th Jul 13 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So could you say, navigate to Ice Films (not sure if thats still even a thing) using Chrome on your phone and stream a film and have it be on your TV?

Actually, don't think that would work because doesn't the media usually open in a third party app?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Chromekey 24 database queries in 0.1936400 seconds