corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » HD TV...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author HD TV...
Gaz

User status: Offline
25th Jun 13 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's 2013 and I still don't have a HD TV. This has to change and this month I'll be getting a bonus from work so it's as good a time as any to start looking.

My requirements:
Must be HD (possibly 3D)
Requires a stand
Ideally around 40", dont really need anything bigger due to the space it will fill.
I dot want this hung on a wall as I don't trust the brackets and the layout of the room isn't suited to wall hung TV's

So, what's out there? What sort of money am I looking at? £300-400 or more...?

[Edited on 25-06-2013 by Gaz]
Russ

25th Jun 13 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/toshiba-40tl963b-40-3d-tv-last-few-richer-sounds-store-369-95-1588484
Russ

25th Jun 13 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sony-kdl40r473-with-free-sony-google-tv-nszgs7-internet-player-worth-149-439-hispek-1587315
Russ

25th Jun 13 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/samsung-ue40eh5000-40-inch-led-tv-1080p-freeview-hd-319-00-asda-instore-1582248
Russ

25th Jun 13 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what i'd buy going slightly over budget : http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/panasonic-viera-tx-l50b6b-led-hd-1080p-tv-50-inch-with-freeview-hd-499-95-john-lewis-1585043
Bart

25th Jun 13 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wouldn't bother with 3D tbh, its a dieing format, although most modern TVs will support 3D.

[Edited on 25-06-2013 by Bart]
Hammer

25th Jun 13 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gaz
I dot want this hung on a wall as I don't trust the brackets

Bart

25th Jun 13 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would first trust the brackets the most, then the wall, then your dodgy DIY
Gaz

25th Jun 13 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Russ for the links

Hammer/Bart - you got it in one, tbh - my walls aren't the best from the previous owner's dodgy DIY and I sure as hell ain't any better!
MarkM

25th Jun 13 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Talking of walls.. Mine are dry lined so plasterboard but maybe a bit thicker than that. It's a new build.

Do they do brackets that will safely hold a 50" smart TV?
John

25th Jun 13 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends what's behind the plasterboard.

I've got plasterboard which is dot dabbed onto thermal blocks, best thing I found for it, which did turn out to be great, was rigifix.
Gaz

25th Jun 13 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats the best: LCD, LED or Plasma?
(baring in mind I have a very active 14 month old little lad that likes to bash the screen)
John

25th Jun 13 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LED backlit LCD, Plasma has been a dying breed for years no matter how good they are, also heavy and hot and old.
DaSess

25th Jun 13 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
LED backlit LCD, Plasma has been a dying breed for years no matter how good they are, also heavy and hot and old.

Agree, LED backlit LCD all the way
Russ

25th Jun 13 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
scottish john, does it again
Gaz

25th Jun 13 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anything wrong with this? http://www.tesco.com/direct/toshiba-40l1353b-40-full-hd-1080p-led-backlit-tv-with-freeview-hd/221-9048.prd?skuId=221-9048
DaSess

25th Jun 13 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gaz
anything wrong with this? http://www.tesco.com/direct/toshiba-40l1353b-40-full-hd-1080p-led-backlit-tv-with-freeview-hd/221-9048.prd?skuId=221-9048

No good choice if you ask me!
Balling
Premium Member

26th Jun 13 at 06:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Plasma has been a dying breed for years no matter how good they are, also heavy and hot and old.
Steve, is that you?
Plasma has evolved more the last five years than LCD.

And why doesn't it matter how good they are? Bang for your buck plasma is a MUCH better choice than LCD.

Heavy? Wouldn't know, don't tend to carry my TV around.

Hot? Nope, not really any more hot than any other device that runs on electricity.

Old? Yeah, sure...

More fluid motion, richer colours, deeper blacks and greater screen real estate for your money? Yes, all of those too.

And if the requirement is a screen that can take a beating from a child then I'd imagine the glass front of a plasma would be better than the plastic of an LCD (though some LCD's do have glass fronts as well).
Either way I'd just recommend to learn the kid not to beat on the TV.

Russ

26th Jun 13 at 06:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gaz
its ok, quite thick, spend the extra on the sony with google tv
Russ

26th Jun 13 at 06:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
Plasma has been a dying breed for years no matter how good they are, also heavy and hot and old.
Steve, is that you?

And why doesn't it matter how good they are? Bang for your buck plasma is a MUCH better choice than LCD.

Hot? Nope, not really any more hot than any other device that runs on electricity.

Old? Yeah, sure...

More fluid motion, richer colours, deeper blacks and greater screen real estate for your money? Yes, all of those too.

And if the requirement is a screen that can take a beating from a child then I'd imagine the glass front of a plasma would be better than the plastic of an LCD (though some LCD's do have glass fronts as well).
dont come in here with your facts, john has spent all his money on an LED tv now that is nowhere near as good as newer tv's
DaSess

26th Jun 13 at 06:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
Steve, is that you?

Old? Yeah, sure...

I hear what your saying, I have never had a plasma so can't really comment on my own behalf but I know 2 people (1 being a family member the other a friend) who have had plasma teles and they haven't lasted them 3 years, which really put me off them. I have a Samsung full LED 3D smart tele at the moment which I bought new a while back now and cost me a arm and a leg at the time.
Plasmas are a lot cheaper which might put people off as they have 2 be cheap for a reason but if there good then why not save yourself the money, so you would recommend them?
What kind do you have?
Balling
Premium Member

26th Jun 13 at 07:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaSess
so you would recommend them?
What kind do you have?
I'm on my second plasma TV over the last 8 year.
This is evident by my huge upper arms, acquired while carrying around my heavy ass TV, and my nonexistent body fat percentage, a result of the sweat lodge like temperatures my living room reaches when the TV is turned on.
The heat from the TV is important to me as after having paid my enormous electricity bill, caused by my heavy, hot, old, inferior plasma TV, I simply don't have money left to pay for heat. Or food.

On a serious note.
You get cheap shitty plasma's just like you get cheap shitty LCD's, cheap shitty cars and cheap shitty anything.

It's a simple fact that while the LCD market has been focusing on getting the screen and bezel as thin as possible, compromising image quality in the process, plasma TV's have become better and better.

I will not recommend everyone to buy plasma due to the simple fact that thin bezels and screens have been developed for a reason. People love them, as the screen looks great when it's turned off.
Price for price comparison however, buying a plasma will get you a bigger and better screen compared to investing in an LCD.

John

26th Jun 13 at 07:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
dont come in here with your facts, john has spent all his money on an LED tv now that is nowhere near as good as newer tv's

My TV is years old now, definitely better out than there was then, would still be an LED backlit one though.

Everyone is moving away from plasma's which is the main thing that puts me off. I'll be buying a TV soon and it'll still be an LCD.

As Balling says, bezel, bezel, bezel. In saying that, Samsung seem to have went the opposite way for some unexplainable reason. The newer ones have a big massive clear plastic bezel now.
mwg

26th Jun 13 at 07:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/electronics/dp/B007JURG7O

Used the 3D on it a couple of times and never used it since, 3D really is over rated. Everything else on the TV is good though.
DaSess

26th Jun 13 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have this in my living room at the moment
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-UE46D6530-Widescreen-Internet-Freeview/dp/B004TB4YL2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372274297&sr=8-1&keywords=UE46D6530

I like it very good tele but i'm after a bigger tele for the living room so i can move this tele into the conservatory but i'm now thinking about plasma as after a bigger tele for the wall (60 inch maybe bigger) but the prices of LCD/LED are really expensive and the plasmas are alot cheaper and from what balling is saying sounds good especially for what you pay as i could be waiting ages for a 60 inch LCD/LED but just have to wait and see how it goes.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » HD TV... 25 database queries in 0.2005520 seconds