corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » 1995 Corsa GSi 16v

New Poll
  <<  14    15    16    17    18    19    20  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1995 Corsa GSi 16v
--ToM--

User status: Offline
8th Aug 15 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also what exactly are the coil overs failing MOT on? Because bump stops aren't an RFR
Dee25790

8th Aug 15 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tried running some redex through it and blasting it down the motorway. This and 30 or so quid left in the centre console will usually sort out an emissions problem on an mot
Ian W

8th Aug 15 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No mate, guy showed me today, loads of movement on the shock piston. Tbf they do look very well used and they have clearly been on for a long time. Gonna dig my standards out I think then assess the Coilover situation when it's all sorted. Don't really wanna be chucking some wanky FK's only it. It's only really a pain in the arse as I'm away from Wednesday until the end of the month and my retest period ends next Saturday :/
--ToM--

9th Aug 15 at 07:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bring it to me then
--ToM--

9th Aug 15 at 07:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Weak shocks isn't a reason for failure, only if they have collapsed to the point where the tyre is touching the body, sitting on the bump stop, or pissing oil out.
Steve
Premium Member

9th Aug 15 at 09:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The spring would need to collapse before that happened, the shock is there to damp the movement not hold the car up

Ferrari mechanic

[Edited on 09-08-2015 by Steve]
daine
Premium Member

9th Aug 15 at 18:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Weak shocks isn't a reason for failure
--ToM--

10th Aug 15 at 06:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know what a shock absorber does Steve, and why do you allways bring up where I used to work unnecessarily? Jelous? Waste man.

Regulations regarding shock absorbers

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_270.htm
Ian W

10th Aug 15 at 06:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It was point 2.4 that it failed on - Suspension bush is excessively worn.

There is a fair old amount of movement in the shock, when it's in the air you can shake the wheel and see the piston moving left to right in the shock. Probably makes no difference to how it drives but we all need that magic 12 month ticket don't we

Hoping to get it sorted before Wednesday then get my misses to take it back in. It it fails again then it'll be September
Dave_1987
Premium Member

10th Aug 15 at 07:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It would be a fail if its weak or has loads of movement in the shocker piston as Ian said. As in RFR 5 its has a negligible damping effect or if its movement between piston and body it would be RFR 5 an excessively worn pivot, bush or linkage.

[Edited on 10-08-2015 by Dave_1987]
--ToM--

10th Aug 15 at 07:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought it failed on the bush then you took it back with a bush then it failed on play but wasn't sure how he had failed it on play as there isn't a specific failure for it. The systems crap there's loads of things you can't fail cars which you should be able to.
--ToM--

10th Aug 15 at 07:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I get it now he's explained, originally the damping effect wasn't mentioned it was just play in the piston.

Anyway why didn't the tester notice it the first time round, I seriously doubt the play just appeared withing a few days lol
Ian W

10th Aug 15 at 07:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It failed on 2.4 that it failed on - Suspension bush is excessively worn.

When I removed the shock the bump stock was wankered. Tried googling the fail point but couldn't find much Replaced the bump stock hoping it was just that, turns out I was wrong

I'm going to stick the standards back on to get it through the test then see what to do about the coilovers.
Dave_1987
Premium Member

10th Aug 15 at 07:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alot of testers seem to fail something but not bother expalining whats actually at fault.
Ian W

10th Aug 15 at 07:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I only noticed the play in the piston when the guy showed me at the test centre on the retest.
--ToM--

10th Aug 15 at 07:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He should of shown you when he initially failed it then you would have known what he meant and it wasn't just the bump stop, the systems shit though you can only fail on what it has listed for you to fail it on so slot of the time you have to click on the closest thing to what you need then explain "look Iv failed it on this because of this" so it makes sense.
Ian W

10th Aug 15 at 07:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I agree, it was pretty confusing as I have never had a shock fail before. Now I know what it is it is an easy fix just a little expensive if I want to do it properly and replace the coilovers

Just a pain that I am away from Wednesday so if I don't get it fixed before then it'll be another full MOT on it for another £45
--ToM--

10th Aug 15 at 07:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I only charge £39 and I wouldn't have charged you a retest fee either because I like you. See ye next year haha
Ian W

10th Aug 15 at 07:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by --ToM--
I only charge £39 and I wouldn't have charged you a retest fee either because I like you. See ye next year haha

You might see me next month the way it's going mate

Out of interest what is the latest slot you do an MOT?
--ToM--

10th Aug 15 at 08:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haha 4pm mate can possibly do half 4 if it helps but means me staying late lol
Ian W

10th Aug 15 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by --ToM--
Haha 4pm mate can possibly do half 4 if it helps but means me staying late lol

Lazy bastard

I doubt I could get back from Widnes to Birko in time...maybe next year I will take a day off
Ian W

30th Aug 15 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Back from holiday on Friday night so after a chill yesterday I got cracking on the Corsa today to get it through the MOT asap.

Didn't go well sadly

The second cat that I have bought, this one from Autovaux is still not the right one ffs.

Decided to remove it anyway so I could get a decent picture of it to send to Autovaux on Tuesday.

Research leads me to believe me the cat I have been sent is for a C16XE.
--ToM--

30th Aug 15 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

MarkW is selling s dash mat in classified section mate
Ian W

30th Aug 15 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the heads up mate but I'm skint Got to MOT the Corsa, service the TT plus loads of other stuff this month

TBH I wanted one to cover up damage on the dash but I have a replacement dash ready to go in as soon as I get a few days spare.
anthcorsa

30th Aug 15 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

She'll be sorted soon lad. Each time I see this makes me wish mine was white lol

<<  14    15    16    17    18    19    20  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » 1995 Corsa GSi 16v 23 database queries in 0.1927090 seconds