corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » having trouble with decor ideas.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author having trouble with decor ideas.
Ben G

User status: Offline
14th Jun 13 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the missus and i never usually have a problem with this as we're both quite creative and willing to try vibrant colours, but i'm a bit stumped with regards to colour choice.

we've had a brown/cream/teal living room since we moved in and we recently ordered new sofa's in a dark purple colour. this means the whole living room will now need to be re-decorated.

problem is, the living room has no windows to the outside world. the only light that comes in is via a conservatory attached to the back, and then through bi-fold doors and a door to my hallway/kitchen at the front. due to this, i'm worried that the room will end up looking too dark with lots of dark purples.

we have a 'feature wall' already, and want to keep this, albeit change the wallpaper. do we go with dark purple as the main background colour or a light colour with purple accents? also, what colour should the rest of the walls be? i like the purple/white idea, but the missus isn't keen on brilliant white as it's a bit plain.

been looking on google for inspiration and all the pics seem to be 'show home' types with lots of natural light entering the room.

if anyone has any ideas/advice or pics of their rooms decorated in this colour, then please do share as it's driving me insane, keep looking at wallpaper/paint every 5 minutes
John

14th Jun 13 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My new house is all white and I love it. Bright and clean. The odd wall painted another colour leaving most of the white will do the job.

White basically, looks much better than all the variations of cream.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

15th Jun 13 at 09:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paint one wall purple rest light white / cream

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Ben G

15th Jun 13 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i like the idea of that daniel, but the missus definitely wants a feature wall. she wasn't keen on purple at first. i hate all this compromising crap

at the moment we have one feature wall, 2 walls painted a light chocolate colour and the wall going up the stairs duck egg.

would doing a dark purple (background colour) feature wall, 2 walls white/off white and one wall in a lilac colour work?
Carl

15th Jun 13 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ours has been cream type colour with purple wall paper a d not its grey with purple. I prefer it now its probably abit more masculine than before. Pics are in my project thread if tbat helps. Also tbat site that was recommended www.houzz.com is good for ideas, have a flick through that, you should be able to search purple livingroom.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

15th Jun 13 at 13:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

White walls, back wall with sofa purple and a light purple colour around chimney or in the alcove depending on room shape.

Mine is 3 walls cream, alcoves papered lime green and cream, grey chimney breast to match out sofa with couple lime green cushions to match paper.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Ben G

15th Jun 13 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sofas have turned up. As you can.see, they don't match the rest of the living room now

Thought they'd be darker, but thats a good thing as I didn't want them too dark.

Ben G

15th Jun 13 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And some samples of wallpaper. The lighter dominant colour seems to work better with the sofas, but would a light feature wall aswell as 3 light coloured walls work? Usually the feature wall tends to be darker than the surrounding walls or visa versa.

[Edited on 15-06-2013 by Ben G]
Carl

15th Jun 13 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure i'd do purple on the walls, maybe go contrasting and then the sofa will stand out more, It'll look very good if you pull it off as I like that colour sofa, think it might just get lost in it all if you have too much other puprle knocking about though, think i'd go off white/cream colour but blocks of it/plain walls, so then the sofa is the focal point and grabs your eyes. it's a tough en!

[Edited on 15-06-2013 by Carl]
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

15th Jun 13 at 18:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This???

Above with other walls painted to match the purple stripe in the paper.

Ben G

15th Jun 13 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think we've settled on a lilac coloured paper tbh, this ones nice, albeit a little busy. imagine 100 or so vases of flowers all over the wall.

also, ojc kindly showed me a picture of the sort of colour i want on the wall. it's called egyptian cotton:

so feature wall with lilac paper, 2 end walls done in egyptian cotton and the wall up the stairs painted either the same or sugared lilac:

worried that may be too much purple though. i bought the lilac paint ages ago.

[Edited on 15-06-2013 by Ben G]
dannymccann

16th Jun 13 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No offense Ben but the lilac paper is horrid! Much prefer the white back/ purple flower (same as you have at the minute but a different colour)
Ojc

16th Jun 13 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Let me decorate
Ojc

16th Jun 13 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ill get rid of your missis under the patio as well if you want?
pow
Premium Member

16th Jun 13 at 22:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That paper is horrible, sorry m8
Ben G

16th Jun 13 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's vintage. Us straight men know nothing about design so I guess thats why we don't understand.
whitter45

17th Jun 13 at 07:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldnt paper

We have this in our 3rd bedroom

DSCF0980 by Paul Whitt, on Flickr

Got in from homebase

[Edited on 17-06-2013 by whitter45]
pow
Premium Member

17th Jun 13 at 16:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
It's vintage. Us straight men know nothing about design so I guess thats why we don't understand.

I'm straight and know that looking at that paper it's horrid Wouldn't catch my missus putting that up in a house we both owned.

[Edited on 17-06-2013 by pow]
Gary
Premium Member

17th Jun 13 at 20:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Send the couch back. Purple leathers are cool in mk3 golf highlines only.

But if you have to keep it I'd go simple magnolia on 3 walls and one wall papered in that light paper with purple flowers on
Ben G

18th Jun 13 at 03:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We're not magnolia walls and black sofas kinda people, so no.
Nismo

18th Jun 13 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

check this site out, very handy.

http://www.housetohome.co.uk/purple-modern-living_room-pictures
A2H GO

19th Jun 13 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Flowery wallpaper and purple sofa will be too much IMO, especially in what looks to be quite a small room. You can only really get away with flowery wallpaper if it's very light and not too much else going on (although I'm not sure why you bought a modern sofa if you're going for the vintage look).

We're painting all the walls in our house ivory (BnQ) which is not so white it's harsh but not yellowey like magnolia either, kind of inbetween. I'd go something like that all over then bring in the colour with furnishings. This way you also get the bonus of being able to change the accent colour when you're bored without having to redecorate.

Edit - Forget that last line.

[Edited on 19-06-2013 by A2H GO]
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

19th Jun 13 at 12:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same wall paper i have in my lounge
Ben G

19th Jun 13 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think we've decided on this one:

It's light with just a touch of purple, and the walls will be going 'just walnut' which is lighter than egyptian cotton.

A2h, we don't really stick to one style, we like to fuse them together. We just buy what we like and if some of that is classic/modern then.it doesn't matter.

Seemed to work well with the previous colour scheme. Always got good remarks, even when we put the house up for sale.

New Poll