corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » airplay without airport?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author airplay without airport?
LeeM

User status: Offline
29th Apr 13 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is there any way to use an existing speaker as an airport receiver without shelling out for the airport express? moving in to a new flat soon with a proper network so im planning the toys, so getting an apple tv but would like to be able to stream music from the 4 laptops and various ipads/phones we'll have to a single speaker as well, but the airport express is £80.
Balling
Premium Member

29th Apr 13 at 18:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When you say "a speaker", what are we talking about?
Lots of units like Libratone, B&W Zeppelin, Bose Sounddock etc. are AirPlay enabled.
A lot of AVR's have AirPlay too, but most seem to require a wired connection to the network.

Obviously there needs to be something AirPlay enabled connected to the speaker/receiver for you to stream your music. So if the speaker/dock/AVR isn't, then you'll need an AppleTV or Airport Express.

John

29th Apr 13 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Raspberry Pi will do it.
Balling
Premium Member

29th Apr 13 at 19:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Raspberry Pi will do it.
Firstly at any Apple fanboy pissing about with a Raspberry Pi.

Secondly, compatibility would put me off. Here's a comment from one of the XBMC developers:
"Basically it is possible as you can see in XBMC. But as it's still a closed protocol, our implementation might break here and there once Apple changes something on OS updates. Though we are happy to have the support in, it's a bit like playing blackjack (not knowing which Apple card comes next)."

LeeM

29th Apr 13 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just a set of speakers, no wireless or bluetooth. my dj monitors. currently plug in with a 3.5mm jack into my laptop. id like to leave them plugged into somethin in the corner of the room to stream to. airport express is lookin like the only option
Balling
Premium Member

29th Apr 13 at 19:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could probably get a second hand Express fairly cheap. That's what I did when I needed an extra.

Just make sure it's one of the 802.11n enabled ones and you'll be good.

New Poll