corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Corsa C 1.3 CDTI or 1.4 twinport SXI/SRI? Which is best? Problems to know about?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa C 1.3 CDTI or 1.4 twinport SXI/SRI? Which is best? Problems to know about?
Stokie Dave

User status: Offline
12th Apr 13 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey guys, had a couple of Corsa B's in my time way back when, got an EP3 Civic Type R at the mo, brilliant motor but big change of circumstances at the moment and it's silly to keep hold of it just incase it throws any big bills! So thinking of selling and spending half the cash on a nice Corsa C 1.3 CDTI SXI hopefully. IF it's a sensible choice Or would a 1.4 twinport engined car be better? Just want something minimal hassle, good on juice, can't go wrong for cheapo Vauxhall parts really...

I'd have approx 2200 to spend on the car so would view cars up for sale around 2600 or less, some nice 05/55's for that money, 30 quid tax at that age too for the 1.3 CDTI.

But, I know nowt about Corsa C's with either engine.

So, can you knowledgable chaps fill me in on whats what? General Corsa C problems (I expect most are cheap cheap fixes) but more so things I need to specifically be aware of for the 1.3 CDTI cars and the 1.4 Twinports?

Which would you choose and why?

Appreciate any help, ta guys

Dave
taylorboosh

12th Apr 13 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id really only consider the cdti as a weekend or focused track car tbh mate

JoshSRi

12th Apr 13 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1.3's can have starting issues, if you go view one make sure you start it from cold to ensure it starts well. Alternators are also known for being quite bad on them.

EGR valve is known for getting blocked up but that'll show a light on the dash. Flywheel can be noisy, which let's you know if it's on it's way out.

Can't think of any common faults with the 1.4's off the top of my head, they're a pretty decent engine.

Otherwise just look out for other common Corsa C faults like a trouble selecting gears due to needing a new gear linkage and wet footwells from a leaking Heater Matrix or Brake Servo Seal.
corsadonk
Premium Member

12th Apr 13 at 18:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What are you using it for? A long drive to work, or just short trips? I'd say the CDTI's need a good drive or you'll have problems. I know of a few 1.4's suffering from head gaskets.

Most stuff is normal stuff, they can leak water around the master cylinder, but it's a easy fix.

The wife gets over 500 miles from a full tank with her CDTI, with most of that on the motorway.
Stokie Dave

12th Apr 13 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi guys, cheers for the replies so far.

My missus has a car just like yours Taylorboosh, quite the race car haha... nice little motors

The idea of the downgrade is purely to save money, Vauxhall parts are peanuts and mechanic friends will help me maintain it. I've spent a lot on my Type R and done it properly via tuning companies etc and hopefully it'll pay off come sale time.

So majority of the usage will be town driving, a number of short 2/3 mile trips and then the odd blast around at the weekend as me and the missus often go for a run around for something to do.

Are chains part of the service schedule on both the 1.3 CDTI and 1.4 petrols and if so what kinda milage should they be done? What are the costs?

Perhaps the 1.4 may be a more reliable prospect ultimately, just worse on fuel and tax... but less to go bang...
mattant

12th Apr 13 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They do a 1.7 diesel SRi if you want the spec
taylorboosh

12th Apr 13 at 18:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id get a 1.8 sri in that case..

Ohh and yea its ok, getting lowered and the wheels painted in 2 weeks
Stokie Dave

12th Apr 13 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've looked for those mattant but they are few and far between really... there is a more plentiful supply of the 1.3 CDTI and 1.4 SRI models up for 2500 or less in good shape on 05 plates.

Getting a 1.8 SRi isn't cost effective in a money saving excersise, bearing in mind I have a Type R and other quick cars before, I won't be saving loads on running costs in terms of at least fuel and tax... I aren't sure 20/30BHP more to drive it at 30mph will be worth the increased cost.

The Civic has had to put up with nigh on 20k of town miles in the last 17/18 months and it's a shame it's not getting used properly, but a change of circumstances with work means I need to save money. The Civic is dependable but if owt does go wrong, I aint got the funds available to spunk in to it at the moment.

Hence a low engined, cheap tax, reliable little Vauxhall
taylorboosh

12th Apr 13 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My 1.4 sri was shit on fuel
Stokie Dave

12th Apr 13 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I am trying to get feedback from all avenues as I thought was quite clear above mate

I.e. diesel mpg, cheap tax vs. potentially more reliability/lesser repair costs.

I have to find the balance and the most cost effective solution.

[Edited on 12-04-2013 by Stokie Dave]
NathanR

12th Apr 13 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My 1.4 is great on fuel tbh ! Haven't had any issues with the engine at all other than an EGR valve went dew to my decat ! Other than that its never missed a beat !
taylorboosh

12th Apr 13 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should state my was pre twinport
davegreen
Premium Member

12th Apr 13 at 19:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would go for the 1.4, 2 types of engine fitted to them. not sure of the codes but one is on cam belt the other is chain. belt one i think is slightly better, less prone to head gasket/ waterpump gasket failure. capable of decentish mpg to. forget the desiels with short journeys, ive got a 1.3cdti D and it hates short runs, egr faults, turbo faults, cat faults, nothing a realy good thrash hasnt cured though but just a real pain.
Stokie Dave

12th Apr 13 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd definitely want a facelift car so the chain driven 1.4's are on 53 plate onwards, nicer seat trim etc, nicer bumpers and lights. Makes sense really to me.

Just know nowt about them, don't want something prone for headgaskets and so on.

What are you 1.4 twinport owners getting mpg wise round town going steady?

In my Civic I muster about 27/28 going real steady, which aint much fun. A lot less when I hoof it lol.
davegreen
Premium Member

12th Apr 13 at 19:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

belt driven cams where still avalible right up till the end on certain models. we got a 1.4 exculsive here that on an 06 plate.
davcohen

13th Apr 13 at 07:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a 1.3cdti and thought it was a great car, The high pressure fuel pump randomly went out on me which I found on ebay for about 160 and even with my poor mechanical skills managed to install it.

Aside from that didnt have any problems, great on fuel and revved pretty well for a diesel
Stokie Dave

13th Apr 13 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers guys, all good info Got a bit of a list together, not got a lot to go on for the 1.4's yet though. Just head gaskets and timing chains perhaps?
John

13th Apr 13 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had a 1.3cdti C, probably doing 20 miles a day, never had any issues. GF had a 1.3cdti D, was doing 10 a day at most, never had any issues.
Bprice91

13th Apr 13 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im looking in to getting the 1.7 dti corsa c ... driven one before as a rental and i thought it was great tbh
corsadonk
Premium Member

13th Apr 13 at 18:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get the Exclusiv.
Stokie Dave

13th Apr 13 at 18:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They're quite smart, not that many close to 2k yet though Nice bits on them though!
deano87

13th Apr 13 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I read that the speed vs. MPG difference between the 1.2 and 1.4 (both Twinport) means the 1.2 is the more sensible choice.

Yes the 1.3 derv is cheaper on tax and good fuel economy, but for shorter journeys and lower miles vs. higher cost of fuel I dare say the 1.2 will be cheaper to run. Only £120 tax per year.

Chains should theoretically be changed at 100k miles iirc.
AndyKent

13th Apr 13 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think I worked out in an old thread that the power/tonne is actually better (or pretty much similar) in the 1.2 as the 1.4.

Don't get a 1.4 basically.
Stokie Dave

14th Apr 13 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think I may well just stick to a 1.3 derv and just make sure I check them over properly when I view, should be ok then Not gonna just buy any old tripe!

Hopefully the cheap tax and fuel will offset other costs, usually work is 6 miles each way, might nip out at night, but at the weekends I go all over the shot for drives so it mounts up then and will get plenty warm
corsadonk
Premium Member

14th Apr 13 at 19:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My wife's 1.3 doesn't even get up to temp after 6 miles, it might be the thermostat but it's something to consider.

I also found a bit of spring the drive today, looks like it needs new rear springs.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Corsa C 1.3 CDTI or 1.4 twinport SXI/SRI? Which is best? Problems to know about? 22 database queries in 0.0159850 seconds