corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Anybody own both an iPad and an iPad Mini?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anybody own both an iPad and an iPad Mini?
Balling
Premium Member

User status: Offline
8th Apr 13 at 08:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If so, how do you find the size and performance of the Mini compared to the 10"?

Is the Mini handicapped by the old-ish A5 processor?
And is the screen big enough for web browsing, without the need to zoom everywhere? And is it big enough for reading books?

Brett
Premium Member

8th Apr 13 at 08:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We've got an iPad2, iPad Retina and a Mini.

For me there's no real noticeable difference between any. With the 2/Retina you'd only actually know the screen was better if you had them side by side. With regard to processor, I've noticed no real difference.

I prefer my mini for portability and browsing is just fine. It's replaced my laptop now pretty much. However mrs prefers her Retina.

I can only imagine it's fine for books, since a kindle is just fine. My mrs will still read books on her Kindle over her Retina, it's just easier on the eye and more 'book-like'.
Balling
Premium Member

8th Apr 13 at 09:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Brett.

Kindle isn't really an option and reading isn't going to be the main use for it anyway.

From what you say it seems the Mini will be perfectly adequate for my needs.

I have a 1st gen iPad already btw, so the Mini will mostly be used on my way to work anyway, just don't want to consider it if people find the size useless compared to the regular iPad.

Brett
Premium Member

8th Apr 13 at 09:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love how compact my mini is, I deffo wouldn't trade it for a bigger one anyway.

If there's any kind of tests/comparisons you'd like me to do then just let me know and I'll do it when I get home.
mwg

8th Apr 13 at 09:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's only certain things you can tell the screen is worse on the Mini. But it's only really apparent if you've just used a retina iPad before picking the Mini up.

Mini seems to crash a bit though I find? Full size one rarely does.
Brett
Premium Member

8th Apr 13 at 09:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't of said you could compare screens between the mini and the retina with them being different size. The mini one looks crisp because it's all compact anyway.

I'd disagree about the crashing thing too, not sure what that's about.

Again, I'll run any comparative test, any kind of intensive app that might potentially highlight downfalls, just let me know.

[Edited on 08-04-2013 by Brett]
Balling
Premium Member

8th Apr 13 at 09:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Performance in Numbers and Garage Band okay on the Mini?

My 1st gen. iPad really struggles with these apps. Both take near a full minute to load and Garage Band is pretty unstable.

Not sure I'm going to use the latter much on the Mini though, but Numbers is something I'll be dependent on.

Brett
Premium Member

8th Apr 13 at 09:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well let me know what to do on the Numbers one that makes your first gen wobble and i'll do the same on the mini. Not used it before myself.
Balling
Premium Member

8th Apr 13 at 09:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Launch it...

mwg

8th Apr 13 at 09:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It just crashes quite a bit in some apps like Facebook. Don't know why
Brett
Premium Member

8th Apr 13 at 09:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I did ever have crashing I'd put it down to the app being shit myself tbh, but I've not. Only app that we've had it do it on is Simpsons a few revisions ago, but it did it on all of our iPads. Don't use Facebook, so can't comment on that, but knowing them I'd put it down to their shitty app.

I'll try it tonight Balling
Balling
Premium Member

8th Apr 13 at 09:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't have Facebook either, but my wife does complain that both the app and the website crashes a lot on our iPad.

Cheers Brett. Basically if it launches alright and you can actually add and remove documents without it throwing a fit, then it'll be performing miles better than mine.

Brett
Premium Member

8th Apr 13 at 10:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I might even do a video for evidence
mwg

8th Apr 13 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Facebook works fine on my iPad 3 though which is what I find odd
Brett
Premium Member

8th Apr 13 at 10:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't argue with your experience mate, but I'd rather do a fair comparison where each are trying to perform the same task.
A2H GO

8th Apr 13 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
There's only certain things you can tell the screen is worse on the Mini. But it's only really apparent if you've just used a retina iPad before picking the Mini up.

Screen looks crap after using retina, but since you haven't got a retina anyway I wouldn't worry.

Mini - 163ppi
iPad 3/4 - 326ppi

Otherwise I'd wait for the retina mini.
Balling
Premium Member

8th Apr 13 at 11:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Obviously a Retina Mini with A6X (or better) would be optimal, but waiting isn't really an option as it is.

I'm sort of at a catch 22 in the sense that I think I'd prefer the 4th gen iPad. I don't see it as too big to carry with me in a bag.
However, to justify the difference in price I'd want to sell our current 1st gen.
Now the issue is, I keep all my music on the iPad so need at least a 32GB (ideally a 64GB like the one we've already got) if I only have one, where as a secondary iPad could just be 16GB as I wouldn't be storing much on it anyway. So the difference in price becomes even greater if it's between a 16GB Mini and a 32GB or even 64GB Retina...

Brett
Premium Member

8th Apr 13 at 11:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Everyone has their opinion, but for me retina really isn't worth the extra. Like has been said, unless they're side by side or you've frequently used a retina, I very much doubt you'd notice. I certainly wouldn't go as far as saying non-retina 'looks crap'.

[Edited on 08-04-2013 by Brett]
LeeM

8th Apr 13 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive had both, just gave my mini to my mum though.
in my eyes the mini was the better form factor, screen was plenty big enough and the full sized one felt giant after using the mini.

the screen isnt retina but looks better than the 1 and 2, if you hold it far enough away from your face it looks good.
A2H GO

8th Apr 13 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I never thought the retina was worth the extra until I got one and then went back to an iPad 2.

In isolation and not having used any different for any length of time then it would be hard to justify the extra.

I carry the iPad 3 to work everyday for use on the train, don't find it a hassle at all, sometimes I have to check my bag to make sure it's still actually in there.
Balling
Premium Member

8th Apr 13 at 13:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
if you hold it far enough away from your face it looks good.
Oh my God, it sounds incredible!

Brett
Premium Member

8th Apr 13 at 13:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PMSL I hate the internet
LeeM

8th Apr 13 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
if you hold it far enough away from your face it looks good.
Oh my God, it sounds incredible!

not like 2 metres away, i mean people who complain about the screen being horrible and pixelated must be holding it 6 inches away from their faces.
at an arms length, in your lap when youre sat on the couch or something it looks good and smooth
Brett
Premium Member

8th Apr 13 at 14:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It looks crisp as fuck, which is what I was trying to get at before

I'm gonna OD this thread with pics later of me waving my wang around near my arsenal of iPads.
pow
Premium Member

8th Apr 13 at 22:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't know how people can say that the screen on the iPad 1/2 is 'just about the same' as a 3/4.

They are MILES apart in quality

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll