corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Work Laptop

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Work Laptop
Dom

User status: Offline
15th Feb 13 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by evilrob
Get the Mac, whack Parallels on it, run Windows in a Window - job done.

No, just no
evilrob
Premium Member

15th Feb 13 at 20:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Get the Mac, whack Parallels on it, run Windows in a Window - job done.

No, just no

Works beautifully for me for cross-platform testing:
Dom

15th Feb 13 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Desktop virtualisation is great if you need the odd application that doesn't run in your environment. But it sounds like Skinz needs the complete Windows environment, so virtualising it under OSX would be a bit, and by 'a bit' i mean hugely, backwards!

But thanks for posting a picture of your VM's; very useful......

[Edited on 15-02-2013 by Dom]
evilrob
Premium Member

15th Feb 13 at 21:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Virtualisation is great full stop - I work predominantly with Windows users, but I prefer to work in OSX because I have various OSX-only applications (like OmniFocus which is great for task management) and workflows and automation set up that work the way I want them to.

I could probably replicate a lot of it using something like AutoHotKey on Windows but I'm happy with the way I've got things set up as they are.

My main reason for virtualising Windows is as and when it eats itself, as Windows invariably does, I can just restore back to a fresh install at the touch of a button, i.e. instantly, rather than having to back up from a ghost image - the ultimate "turn it off and back on again!"

I often run into IT people turning their noses up at virtualisation - I suspect largely because it renders them redundant.
evilrob
Premium Member

15th Feb 13 at 21:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
But thanks for posting a picture of your VM's; very useful......

I would argue the inclusion of said screenshot in this conversation is no less useful than the phrase:

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
No, just no

I was merely demonstrating that I'm not just saying it to wind you up - we've had run-ins about virtualising Windows on a Mac before - I genuinely use VMs on a daily basis for constructive work, and it works brilliantly for me.
evilrob
Premium Member

15th Feb 13 at 21:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Firing up Win7 VM, loading Excel, Word, Access and Outlook then suspending in ~40 seconds on a Macbook on battery power:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxQ2MleRLnU

Recorded in realtime - no edits, except for blanking out the contents of my Exchange inbox. Aero disabled because I don't like the way it looks, not because it has any negative effect on performance (it doesn't).

What's wrong with that? I have a Dell Core i5 laptop running Win7 which I couldn't wake from sleep, open four applications and suspend in 40s.

I'm not saying it's for everyone - but for me, it's perfect.
Dom

15th Feb 13 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like you use Windows for the odd application and there is nothing wrong with using virtualisation for that. However, if your main environment is Windows then virtualising that within another environment that you'd hardly use, as is the case (sounds like it) with Skinz, is utterly pointless and you're just burning resources for the sake of it.

Better solution in this case is Bootcamp/dual-boot Windows but then if you're mostly in Windows you're better off saving the £1000+ and getting a Dell etc.

And similarly i can boot OSX VM within a minute or just switch on my Dell and boot OSX ML - in either case i've saved a few grand
evilrob
Premium Member

15th Feb 13 at 22:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is the OP actually paying for it out of his own pocket?

I got the impression he was being given the choice of a Dell or a Macbook Pro through work.

I can't see any reason not to get the Macbook Pro if this is the case.
Russ

15th Feb 13 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get the macbook if you like coffee or the dell if you dont
Dom

16th Feb 13 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Is the OP actually paying for it out of his own pocket?

I got the impression he was being given the choice of a Dell or a Macbook Pro through work.

I can't see any reason not to get the Macbook Pro if this is the case.

What advantage is there having a Mac if you're going to be predominantly using Windows? And i see even less advantages (tbf i see zero advantage of owning a MBP in this instance) if work are providing him the laptop and the Dell is better spec'd.

[Edited on 16-02-2013 by Dom]
evilrob
Premium Member

16th Feb 13 at 13:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The main advantage is being able to run OS X natively and legally - I don't think running OS X on hardware which contravenes its licensing terms is a good idea in a work environment. Although the OP doesn't *need* OS X for work (neither do I, working predominantly with Windows users), he said he would use it if he had it.

Having both a Dell and a Macbook of similar spec, I could choose to use either for any given task; the fact is I choose the Mac every time because it's nicer to use (i.e. it's the path of least resistance, I can do stuff quicker on it even if I have to jump into an OS other than OS X), it looks and feels better built and I enjoy using it more.

The only thing we know about the Dell is that it's got a "better" Core i7 processor vs. the Macbook's Core i5; but unless the OP is doing CAD or media encoding, the difference in performance between the i7 and the i5 chip is going to be imperceptible to the user (assuming similar clock speeds).

The Core i7 will, however, run hotter and make a noticeable dent in the battery life to the tune of 30-40 minutes over its i5 equivalent on average.

[Edited on 16-02-2013 by evilrob]
evilrob
Premium Member

16th Feb 13 at 13:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
I've said it before but I deal with hundreds of users. Almost without exception, you can tell how much work they do the instant you see they've got a Mac.

“Workaholics aren't heroes. They don't save the day, they just use it up. The real hero is at home because they figured out a faster way”
- Jason Fried, co-founder of 37signals (creators of Ruby on Rails), author of Rework, Mac user.
Sam
Premium Member

16th Feb 13 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The way I look at it - if he doesn't need to run anything on OS X then he may as well get the Dell.

Don't see the point in him getting the Mac just for the sake of it.

#justsayin
Dom

16th Feb 13 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
The way I look at it - if he doesn't need to run anything on OS X then he may as well get the Dell.

Don't see the point in him getting the Mac just for the sake of it.

#justsayin

Exactly!!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll