corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Official: Playstation 4 Topic

New Poll
  <<  3    4    5    6    7    8    9  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Official: Playstation 4 Topic
Balling
Premium Member

User status: Offline
21st Feb 13 at 09:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.netindex.com/

19,42 mbps average in the UK.
16,78 in EU.
And let's not forget that the PS will notoriously sell in absurd numbers in Japan where they have an average internet speed of 33,43 mbps.

I'd say the vast majority will be able to take advantage of the mentioned features.

Steve
Premium Member

21st Feb 13 at 09:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont care what the average is, mine is shit, thats all i care about

Obviously they need to put this stuff in for people that do have it, but they focus everything on it and make it unrealistically accessible for those that dont.
Balling
Premium Member

21st Feb 13 at 10:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm unclear what they've done wrong in your eyes?

Steve
Premium Member

21st Feb 13 at 10:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Focussed on talking about how you can do this and that, useless to people like me.

Will reserve judgement though until all the details come out and find out how reliant it all is on a fast connection
A2H GO

21st Feb 13 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So basically it was an event about a controller with some shit game demos and not much improved graphics?

They obviously didn't show the console because it's going to be massive (which is OK as I have all my stuff hidden away since all consoles/boxes are ugly anway).

Cloud streaming will be useless for the average person in the UK, at least for a while.

Background downloading eveyone will turn off and it will be shit at guessing what you want to play just like every other content offering that guesses what you want to watch/listen to etc. I downloaded a Rick Ross album, no that doesn't mean I want you to fill up my bandwith, use my allowace and fill up my harddrive with Adele and One Direction.

Also, why the fuck would you ever want to watch your mates play Fifa
Nath

21st Feb 13 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
I'm unclear what they've done wrong in your eyes?

They called it 'Playstation'.
Balling
Premium Member

21st Feb 13 at 10:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got to agree with a lot of those points.

However, the only game demo I've seen yet is Killzone and that looks pretty good. Lighting and physics looks to have taken a huge jump since PS3.

A real issue to me is the fact that, where PC is way ahead of consoles is resolution and this will not improve until we replace our 1080p screens.

Steve
Premium Member

21st Feb 13 at 10:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what the res of choice for pc gamers these days
Balling
Premium Member

21st Feb 13 at 10:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not much clue about PC gaming, but if you look at the year old standard for 24" monitors then that's 1920x1200 giving a vastly higher pixel density than most TV's.

However manufacturers are boosting the pixel density in monitors and if you look at something like the 15" rMBP then it runs games at 2880x1800 which simply doesn't compare to anything a TV can offer.

The rMBP is an extreme example, but I can't see it taking too long before we see more and more of this type of screens.

Dom

21st Feb 13 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
They obviously didn't show the console because it's going to be massive....

Must be this rather than them simply not having a finalised design, and/or prototype, and showing a dev-console (which do tend to be hardware in tower sized cases) would be utterly pointless

Only thing i see being a bit cack is the cloud-gaming; Sony/Gaikai haven't got the infrastructure in place for it to really work. It isn't much line speed (there isn't a huge amount of data being sent in the first place and swapping to compression like h265 will lower the bandwidth requirements further) but rather latency that kills this idea and i can't see Sony (nor anyone else for matter) stumping up the cash to improve peering between ISPs and their cloud servers to reduce latency to something that is playable.
Granted it's got to start somewhere but it's going to be many years (personally decades tbh) before cloud-gaming becomes comparable to playing on local hardware.
Dom

21st Feb 13 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
what the res of choice for pc gamers these days

1680x1050 is pretty much standard, if not full blown 1080. You then have plenty of players using multiscreen setups.

Tbh, PC/Mac gamers will always have this advantage because as Balling mentioned, game consoles are restricted by the resolutions of TVs and monitors tend to have higher resolutions.
Steve
Premium Member

21st Feb 13 at 15:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so common pc res's dont really offer any more than a 1080p tv?
Balling
Premium Member

21st Feb 13 at 15:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
so common pc res's dont really offer any more than a 1080p tv?
You have to take pixel density into account.

Even at a regular viewing distance the pixel density of a 1080p TV at a normal size (say 40" and up) can't really compare to that of modern PC monitors.
Add to that the fact that most users tend to move closer to the screen while playing than when watching TV.

Also, keep in mind that most games today are played at 1080p or higher on PC while hardly any console games are actually higher than 720p.

PC's will soon evolve way beyond 1080p. Consoles will not, for quite a while probably.

Steve
Premium Member

21st Feb 13 at 15:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i heard rumours about the ps4 and 4k?
Balling
Premium Member

21st Feb 13 at 15:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

John mentioned it in this thread, but from what I've read it wasn't mentioned in the presentation. That's not to say it will not be there.
Still, even if it did do 4K I don't see many games running it natively.
Again, we don't get 1080p games for PS3 or Xbox either.

From the spec, it should be capable of running games at 4K res, as far as I can tell.
Would be very cool if it did and would be a door opener for the 4K TV market.

mwg

21st Feb 13 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not a geek but could they do a 4k update as a download? Same way they updated the PS3 to 3D at a later point. Just a thought.
Balling
Premium Member

21st Feb 13 at 15:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't see why not, tbh.
As far as I can tell, the only difference between playing 1080p and 4K is the amount of processing power required to handle it.

Might be wrong on this!?

There's also the matter of the storage medium, but I can't see a game taking up that much more space to run in 4K. Textures etc. would have to be higher res of course, but they're pretty good at compressing those, as it is.
Even so, I can't imagine SONY not using the latest multi layer BDR tech in the PS4.

[Edited on 21-02-2013 by Balling]

Dom

21st Feb 13 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I don't see why not, tbh.
As far as I can tell, the only difference between playing 1080p and 4K is the amount of processing power required to handle it.

Might be wrong on this!?

There's also the matter of the storage medium, but I can't see a game taking up that much more space to run in 4K. Textures etc. would have to be higher res of course, but they're pretty good at compressing those, as it is.
Even so, I can't imagine SONY not using the latest multi layer BDR tech in the PS4.

I imagine they've engineered it in that the hardware will support 4K (majority of GPUs will happily handle 2/4K), would be a bit short sighted if they didn't as PS4 probably has a life expectancy of 10 years and 2/4K should easily be in the hands of consumers by then.

Storage shouldn't be a problem; they've got quad layer BD discs that are around the 150GB mark and the new h265 will help with video compression (The Amazing Spiderman in 4K was getting thrown around CES this year and that apparently was under 60GB for a 2hr film).
Balling
Premium Member

21st Feb 13 at 16:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From a gaming perspective, i can't see h265 making much difference with a relatively small amount of in game videos like pre-rendered cut scenes (which I believe to be more or less a thing of the past anyway)!?

What takes up storage on a game disc?
Textures, models, sounds and music I guess?
I have no idea how they would be affected by the increase in res...

Balling
Premium Member

21st Feb 13 at 16:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know the music will not be affected by increase in res, btw! Before anybody decides to be clever.

Dom

21st Feb 13 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Textures and models would be your main increase (unless they decide to up audio quality as well) but i can't see storage really being much of an issue going to 4K, i doubt many games at the moment push the single-layer 25GB discs let alone dual/triple-layer discs.

Processing is your main issue with gaming at 4K.
Balling
Premium Member

21st Feb 13 at 18:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well this answers it then:
http://cl.ly/0D3f0D3h3Q0S

PS4 will support images and video in 4K, but will not be able to handle games at that res.

Even though he mentions 3D isn't a big focus point for them, I'd be very interested to see some games run 3D at 60fps 1080p.

Balling
Premium Member

21st Feb 13 at 19:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry for double posting this, but it belongs in here as well.

Couldn't help but laugh.

DanCobb

22nd Feb 13 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Share button looks cool
John

22nd Feb 13 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Well this answers it then:
http://cl.ly/0D3f0D3h3Q0S

PS4 will support images and video in 4K, but will not be able to handle games at that res.

Even though he mentions 3D isn't a big focus point for them, I'd be very interested to see some games run 3D at 60fps 1080p.

I think it will do games at that, just not yet. 4k TV's will be common within 10 years (quote me), which seems to be the life span of a high end console.

<<  3    4    5    6    7    8    9  >>

New Poll