corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Nexus 7

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Nexus 7
noshua

User status: Offline
28th Dec 12 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone got one of these?

Felt like buying one last night to play about with so was massively gutted when nowhere had any in stock today. PCWorld then rang me and said they had one come on delivery this evening

Had a quick play with it and I'm well impressed , I hated developing on Android at Uni as it was 2.1 or something - proper shit - but 4.2.1 is really smooth and looks amazing.

One thing that pisses me off is the red squiggly line in Chrome when you misspell something but you can't tap and choose an alternative like in iOS?
John

28th Dec 12 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got one for my mum for Christmas, I'm trying not to buy one, really nicely built, quick, just like a bigger version of the nexus 4 (or the 4 is technically a smaller version of the 7)
PhilC

28th Dec 12 at 22:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got one. Love it! Bought the 16GB version when they were £169 a few months ago, when the 32GB was rumoured.

[Edited on 28-12-2012 by PhilC]
Munchie

28th Dec 12 at 23:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got 32gb ! Battery is being gay on mine tho..
Mertin

29th Dec 12 at 01:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just got one today, totally new to android with being an iPhone fanboy. First tablet too so looking for any must have apps
noshua

29th Dec 12 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Likewise Martin, bit of a hassle getting the equivalent apps from iOS on Android but to be expected. Sucks going back to a phone size screen

Can't wait to sack my 4S off and get a Nexus 4.

Oh, iPlayer sucks donkey balls on Android.
Kyle T
Premium Member

29th Dec 12 at 13:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Dad got my Grandma one for xmas, I was well impressed with it.

I wanted to pick one up from the US when I was over in the Summer, but it released the day I flew home and just didn't have time. I've put off buying one ever since.

I've got an iPad 1 and a Surface RT lying around and the Nexus beats both imo.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
A2H GO

29th Dec 12 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by noshua
Likewise Martin, bit of a hassle getting the equivalent apps from iOS on Android but to be expected. Sucks going back to a phone size screen

Can't wait to sack my 4S off and get a Nexus 4.

Oh, iPlayer sucks donkey balls on Android.

I'm yet to find an app app on the Play store that works or is designed as well as its iOS counterpart.

It's as though android apps are done by geeky devs who love to code and iOS apps are done by designers who care much more about the user experience.
Kyle T
Premium Member

29th Dec 12 at 14:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any examples? It's been a while since I had an iPhone (3GS) but I've not had any notable problems with Android apps which are available on both platforms.

On Hill Climb Racer the Android version got the extra levels and motorbike unlock a week quicker than the iOS one

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
A2H GO

29th Dec 12 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't use many apps so can only comment on the ones I do.

Twitter - No Tweetbot, official app is rubbish (on both android and iOS) no decent alternative, tweetcaster, tweetie, uber, plume are all terrible to look at, Flacon pro which has just been released is about as close to a good experience as you'll get.

Facebook - no left/right swiping for menus/messaging, slow. Basically much nicer to use on iOS.

eBay - keeps trying to go to the website within the app Shitty looking UI, the iPad eBay app is on another level.

iPlayer - This works now finally but has crashed on me loads.

Google maps - All the reviews say it's better on iOS, not having an iPhone anymore I can't confirm.

Chrome - slow and every now and again doesn't respond

No Fieldrunners 2.

Also a lot of the images, UI, buttons, jpgs etc within apps are low quality/pixelated making the phone look cheap, presumably because they have to be designed to run on shit phones too. For example all the UI in the photobucket app, even the icon is blurry.

As far as I'm aware not many of the apps are optimized for tablets either, for the ones that are would the Nexus 7 get the tablet or a stretched up phone version?

[Edited on 29-12-2012 by A2H GO]
John

29th Dec 12 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Resolution of the 7 isn't any higher than the phones anyway.
A2H GO

29th Dec 12 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are obviously useful apps that iOS doesn't have too, like Airdroid which is impressive, and Tasker.

I just wondered if you'd get the version specifically optimized for the bigger screen by default or if you'd get the phone version.

noshua

29th Dec 12 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes you do. The Chrome app is fine, didn't like it on my phone as the back and forward buttons were at the top and it somehow felt like it was taking up more screen so I got rid of it. I like how it zooms when you're zoomed out and you try click a small link (like page numbers on here).

Didn't notice the FB app swipe gestures but it annoys me now In boxing is a bit laggy compared to iOS but not exactly a deal breaker.

Can't figure out how to undo closed tabs in Chrome though
A2H GO

29th Dec 12 at 23:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didn't think it was too slow till I went back to the native browser.

Yes I like how it does the zoom thing, didn't realise that was chrome, thought it was an Android thing, that said I can't say I had any problems clicking the right links on the iPhone and that had a tiny screen.

Slightly annoying you have to bring the menu up for the forward an backwards buttons though, they should be built into the address bar or something like the desktop version.

I like the swiping from the side of the screen to change tabs but always forget about it and use the number at the top.

Don't think you can undo closed tabs can you?

John

29th Dec 12 at 23:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should have recently closed at the bottom when opening a new tab, should also have other devices at the bottom if you've got it installed and logged in elsewhere.
Matty W

30th Dec 12 at 05:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive had mine about 2 months. rooted it 2 days ago. installed beats audio drivers, unlocked the camera's 720p capability and have been playing spyro on a playstation one emulator using my ps3 controller. doesnt seem to want to update to 4.2.1 though.. currently stuck in 4.1.2
John

30th Dec 12 at 10:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Won't update if it's rooted will it?
Matty W

30th Dec 12 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had the issue even before I rooted it. I'm new to it but I believe you can download and flash an update.. just not sure how yet
Mertin

30th Dec 12 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Android Facebook app seems to be pretty shit, constantly saying network error at times, so resort to using the iPhone app
dannymccann

31st Dec 12 at 07:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Android FB app has been absolutely shite since I got my Desire (nearly 3 years now), easy solution is not to use the shit service in the first place
Dave

31st Dec 12 at 07:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbf that's probably not Androids fault, Facebook apps are complete garbage on any platform.

iOS one is just about ok now but still has its faults.
Sam
Premium Member

31st Dec 12 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Tbf that's probably not Androids fault, Facebook apps are complete garbage on any platform.

iOS one is just about ok now but still has its faults.

My sister-in-law recently got an iPad Mini and the Facebook app keeps crashing whenever it tries to log in or display the timeline. She has to use it via Safari instead now...

I have an iPad 3 and it works OK on there, so no idea why it doesn't on hers.
Dom

31st Dec 12 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My 2 pennies -

Twitter - Flacon Pro - "Purchased" based on a previous post of Ash's; works well albeit a bit more bulkier compared to Tweetdeck (but seems to actually display tweets properly).

Facebook - I've found the new native FB app to be bulky as hell and not much of an improvement over the old. Tested a lot of the alternatives and currently use FriendCaster.

eBay - keeps trying to go to the website within the app Shitty looking UI, the iPad eBay app is on another level. Can't say i've noticed this, although i haven't really used it a huge amount apart from checking watched items.

Chrome - Found it to be slow too. I use Dolphin at the minute which works well.

There are some decent apps for Android though - Google Ears (a better Shazam) and Google Music are currently my favs and Airdroid is pretty handy. Also if you root your device then you can happily "purchase" pro apps

[Edited on 31-12-2012 by Dom]
John

31st Dec 12 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

root not required Dom, I've got blackmarket alpha on my non rooted 4.
noshua

31st Dec 12 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do explain John...

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll