corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Instagram - Found this interesting

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Instagram - Found this interesting
Brett
Premium Member

User status: Offline
18th Dec 12 at 12:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57559710-38/instagram-says-it-now-has-the-right-to-sell-your-photos/
A2H GO

18th Dec 12 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Instagram are turning into Zynga since being taken over by FB. First stopping their images showing on Twitter and now this, clearly want to much of the pie.
Rob_Quads

18th Dec 12 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup -- its a very fine line I think they have crossed

I think they will go back and it will be an opt in. Someone suggested they should do a %age to the owner and that would probably go down well.

Its only going to take someones photo of a mate to be used in an advertising campaign and the lawyers would be all over it.
Ian
Site Administrator

18th Dec 12 at 12:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely they would lose, that is what the policy is for?

I hate how stinky these things are, and I hate that it won't stop the vast majority of people using it.
Liam-Wilko

18th Dec 12 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Surely they would lose, that is what the policy is for?

I hate how stinky these things are, and I hate that it won't stop the vast majority of people using it.

But surely there will be a a loop hole of some sort that a lawyer would probably find.
John

18th Dec 12 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Instagram's lawyers are better at finding loopholes than Joe Pleb off the street.
Gary
Premium Member

18th Dec 12 at 12:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just don't use it? Its load of shite anyway
Rob_Quads

18th Dec 12 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Surely they would lose, that is what the policy is for?.

This policy gives them the right to sell the photos. What the photos are used for is a different matter.

If they sell someone a single head shot that someone took of a mate, the company that bought it then used it to front an advertising campaign they could get then sued as the 'model' would not have signed a model release form when the initial photo was taken. Posting it on instagram would not violate this as its not a commercial or advertising purposes but as soon as it is....

You wouldn't be suing instagram it would be the advertising company. Instagram would be laughing all the way to the bank.

[Edited on 18-12-2012 by Rob_Quads]
Nath

18th Dec 12 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary

Agreed. Here's a photo I took with my 5MP HD camera, now watch as I make it look shit and old.
Gary
Premium Member

18th Dec 12 at 13:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Balling
Premium Member

18th Dec 12 at 13:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Instagram can not sell the rights to a picture they do not hold the rights to.

If I started posting photos from Snap Day on Instagram, I wouldn't own the rights and therefore couldn't give Instagram the rights who then couldn't sell the rights.

There are too many pitfalls in this for Facebook to actually ever sell any photos, they're just making a user agreement that secures their own interests in the best possible way.

A2H GO

18th Dec 12 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Rob_Quads

18th Dec 12 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely if their terms say you agree that you own the rights to the photo you uploaded they could sell them? If it turns out you didn't own the right then they could sue you?

I agree just to avoid instagram. Too many photos all just looking the same now.
Marc

18th Dec 12 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can do what they want with mine, most are of food
Bart

18th Dec 12 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FB has financial issues, the shareholders are not getting anywhere near the money they were expecting and the general feeling as that most of them are unhappy/worried about future income.

They really have to increase the income and the only way to do that is adverts.

All these other little ideas such as the above +_promoting your post is part of it.

Give it another few years and I think it'll eventually meet the graveyard like myspace, bebo etc
Rob_Quads

18th Dec 12 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FB was so over priced it was unreal. No surprise the share holders are getting worried.
Lacking any sort of founded business plan to backup the company valuation.

When you compare FB with someone like IBM which has lots of assets, proven business record and recent results and FB is 'worth' around the same yet none of these (it has 'assets' but no idea how to make decent money from them)
Brett
Premium Member

18th Dec 12 at 13:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

https://plus.google.com/+WilWheaton/posts/3o79SJWv4kG#+WilWheaton/posts/3o79SJWv4kG
Balling
Premium Member

18th Dec 12 at 13:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seems Will Wheaton would actually be better off not using the internet with that level of paranoia.

ed

18th Dec 12 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Instagram was cool in 2010 before the general public found out about it.
Gary
Premium Member

18th Dec 12 at 16:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling

If I started posting photos from Snap Day on Instagram, I wouldn't own the rights and therefore couldn't give Instagram the rights who then couldn't sell the rights.

There are too many pitfalls in this for Facebook to actually ever sell any photos, they're just making a user agreement that secures their own interests in the best possible way.

I'm not really up on instagram but could they not differentiate between a photo taken by a user and uploaded and a photo downloaded then uploaded?
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

18th Dec 12 at 17:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Balling

I'm not really up on instagram but could they not differentiate between a photo taken by a user and uploaded and a photo downloaded then uploaded?

The exif data maybe. I don't know.
Balling
Premium Member

18th Dec 12 at 17:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not really.

Theoretically they could filter out pictures not taken on a phone, by the EXIF data, but first of all, this would not work if say you uploaded a photo from your mobile to CS and I then posted it on Instagram, as the EXIF wouldn't tell if the picture was actually taken on my phone only that it was taken on a phone.
Secondly EXIF data is pretty easy to fake.

Robbo

18th Dec 12 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As a well respected IT blogging friend just said: if you dont pay for the product, you are the product
ed

18th Dec 12 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didn't realise I was well respected, but thanks.
Balling
Premium Member

18th Dec 12 at 20:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll