corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Windows PC vs New iMac

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Windows PC vs New iMac
James

User status: Offline
3rd Dec 12 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know this is going to end in a massive argument between Apple fanboys and other folk, but I thought I'd post it anyway.

I had my heart set on getting the new iMac when it came out, but I've just looked at the pricing. The standard prices aren't too bad, but I'd quite like the FusionDrive.

You can't get the FusionDrive on the entry level iMac, so first you have to spend another £200 to get the next level iMac. Then on top of that it's a £200 option

So it's basically £400 for a FusionDrive. I've heard good things about Flash drives and SSDs, so I'm quite keen to get one. But given it's going to cost me £1500 for the iMac with FusionDrive, I can't help but think how good a PC would be with even half of that much money spent on it.

Thoughts?
John

3rd Dec 12 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unless you need os x/want to have a nice looking mac, you can get a much better PC.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

3rd Dec 12 at 10:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could get a fusion IO card for a windows box and will be a lot cheaper than the mac
John

3rd Dec 12 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just get any SSD and a second storage drive.
Balling
Premium Member

3rd Dec 12 at 10:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The fusion drive is a bit pointless now that good size SSD's are quite affordable. I'd just get a base iMac and put in an SSD (provided the iMac is serviceable).

I guess it goes without saying that you pay a lot for the design when you go for an iMac, but I personally wouldn't even consider what an equivalent PC would cost.

But then I'm definitely a fanboy (in the eyes of CS at least) and could never get used to Windows again. By that I'm not saying that OS X is better, as it most definitely isn't. It's just better for me.

Sam
Premium Member

3rd Dec 12 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iMac + a Crucial or Samsung SSD.
Sam
Premium Member

3rd Dec 12 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also I use loads of different apps and I still have loads of free space on my 128GB on the MacBook Pro.

If you need to store "files" then just get an external USB hard drive for that purpose, won't cost you much.
Balling
Premium Member

3rd Dec 12 at 11:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
Also I use loads of different apps and I still have loads of free space on my 128GB on the MacBook Pro.

If you need to store "files" then just get an external USB hard drive for that purpose, won't cost you much.
I filled my 128 GB to the brim within a month of ownership. Way too small for me. And I do not store massive amounts of music and pirated videos.

External harddrive is also a no go for me. No point in buying a lovely all in one machine just to clutter up your desk with wired peripherals.

Sam
Premium Member

3rd Dec 12 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Suppose it depends what apps you actually use?

In my case, I use the usual Adobe apps, Office, small apps like FTP clients and text editors, but most stuff I use is either online based (i.e. Spotify) or uses big data from other sources (like a NAS).
evilrob
Premium Member

3rd Dec 12 at 11:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No matter how fast the equivalent PC is for the same or less money, it's just never going to make you as happy every time you look at it because you've already made your mind up you want one but you just don't like the price.

If you want a new iMac with FusionDrive, take the plunge - you pay Apple tax to guarantee won't be disappointed with the product or after-sales service, but it's only money, you can't take it with you.

I'm very much of the policy to buy what I want rather than compromise - too many times I've gone with several iterations of cheaper options (not just with computers - anything) only to ultimately end up buying what I originally wanted having actually spent more in the long run.

Options on cars is another good one - I had the chance to buy a car with a number of options I didn't need but really wanted (upgraded sound, leather interior etc), and a cheaper version of the same car but with boggo sound and fabric interior. I listened to my head and bought the cheaper one, but in the long run, I changed the interior and upgraded the sound myself and ended up spending more than if I'd just bought the one I wanted in the first place.
Dom

3rd Dec 12 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbh, if you want a decent spec iMac then unfortunately you're going to have to fork out for the privilege and be contempt in knowing that upgrading the system is, realistically, a no-go.

Personally i would recommend looking at the Mac-mini, ram is upgradable plus you can upgrade and mount a second drive. Get a VESA mount for it and it won't take up any more space than the monitor.

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
The fusion drive is a bit pointless now that good size SSD's are quite affordable. I'd just get a base iMac and put in an SSD (provided the iMac is serviceable).

On the new iMacs you have to heat gun the display to remove it and then replace the adhesive foam (no idea if you can purchase a replacement), which i suspect will void any warranty. You're also limited to a single drive and the base model doesn't include the pin-header for their SSD 'cards'.
Dom

3rd Dec 12 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by evilrob
No matter how fast the equivalent PC is for the same or less money, it's just never going to make you as happy every time you look at it because you've already made your mind up you want one but you just don't like the price.

If you want a new iMac with FusionDrive, take the plunge - you pay Apple tax to guarantee won't be disappointed with the product or after-sales service, but it's only money, you can't take it with you.

I'm very much of the policy to buy what I want rather than compromise - too many times I've gone with several iterations of cheaper options (not just with computers - anything) only to ultimately end up buying what I originally wanted having actually spent more in the long run.

Options on cars is another good one - I had the chance to buy a car with a number of options I didn't need but really wanted (upgraded sound, leather interior etc), and a cheaper version of the same car but with boggo sound and fabric interior. I listened to my head and bought the cheaper one, but in the long run, I changed the interior and upgraded the sound myself and ended up spending more than if I'd just bought the one I wanted in the first place.

Not sure how comparing purchasing a PC of an equivalent or better spec is the same to purchase a worse spec car

And i'm not sure where the compromise is buying a PC of the same spec; apart from design and that's purely subjective.

It's all horses for courses anyway and what works for someone doesn't mean it'll work for another.
Tbf, if need something that looks good and need OSX then go Apple. If you need a better spec'd and upgradable system for the same cash then go PC (and stick OSX on if you want; no Balling it doesn't take lines and lines of terminal hackery, just a USB stick, a retail copy of OSX and about 10mins sitting in your chair going through the OSX install).

[Edited on 03-12-2012 by Dom]
Balling
Premium Member

3rd Dec 12 at 12:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

evilrob
Premium Member

3rd Dec 12 at 12:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Not sure how comparing purchasing a PC of an equivalent or better spec is the same to purchase a worse spec car

It was another example of why I'm of the opinion you should just buy the thing you want in the first place. The principle is the same no matter what you're buying.

I was just saying that in my experience, if I'm debating what to buy on grounds of cost - historically I've bought a cheaper or more cost-effective option only to be disappointed and ultimately gone out and got what I wanted in the first place; the net result being I've spent more overall than if I just bought the thing I was umm-ing and ahh-ing over at the beginning.
Dom

3rd Dec 12 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling

LeeM

3rd Dec 12 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just put an ssd in and plug an external hard drive in the back. use the edu link ive posted for some good discount too.
that said, with my edu link its only £1275 for the second level 21.5 with a 1tb fusion drive (£15 more than if you bought a base model with a £160 fusion drive add-on without discount)
Robbo

3rd Dec 12 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
you've already made your mind up you want one but you just don't like the price.
this, tbh

on 2 similar topics, my Air 128GB hard drive is compeltely filled with pics and music and the occasional downloaded tv show which i watch and then delete. infuriates the hell out of me. I desperately want to swap my Air for an iMac (1TB HD as standard - yes please!) and an iPad as it would make much more sense but i dont have the space for an iMac at present
LeeM

3rd Dec 12 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats why i bought a pro, 128gb sdd and a 500gb hdd
Marc

3rd Dec 12 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

This is a very good point and the reason I got one recently
Robbo

3rd Dec 12 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i bought my Air when they were practically brand new out for the wow factor, functionally it's a bit limiting though
Dom

3rd Dec 12 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
just put an ssd in....

As mentioned, easier said than done with the new iMac.
ed

3rd Dec 12 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's sad news, why did they make their desktop machine non upgradable? Can understand it in a portable when you want everything to be as small and compact as possible.

Take a look at a Mac Mini instead I guess, if you want a Mac? I use Windows and OSX 50/50 now and I still think I prefer OSX - that sort of preference is only something you can decide though.

[Edited on 03-12-2012 by ed]
LeeM

3rd Dec 12 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the last gen imacs were upgradable, but you had to take pretty much everything out to do the hard drive. mac pro's are easily upgradable, i guess the target audience prefer a thin good looking machine they dont have to or want to fuck about with
Russ

3rd Dec 12 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as an iMac owner, i can proudly say, dont waste your money
James

3rd Dec 12 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
as an iMac owner, i can proudly say, dont waste your money

Care to elaborate?

<<  1    2  >>