corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Flashgun for Canon 40d? The 580ex any good?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Flashgun for Canon 40d? The 580ex any good?
jrsteeve

User status: Offline
7th Jan 13 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update - picked up a Nissin Di622 mk2 from ebay at £70, not too bad. Had a quick go on a property and got some reasonable, if blurry results.

http://www.manchesterpropertygroup.co.uk/propinfo.php?pid=215 (there was no power in the property at all so was almost pitch black)

Had another go on a larger property but the flash only lit up the front half of the room, didn't have time to change the flash setting but will keep at it.

Cheers for the advice
neoquip

7th Jan 13 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

youtube has some good tips when using the flash.

were you bouncing the flash or directing the flash forward?
jrsteeve

7th Jan 13 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pretty much pointed the flash to the ceiling, nothing good came from pointing it forwards.
neoquip

7th Jan 13 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you might need to reduce the flash compensation on teh Camera settings.
click menu and flash setting, then click external flash.. then drop it own a notch.
jrsteeve

8th Jan 13 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by neoquip
you might need to reduce the flash compensation on teh Camera settings.
click menu and flash setting, then click external flash.. then drop it own a notch.

Cheers, will give it a go.
Rob E

15th Jan 13 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you shooting in ETTL? Your best bet is to manually control the flash. Ideally you want the flash off the camera but I'm going to guess you dont have the capabitliy at the moment.

Attach the flash to the camera and point to the ceiling, Set your camera to Manual mode - ISO to 100, aperature to F5.6 and then shutter speed to 1/200 (This is a good starting point for any exposure when your using a flashgun). Turn on the flash and switch to manual mode, minimum zoom setting and 1/1 power setting and fire off a test shot.

If its too dark then try increasing the aperture by 1 stop (f4.0). If the lens doesn't open that wide then bump up the ISO to 200 (while remaining at f5.6) which will also increase your exposure by 1 stop.

If its too bright then decrease the exposure by 1 stop by doing the opposite from above (aperture f8.0).

You wont need to touch the shutter speed unless you want to draw in a mixture of flash light and ambient light (shutter speed controls ambient light reaching the sensor and aperture controls flash light reaching the sensor)

I took these to help explain a bit whats going on.

First Picture - My living room @ ISO100, F5.6, 1/200 with NO flash

Living room - no flash by rob.evans22, on Flickr

Second Picture - My living room @ ISO100, F5.6, 1/200 with flash 1/1 power 35mm zoom and pointing at the ceiling Not too bad but still under exposed a fair bit by looking at the histogram

Living room @ f5.6 by rob.evans22, on Flickr

Third Picture - My living room @ ISO100, F4.0, 1/200 with flash 1/1 power 35mm zoom and pointing at the ceiling A much better exposure with the histogram sitting nicely in the middle. The further part of the room is still pretty under exposed due to the ceiling beam, but I would tackle that personally with a second flash gun placed on top of the couch aiming at the ceiling the other side of the beam.

Living room @ f4.0 by rob.evans22, on Flickr

Hope this helps you a bit. I would have gone further but my camera battery died.

[Edited on 15-01-2013 by Rob E]
neoquip

15th Jan 13 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what's that thing on the floor?
BluKoo

16th Jan 13 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by neoquip
what's that thing on the floor?

It's a tv for their cat.
Rob E

16th Jan 13 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's my landlord's TV that I ha e replaced with my flatscreen in the background. He is away until next week so its sitting there awaiting him to remove it
neoquip

17th Jan 13 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought you were going to mount it over the fire place. lol

anyway.. have a look at this...

http://lightingforrealestatephotography.com/

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Flashgun for Canon 40d? The 580ex any good? 23 database queries in 0.0119870 seconds