corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Sky+/two feeds from a single feed in a block of flats

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Sky+/two feeds from a single feed in a block of flats
jrsteeve

User status: Offline
30th Oct 12 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right so i've done a bit of back reading but can't seem to find the actual answer. It is possible to essentially send the dual feed down a single feed cable using the stacker/de-stacker system, but is it possible to just do it to one flat (i.e. mine) and can I do it myself?

Went to Clas Ohlson last night and the had a load of satellite accessories, splitters and things but no bloody explanation of what they were.

Has anyone done/tried this and succeeded? I'm on the 7th floor of an 11 storey block and can access the tv cable cupboards.

Russ

30th Oct 12 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are you just trying to use one cable from LNB to box?

you need to activate single feed mode on the box in the engineers menu
jrsteeve

30th Oct 12 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's only one cable/connection to use, the building was built before Sky+ existed, have just moved from a place with individual dishes. Without the second feed you're only able to record what you're watching, pretty useless.
John

30th Oct 12 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There will be a technical way to do it but there's a 90% probability that the stuff you need isn't there. You'd then still need 2 feeds from the dish to multiplex.
jrsteeve

30th Oct 12 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's this stuff - http://www.cyberselect.co.uk/range/1293

My question really is, is there another way? Or, does the stacker bit actually have to be right next to the LNB? Not sure if I can access that bit of the building.
John

30th Oct 12 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It doesn't need to be beside the LNB, you still need 2 feeds from the LNB though.
Toby
Premium Member

30th Oct 12 at 22:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This maybe a stupid question bit will sky not come and install a shotgun coax cable?
John

30th Oct 12 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably not in a flat with a communal dish/dishes.
Toby
Premium Member

30th Oct 12 at 22:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I posed the question about it when I was looking at a flat and they advised would be done free under a home move and the only difference would be that it was a contractor and not sky themselves. Didn't go into the ins and outs of the type of dishes etc and she could have been wrong but that's what i got told.

Edit: this was only 1 month ago.

[Edited on 30-10-2012 by Toby]
noshua

30th Oct 12 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had the same problem a couple months ago, you either need a stacker/de-stacker or another line. As John said really.

If you can get to the LNB, get another line put in. In my flat the dish is right outside the bathroom hatch, I reckon if someone held my feet I'd be able to whack another feed in, then climb into the loft and feed it to the living room, but fuck that
ed

31st Oct 12 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had the same issue in a flat I used to live in (actually have it now but don't have Sky so doesn't matter). We had the option to pay an installer to come in and give us an extra feed using a stacker/destacker thing I think. Was on a first come first serve basis as there weren't enough feeds available on each floor for every flat to have Sky+ - excellent foresight for a building completed in 2007!
jrsteeve

1st Nov 12 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So i've had a tv engineer look into it, long story short the stacker/destacker would be the simplest solution as the cable that's been installed is of a high enough quality - if it was shit it wouldn't work. There was the option to go down the route using an SCR but they're as rare as rocking horse shit.

Does appear new versions of the SCR are coming out but there's only one supplier - DAS - who are thundercunts on pricing.
John

1st Nov 12 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As long as they can get to the dish and there are either an extra feed at the LNB, or they can add another one, it's easy.
jrsteeve

1st Nov 12 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've ordered a stacker/destacker as it's the cheapest option for now, if it doesn't work I'll just sell it on. Should do though, there are spare connections in the riser cupboard, just need to work out which one mine is.
noshua

1st Nov 12 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much did you pay? I'd personally put up with it and get a "dodgy box"

No balcony to get one temporarily fitted until you move out?
jrsteeve

1st Nov 12 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was £70 off ebay. How'd the dodgy box help? Would you be able to record more than one thing at a time? I'm all for being the rules!
jrsteeve

1st Nov 12 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and yes we do have a balcony but we'd struggle to fit it as it's pretty narrow and has a metal grill around it, the glazed ones are fine for it though apparently.
eckers90

2nd Nov 12 at 08:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok from what i know. the reason why sky plus has 2 feeds is 1 for what your watching, and 1 for what your recording, you can have plus but have to watch what your recording. the stacker wont work.
John

2nd Nov 12 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The stacker will work fine as long as it's provided with 2 feeds, why wouldn't it?
jrsteeve

2nd Nov 12 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
The stacker will work fine as long as it's provided with 2 feeds, why wouldn't it?

Depends on the wiring having no kinks or faults, the only parts I can see look fine but there could be issues with what runs through the walls.
John

2nd Nov 12 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not for the purposes of what eckers is saying though.
jrsteeve

2nd Nov 12 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Not for the purposes of what eckers is saying though.

Sorry, the timeline appeared messed up and didn't see eckers' post. Indeed it should work, will update once i've installed the bastard.
noshua

2nd Nov 12 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah the stacker provides 2 feeds Eckers.

No the dodgy boxes aren't anything different, just cheaper and like I said, for the price wouldn't bother me, irritates me laying £40 to sky for one feed though. I don't watch it enough (or record as I can download 90%) to warrant buying a stacker thing. Useful to keep though if the next place you move into has the same problem.

Reason I ask about the balcony is, if you can reach around then it'd be cheaper to get a dish and some cable (£30-40) and then remove it when you move out.
jrsteeve

6th Nov 12 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update: Stacker/De-stacker works!

Was a bit of a faff in the riser cupboard, hopefully no one will see it for a while, but feels good to have full use of sky+!

New Poll