corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Project: Spray alloy wheels for winter.

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Project: Spray alloy wheels for winter.
neoquip

User status: Offline
27th Sep 12 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

done these over this week.. so I'm posting as I did the......

After I sprayed my 17" STi alloys (winter alloys) green.. the year has come round for me to have a change of colour... so this year I'm going blue..

12 cans off Ebay under £18 delivered!!

These will be fitted on my car in November once it's been serviced.

I've started with prepping them, wet & dry sanding down, I removed the weights as these were coming a bit loose (I'll get them re balanced once painted)

Where I noticed a bit of blistering, I've scrapped down and sanded to try and improve it.

This evening I had a go at taping up.. the inner hubs..

neoquip

27th Sep 12 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

after taping up a two wheels last night and getting fed up using newspaper, the tape gun came out

this was easier lol

Two cans of WHITE primer later, I'd wafted over both sides a couple of times.

I've noticed some slight 'sissing'. Even though they were cleaned down with fairy liquid and wet/dry sand paper, you can see there must be a bit of wax or something on the alloys. I'll see what they look like tomorrow before I spray blue.
If they need another 'nib' down and a re prime, I'll do that.
neoquip

27th Sep 12 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

while I'm waiting between coats I thought I'd post up where I am now.

I've 12 cans of spray (225ml per can), so that's 4 cans per alloy.

I'm using ONE can for the inners... and TWO cans on the outter face ofthe alloys.
Not too worried about being a bit mottled on the insides as you don't really see them when fitted. Just making sure the rims/edges are coated well.

One can does the inside fine.

For the outside 1st coat one can is more than enough, so the second can will just body the alloy up.

I must say I'm impressed with the quality of the spray can, normally with 'cheaper' cans they spray is pants.. but these spray really well.

Heading back to the garage now to give a 2nd/final coat to the outside of the alloys.

Not sure if I want a Gloss or Satin lacquer to protect them now. :?:
neoquip

27th Sep 12 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2nd coat has gone on now...

pic taken without 'flash'

all done

Really pleased...

They have bodied up nicely, the second can of spray was ample for the final second coat, with what was left I wafted the back of the alloy again, mainly the inner part of the rim where it meets the front part of the alloy.

I know you could give teh alloys another coat if you wanted an even better coverage on the alloys, but seeing these are just for winter I'll let them go as they are.

All I need to do now is a couple of coats of lacquer.. that'll be done later this week to give the blue chance to harden off
neoquip

27th Sep 12 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ebay link for the spray can's I've used
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110916213544?var=410125097891&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_14571wt_905
Steve
Premium Member

27th Sep 12 at 19:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that neon paint usually lasts about 2 weeks
Ben G

27th Sep 12 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i personally think you are insane but that is a cracking job there mate. love the colour! bet they will look great on the scooby.
Balling
Premium Member

27th Sep 12 at 19:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough for having a go yourself and doing something different, but why not have them done properly?

With 18£ worth of rattle cans they're bound to look shit before the end of January.

RichR
Premium Member

27th Sep 12 at 19:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Iirc Neoquip is a painter by trade albeit domestic/commercial but he's got paint knowledge etc and they are only his winter wheels. He made a great job painting them green first time round
Corsa_Sport21

27th Sep 12 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks a good job tbh. I bet if they were well prep'd, which they probably were, they will last a long time regardless of what spray paint was used.

Also, to save masking up wheels, use playing cards in between the rim and tyre. Takes about 10s, and works perfect.

neoquip

27th Sep 12 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
i personally think you are insane but that is a cracking job there mate. love the colour! bet they will look great on the scooby.

cheers Ben
The GREEN lasted quite well over the winter, a few stone chips and some chips I did when removing the alloys with teh NUT, back in March/April this year.

But as these are just for winter I'm not too worried about chipping etc, next year I can do them another colour.

Once I can get a waft coat of lacquer on the BLUE alloys, I'll let that harden and give them a few more coats for protection.

[Edited on 27-09-2012 by neoquip]
edd1.0

27th Sep 12 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks like a good job , out of curiosity what are your summer wheels ?
neoquip

28th Sep 12 at 05:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

19" Prodrive GT2 alloys
flybikeslee

28th Sep 12 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got those wheels as my track wheels on the s2000
adiohead

28th Sep 12 at 15:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by neoquip
19" Prodrive GT2 alloys

Love those wheels
big eck

28th Sep 12 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The blue will look great against the white.
neoquip

29th Sep 12 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

finished them off last night,
a couple of waft coats of lacquer on the inside and about 3 good waft coats on the outside.

I used HOLTS Car Paint Lacquer (£3.99 for 300ml @ the RANGE)
It's a lovely gloss finish.
Just had to be careful not to get get runs or over do it with the lacquer as it started to soften the BLUE up. It was best to waft it over the surfaces.. leave for 25mins, then go back and give them another coat.

With the tapes removed they look great IMO

I've now put them out side to harden off, it says on the back of the lacquer cans to leave them for about 5-7days before you do anything with them.
Seeing that I'm not fitting them till November, I can wait. Then I'll get them re balanced and weighted.

Well Chuffed
big eck

29th Sep 12 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They look great.
Wrighty

29th Sep 12 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks good mate doesnt look too neon to be tacky but its a really nice blue, DIY refurb ftw also
Rich H

29th Sep 12 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good effort!

Out of interest, as they're winter wheels, is there any particular reason why you're not running winter tyres on them too? (or at least I don't think they are?)
Haimsey
Premium Member

29th Sep 12 at 20:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks great!

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
neoquip

29th Sep 12 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rich H
Good effort!

Out of interest, as they're winter wheels, is there any particular reason why you're not running winter tyres on them too? (or at least I don't think they are?)

there the std tyres that come on the sti alloys, cost is the main thing. also I picked up the tyres/alloys last year for under £330 (tnx ebay lol)and the guy had never used them as he had 18"s fitted from new. So I use these as winter alloys
vx-scottw
Premium Member

29th Sep 12 at 20:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats a nice blue done a good job there mate
boylers11

29th Sep 12 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like you've done a good job there! Wheels are looking great. I'm refurbish some wheels at the moment too. Can you get matt lacquer?
neoquip

29th Sep 12 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used satin/matt lacquer last year... I used the Hycote stuff
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hycote-Clear-Lacquer-Spray-Paint-400ml-/110950229349?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item19d5262565#ht_1437wt_1162

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Project: Spray alloy wheels for winter. 23 database queries in 0.1965380 seconds