corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » boxing in meters, just can't work it out

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author boxing in meters, just can't work it out
Carl

User status: Offline
21st Sep 12 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a fuse box and a electric meter at the bottom of the stairs and no matter how many times I look for guides on how to do it I just can't find a way I can follow. Can anyone point me in the right direction or explain how to do it and what I need?! It looks horrid, just want to tidy it up but also need access to read meter or if a fuse blows.

It's like my nemisis, just want to get it sorted but actually do it myself rather than get someone else to do it.

[Edited on 21-09-2012 by Carl]
Jamie-C

21st Sep 12 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats terrible where thats been fitted. TBH I'd be we-wiring it to somewhere hidden such as a lowdown cupboard or similar.
Carl

21st Sep 12 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie-C
Thats terrible where thats been fitted. TBH I'd be we-wiring it to somewhere hidden such as a lowdown cupboard or similar.

Good knows, been like that since I moved in, just staring at me everytime I walk down the stairs! There are no cupboards etc anywhere near, wouldn't it be a major operation to move? I was thinking if I could get rid of that baord that it sits on and compact it a bit it might be better as It's near on a meter wide if not.
John

21st Sep 12 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Frame round it and a couple of doors?
Carl

21st Sep 12 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Frame round it and a couple of doors?

how do you do it though? everything I've searched just doesn't throw up a decent guide, that I could follow. 2x2 batoning, is about as far as I can think!
andy_mk3

21st Sep 12 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Use your imagination, you just need a frame and boards to cover it.
Carl

21st Sep 12 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by andy_mk3
Use your imagination, you just need a frame and boards to cover it.

me, tools and imagination don't mix. especially around parts of walls where there are likely to be wires. Also I like to (and need to in regards to tools and materials) plan.

I've been in over 2 year and I just can't get my head around it. that's why i've posted it on here.
_Allan_

21st Sep 12 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get a cheap small kitchen cupboard carcass and rip the back out. Fit over. Job done
White and stick a white door on and handle

Seen that done in an old house.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
21st Sep 12 at 22:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You got a wider angle pic of the whole bit of the room its in?
Colin

21st Sep 12 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wider angle needed as above.

What heights it at!? Might nit be possible but i'd try and get some sort of door with a mirror over it with it being on bottom of the stairs it would be usefull.
sc0ott

22nd Sep 12 at 06:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you cant find anything by tuesday i can go out on to one of our building sites and take a few pictures. We have a site where joiners are building them up where elec meters/consumer units are under stairs.
Carl

22nd Sep 12 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by _Allan_
Get a cheap small kitchen cupboard carcass and rip the back out. Fit over. Job done
White and stick a white door on and handle

Seen that done in an old house.

Thought about that but its the size of it that is the stumbling block. Been hoping to drop on something but just doesn't look like it will ever happen!
it needs to be 85 x 45cm at least. The fuse box is about 12cm thick too.

It's about 5ft up when you are on the step in front of it.

Something like that Scott would be good. I know I could do it if I had the knowledge to be able to get the tools and resources all at the same time to have a crack!
Gary
Premium Member

22nd Sep 12 at 11:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get some 3x2 timber and no nails it to the wall (don't drill into that wall, there'll be wires everywhere)

Cut a piece of mdf the box you just made, sand annice bevel on it and fix it on with some cuboard door catches. Fill gaps and paint.

Easiest way if your not good with stuff like that.

Alternativly post the job on myhammer and get a joiner in to do something nice
sc0ott

22nd Sep 12 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I actually thought it was under the stairs.

I think given where it is it may look better if you stick some coat hooks above and just cover it with coats, jackets etc.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

22nd Sep 12 at 14:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fucking hell! who would put that there!

might be better going to ikea and buying a cupboard and cutting the back out of it
random dav
Premium Member

22nd Sep 12 at 15:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd just try and make the slimmest cupboard possible if you dont want the expensive of moving it, ivi's idea aint a bad one.

But feck me who put it there

WRLFC !

Project cars
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

22nd Sep 12 at 19:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by random dav
ivi's idea aint a bad one.

i'm not just a pretty face
Firestate88

22nd Sep 12 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20205171/

maybe something like that would be ideal for you? just take the back out of it and slide it over job done, i have something similar but smaller in my room (converted garage) to hide the fuse box
Colin

22nd Sep 12 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd get some 2*4 batton wood from b&q put a box frame round it, paint it then get a framed mirror and some piano hinges and mount it on the wood surround. That way it's nice and close to the wall, serves a purpose and is still easy accessible.
Ben G

23rd Sep 12 at 00:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what an odd place to put that

mark's idea is pretty good, although as gary said, screwing into the wall could cause problems.
Carl

23rd Sep 12 at 07:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Firestate88
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20205171/

maybe something like that would be ideal for you? just take the back out of it and slide it over job done, i have something similar but smaller in my room (converted garage) to hide the fuse box

It would but it needs to be 85 cm on longest edge unless I tried to modify that shit backing that is already on but ideally I'd want something right to the wall anyway.

although if i glue 4x2 around it I'll need to chop that back off a bit or adapt the 4 x 2 I suppose.
Seany

23rd Sep 12 at 09:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
I'd get some 2*4 batton wood from b&q put a box frame round it, paint it then get a framed mirror and some piano hinges and mount it on the wood surround. That way it's nice and close to the wall, serves a purpose and is still easy accessible.

This. But what a bloody stupid place to put it all.
Rob_Quads

23rd Sep 12 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I personally would not box that in because you are liable to knock your head on it. That could result in a serious accident if you end up falling back down the stairs.

If anything I would only box in the main switch/meter rather than the consumer unit. Make sure its as flush as possible. Easy to do with a bit of MDF and some screws and glue. You could even fix it to the existing board meaning y don't need to drill into the wall.
dannymccann

23rd Sep 12 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Colin's idea of a mirror is a good one, rather than a cupboard just to cover it up, make it useful, but I would also be wary of the height issue and banging your head on it. We have a 'dwarf cupboard' with a really small door and I am forever banging my head on it
CORSA NUT

23rd Sep 12 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't spot a main earth cable either assuming it's hidden somehow? It looks to be a TN-CS system which means you should have an earth cable coming out of the side of the inlet box (on the right) to your board. Also can't see any gas and water bonds but they could be hidden in the walls and be inside the board.

I'd be very carefull screwing anything around it also TBF

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll