corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Boxers- whats your workout

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Boxers- whats your workout
bigdan

User status: Offline
8th Dec 09 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so when you go to your boxing hall/classes what do ya actually do ?

any one got a training program?
DizzyRebel

8th Dec 09 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got an uncle whos a pro trainer and 5 times raf champ... if u want a decent boxing routine it depends what level you are at, what class you wish to fight in etc.
Laney

8th Dec 09 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As above, it depends on what you're there for and what level you're at. Some people are down just for the exercise and some are down to learn/training to fight.

At my gym we all do the same warm up - advanced do more pushups/situps and generally push themselves harder. A mixture of pad work and contact work depending on the ability of the class.
DizzyRebel

8th Dec 09 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you just do boxercise, then usually plyometric and cardio circuits make up most of the trainign with bagwork and pads thrown in.

If you are training for a weight class fight them the possibilities are endless depending on the individual
bigdan

8th Dec 09 at 23:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

basically looking for the fitness work to start with then start training to fight at HW
DizzyRebel

9th Dec 09 at 08:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry to say it but you're too old to start fighting, most fighters would have started early into their teens. You will be too old to learn the reflexes and motor skills needed to be competetive. I started when i was 14 but just couldnt grasp it so gave it up.

I dont see the point in being boxing fit if you are not going to fight, so i just do regular weight training 4 times a week then on a sat or sun do some bag work, power, speed and mobility drills just so i dont slow down completely
Laney

9th Dec 09 at 09:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DizzyRebel
Sorry to say it but you're too old to start fighting, most fighters would have started early into their teens. You will be too old to learn the reflexes and motor skills needed to be competetive. I started when i was 14 but just couldnt grasp it so gave it up.

Sorry, but thats bollocks. Fair enough he might not be the next Olympic prospect but there's no point in just giving up because of age. You're in your 20's aren't you Dan? Train hard, get stuck in and see where it takes you!
corsa - gus

9th Dec 09 at 09:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm planning on starting doing more cardio, I had to sit and sook ice cubes for two days to make the weight in my first and potentially last fight if I'm not finding it easier to shed pounds. My fight was at 67kg and got down from 69kg in 2 days for the weigh in, I was a grumpy badger doing that though so never again!
bigdan

9th Dec 09 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

thats bullshit.

bigdan

9th Dec 09 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Laney
quote:

Sorry, but thats bollocks. Fair enough he might not be the next Olympic prospect but there's no point in just giving up because of age. You're in your 20's aren't you Dan? Train hard, get stuck in and see where it takes you!

just gone 20.
Craig W

9th Dec 09 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Matt Skelton didn't start boxing until he was around 38. Granted he had an excellent Thai boxing/K1 career before but still, professional boxing is a different ball game.
Laney

9th Dec 09 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bigdan
quote:
Originally posted by Laney

just gone 20.

Loads of time then. Find a decent club, show a good attitude and you'll be fine
corsa - gus

9th Dec 09 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plenty time mate, I was nearly 21 when I first started going to the gym with my mate to do a little thai boxing. I was never really that keen to fight, just wanted the training but I got more and more into it. I'm not very good at being hard on myself though and like to munch far too much bad food so found it hard to make the weight I fight at. I can't really afford to move up to 70kg because I'll get battered and I find it hard to stay at 67kg which is my ideal weight as I'm able to assert myself more. I'm retirng un-deafeated though by the looks of things I'm still going to be a regular in the gym though as I do love the training and sparring, just not got the comitment! If you want to do it, you must be comitted, and if you are you will be able to hold your own no problem with a bit of hard work.
Wrighty

9th Dec 09 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all over body blast on weights 3 times a week with skipping inbetween sets
as much cycling as possible
pad work with my cousin
timed rounds of bag work
and treadmill when i can be bothered

its mainly fitness/cardio work, amatuer & pro boxers are running atleast 30 miles per week.
Hammer

9th Dec 09 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Sorry to say it but you're too old to start fighting,

*facepalm*
DizzyRebel

9th Dec 09 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id never bother fighting if the best i could do was the ABA. You wont go pro unless you start from an early age and tbh if your not going to take it all the way then why start it at all?

By all means the fitness side of it and mobility drills are good, plus it teaches you how to punch properly and block. But if im going to get clouted round the head then i want there to be a reason for it. Lots of boxers end up as potatoes so if there no recognition for it i never see the point in it.
eddiewhiteley

9th Dec 09 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Id never bother fighting if the best i could do was the ABA. You wont go pro unless you start from an early age and tbh if your not going to take it all the way then why start it at all?

By all means the fitness side of it and mobility drills are good, plus it teaches you how to punch properly and block. But if im going to get clouted round the head then i want there to be a reason for it. Lots of boxers end up as potatoes so if there no recognition for it i never see the point in it.

is there anything you dont know
Hammer

9th Dec 09 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He doesn't appear to know the only heavyweight world champion of the world that retired undefeated never started boxing until he was 24 anyway.
A1EX

10th Dec 09 at 08:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LMFAO at the age thing, what planet are you on? hahaha

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Boxers- whats your workout 24 database queries in 0.0121629 seconds