corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » UK VPNs

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author UK VPNs
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
29th Aug 12 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can anyone recommend any good UK VPNs, preferably with a large selection of servers/IPs to connect to?
Dom

29th Aug 12 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

HideMyAss and VPNUK are worth looking at, never personally used either though. A cheap UK LEB running OpenVPN would be another option although you obviously wouldn't have the server/IP selection.
Sam
Premium Member

29th Aug 12 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've used HideIPVPN in the past but they only have 4 or 5 IPs. Will check out those two you mentioned, Dom, cheers.
James

29th Aug 12 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use HideMyAss. Seemed to come out on top when I looked into it a while back.

Someone on here recommended UnblockUS but it's not a VPN and only works for a handle of sites.
Sam
Premium Member

29th Aug 12 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Decided to sign up with SecurityKISS in the end. Seems pretty good for my requirements, and reasonably priced too.
Toby
Premium Member

30th Aug 12 at 06:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry to gate crash, but would using a VPN like the one you have chosen, would it avoid traffic shaping for Usenet as even using SSL ports they can see it.
Dom

30th Aug 12 at 08:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd be trying the other SSL ports your Usenet provider offers before using a VPN, as you're likely to get slower speeds using Usenet over a VPN connection. That and most VPN services come with limited bandwidth.
Toby
Premium Member

30th Aug 12 at 08:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Astraweb offers two and Plusnet can see them both 443 and 563.

I went unlimited with Plusnet and they said they would throttle, well thats one word for it, dropping at 6pm almost on the dot my speeds drop from around 850~kb/s to arouns 12~kb/s and i cant cope.

Arent VPN's SSL? That to me, means they would provide as much bandwith as i can take (within reason and i dont think 8meg is going to cause to many issues) Also, ive seen HideMyAss does unlimited bandwith for $11 which i could live with.
Dom

30th Aug 12 at 08:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SSL just means it's encrypted. The VPN could still come with a connection (ie: limits your to 1Mbit etc) or bandwidth limits. So you'd need to read exactly what the VPN is offering and any restriction (having a quick look i can't see anything on the HideMyAss site).

Using a VPN might help you though.
Toby
Premium Member

30th Aug 12 at 11:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers Dom, may roll with it for a month and see its only a few $'s. Not sure how long i need it for as looking to be on the move within the next couple of months anyway.

New Poll