corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Anyone been to New York City - Booked

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anyone been to New York City - Booked
Matt L

User status: Offline
13th Aug 12 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have been twice and going again in a few weeks (cant wait).

first time i went was april 05, so spring time, weather was pretty hot from what i remember.

2nd time was december 09 and all ill say is it was -10 by 11am funking cold is an understatement (especially to do an open top bus tour), but saying that i think new york around christmas time is my favourite tbh.

both times we stayed in the novatel on times square and the 2nd time we have a view of time square which was awesome (a view i could never tire of ) i think both times we went for either 3 or 4 night and we never stopped but we saw everything we wanted to and more tbh.

this time again going for 4 nights again but stopping in a the warldorf as weirdly it was the cheapest at the time we booked so quite looking forward to this one.

[Edited on 13-08-2012 by Matt L]
Pop

13th Aug 12 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We went last July for a week, did loads and loved it! Planning on heading out the first weekend in April next year with my brother for Wrestlemania
stuartmitchell

14th Aug 12 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We went in Feb mate. Stayed at the Sheriton Tower hotel just up from Times Square. Booked through North American Travel.
SetH

4th Sep 12 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BTTT

Going with the Girlfriend for 7 nights from 27th Dec to 3rd January and just been scoping deals out.

Jesus Wept at Times Square at 1pm! I assume if you want to be there for midnight you have to stand around for 12 hours, screw that!

Whitter, based on your experience what would you say the top 10 must do's are?
whitter45

4th Sep 12 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SetH
BTTT

Going with the Girlfriend for 7 nights from 27th Dec to 3rd January and just been scoping deals out.

Jesus Wept at Times Square at 1pm! I assume if you want to be there for midnight you have to stand around for 12 hours, screw that!

Whitter, based on your experience what would you say the top 10 must do's are?

It will differ for different people but for me

Empire State do either day or night. Whichever one you chose do opposite with Rockerfella
Rockerfella - book tickets early in teh day as they have time allocated slots
Ice Skating Central Park and also horse and carriage around central park
Day shopping on 5th Ave, maccys etc
Central Park Zoo
National History Museum
Aircraft Carrier Museum and cruise around Manhattan
Statue of liberty and Ground Zero
Spend a day around little Italy, China town etc
Walk Over brooklyn Bridge
few museums you can visit

If its your first time plan ahead so you make the most of it
Book the ground zero memorial in advance as you will gain access to the waterfalls otherwise there are huge queues that sell out
Hells Kitchen for some very good restuarnats

Do not book an organised party for New Years eve - first 2 times we went we paid over £600 for tickets and they were not that good

Just find a good irsh pub and roll in the new year

Subway is a good way to travel but Police do not advise after midnight to travel on Subway

take plenty of layers as it can get cold

Flat fee from JFK to anywhere in Manhattan is 50 dollars plus tips in yellow cab - easiest way of getting to and from the airport

New years Eve for Times square they start around 11am with the crowds although morning TV are interviewing people from 07:30 onwards. You get put into pens and you cannot leave for the toilet food etc. if you leave you lose your place and then join the crowds queuing for other pens. by 4pm you will get no where near the ball drop as the crowds end up past 57th Street some 15 blacks away come midnght

This year we are staying times square so it will be interesting how they allow access to hotels with the crowds etc on new years eve

Everywhere is relatively expensive as its NYC and take plenty of money for tips

[Edited on 04-09-2012 by whitter45]
SetH

4th Sep 12 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Mate, awesome info though.

what bout eating out etc? would rather venture out each evening instead of eating in a Hotel.

Just been looking at packages on Expedia, looks like breakfast is not included on almost anything, I guess this is the norm?

How easy is it to get from Newark Airport to Midtown?

Thanks again
whitter45

4th Sep 12 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

never eat in the hotel. there are literally thousands of places from the mainstream TGIs to the off the street italians etc

Found a good Indian restuarant last time

http://www.utsavny.com/index4.htm

Not sure on Newark but imagine its the same as JFK - its a major airport

Dont bother breakfast just go a bagel shop etc and get coffee and breakfast

Need plenty of spending money as an evening meal with drinks will cost over $100 with tips etc (obviously depending where you eat )

which hotels are you looking at

Ideally you want between 35th and 58th Street as that central to most places

SetH

4th Sep 12 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is that $100 per head for an evening meal? Jesus wept that is going to add serious cost if that's the case.

Good plan for breakfast, I was thinking this also.

Looking at 4-4.5 star hotels on Expedia and focusing on ones with plenty of good trip advisor reviews. Only started looking today so not narrowed it down.

however Expedia are doing 25% off the New York Palace which I think is 4.5 Star works out a saving of £725.

will be booking it in 2 weeks time, so I guess the best deal we can find on the day.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

4th Sep 12 at 13:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I need to book NY for next year been meaning to go for years and always find somewhere else!

How much you pay roughly for new years in NY?!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
SetH

4th Sep 12 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for 4+ Star hotels for 7 nights and flights from Heathrow over that period seems to be £1200-1700.

this is the kind of trip I would only do once so I don't want to stay somewhere shit. I am sure you could get it under a grand if needs be.
whitter45

4th Sep 12 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Is that $100 per head for an evening meal? Jesus wept that is going to add serious cost if that's the case.

Good plan for breakfast, I was thinking this also.

Looking at 4-4.5 star hotels on Expedia and focusing on ones with plenty of good trip advisor reviews. Only started looking today so not narrowed it down.

however Expedia are doing 25% off the New York Palace which I think is 4.5 Star works out a saving of £725.

will be booking it in 2 weeks time, so I guess the best deal we can find on the day.

nah $100 is for a couple matey
whitter45

4th Sep 12 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
for 4+ Star hotels for 7 nights and flights from Heathrow over that period seems to be £1200-1700.

this is the kind of trip I would only do once so I don't want to stay somewhere shit. I am sure you could get it under a grand if needs be.

IMO its a fine balance as you spend relatively little time in your hotel

Your out early in the morning out all day and get back and hit the sack ready for the next day

5 night break around New Year time can be anything from 2k to 3.5k including flights for 2 people

whitter45

4th Sep 12 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

once you have been once you will want to go back - its an addictive place
SetH

4th Sep 12 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
quote:

once you have been once you will want to go back - its an addictive place

Possibly, still so many places I have not been though and obviously do not have infinite funds.

$100 for 2 people for an evening meal sounds ok, will budget that in.

SetH

4th Sep 12 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

final question, hopefully

Can you recall a rough figure for the costs of the activities you listed please?

Empire State do either day or night. Whichever one you chose do opposite with Rockerfella
Central Park Zoo
National History Museum
few museums you can visit > Any recommendations?

cheers
whitter45

4th Sep 12 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
final question, hopefully

Can you recall a rough figure for the costs of the activities you listed please?

Central Park Zoo
National History Museum
few museums you can visit > Any recommendations?

cheers

Empire State do either day or night. Around $25 each - you can pay extra to go to the 102nd floor but you dont gain much and its all indoor at that level

Rockerfella - book tickets early in teh day as they have time allocated slots - Slightly more I think at $28

Ice Skating Central Park and also horse and carriage around central park - Ice skating was around %60 for 2 of us includign skate hire. Horse and carriage is $50

Central Park Zoo - Think that was around $20 each

National History Museum - Free for part of it and I think $20 each

Aircraft Carrier Museum and cruise around Manhattan - not sure cannot remember sorry

Statue of liberty and Ground Zero - Around $25 for statue of liberty - Water falls at ground zero are free if you can get tickets

http://visit.911memorial.org/WebStore/shop/ViewItems.aspx?CG=WSCG&C=TKTCAT

few museums you can visit - too many to list but most are free

I would suggest a new york pass if your going to do all the tourist things

http://www.newyorkpass.com/busTourPackages.aspx

Did this the first year and it saves you money as it includes access to all the attractions apart from ice skating and central park horse carriages etc but includes museums, boat tours and also hop on and hop off buses

SetH

4th Sep 12 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Superb, thanks buddy.
whitter45

4th Sep 12 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no probs - any questions just ask

Plenty on here have been so I am sure someone will answer any questions you may have

again all of the above is from experience and others may have different views etc
stuartmitchell

4th Sep 12 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Thanks Mate, awesome info though.

what bout eating out etc? would rather venture out each evening instead of eating in a Hotel.

Just been looking at packages on Expedia, looks like breakfast is not included on almost anything, I guess this is the norm?

How easy is it to get from Newark Airport to Midtown?

Thanks again

Hi mate. We flew into Newark. You can get the train from there which turns into the Subway when you hit Manhattan. Cannot remember the name of the stop but it's really straight forward and cheaper than getting a Joe!
SetH

4th Sep 12 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool cheers
stuartmitchell

4th Sep 12 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nae bother
Joe

4th Sep 12 at 17:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seth is the new pow.
Nath

4th Sep 12 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Joe
Seth is the new pow.

oRbbo!
James

4th Sep 12 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We flew out of Newark (into JFK), there's a shuttle bus that runs really frequently between Newark Airport and Manhattan.
James

4th Sep 12 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
We flew out of Newark (into JFK), there's a shuttle bus that runs really frequently between Newark Airport and Manhattan.

Actually I might have that wrong, a bus definitely runs to one of them

We got the train/subway from the other.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Anyone been to New York City - Booked 23 database queries in 0.0135050 seconds