corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Irish Vauxhall Corsa SXi

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Irish Vauxhall Corsa SXi
jrdn7

User status: Offline
1st Oct 12 at 23:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the offer Jamie mate, ya could come as far as letterkenny & get a lift down?

But aye, halfords ready mix is wank. Would get a better colour match in a primary school art set!

So I've no need to mask up next time then? What about overspray?
csifku

2nd Oct 12 at 00:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anything u paint, even the car panels or bonnet or anything dont mask it, paint whole things for example u need to paint bonnet .. even for a little scratch or dent u do NOT mask it.. (i can show u pic tommorow why im sayin this exactly) u need to mask whole things around the bonnet, use newspapers and masking tape .. u know what i mean do ya ?
jrdn7

2nd Oct 12 at 00:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahh yeah I think I know what your on about. So just mask up whole panels to spray but not the tiny bit your spraying?

Not sure if it can be seen in the pics but there's a massive step where the masking tape used to be, so that's why I shouldn't have masked it so close?
csifku

2nd Oct 12 at 00:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jrdn7
Ahh yeah I think I know what your on about. So just mask up whole panels to spray but not the tiny bit your spraying?

Not sure if it can be seen in the pics but there's a massive step where the masking tape used to be, so that's why I shouldn't have masked it so close?

u dont need to mask it at all, u got a big edge that u can feel it with ur finger, thats not good at all i will show u moro what i done on my bonnet, i still dint re done it yet .. if u think it wouldnt be so much rust lol u can take out the back plastics with 10 mm ratchet and with T20 star key i think T20 is for the bumper, its only 7 screws, 4 under and 3 on the top to the door lock, and then mask it better and u wont be under stress if paint goin on the car or now cos its bloody hard to use T-cut and take whole paint u spray by mistake on the car or just wind blow it lol
jrdn7

2nd Oct 12 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm gonna polish it up soon with the machine so I don't think overspray will bother me, just on the window rubbers and windows themselves.

csifku - What did ya do with the bonnet?
csifku

2nd Oct 12 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I'm gonna polish it up soon with the machine so I don't think overspray will bother me, just on the window rubbers and windows themselves.

csifku - What did ya do with the bonnet?

u gonna re paint it or just polish the paint with T-cut ? If u just polish the paint then over spray will bother u, machine wont help, i just took photo of my bonnet, i will send it to u later on tonight ;?)
jrdn7

2nd Oct 12 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Naw obviously I'll sort out the overspray with T-Cut, or G3, to get rid of it then use Megs to polish it up.

Grand mate, post it up in here if ya want!
Jamie-C

2nd Oct 12 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Cheers for the offer Jamie mate, ya could come as far as letterkenny & get a lift down?

No

Don't have time to spend a day out your neck of the woods tbh, however if it was here I could pootle away at in the garage in my spare time

Give it go yourself. Your more than capable of doing it, just read a few guides, see how other people done it and give it a bash. You went wrong by masking off a small area.

Example, you've got an area on your bumper top that needs painted. Instead of masking a small square off on the bumper top, mask around the whole lot so your leaving the whole bumper top exposed. Mask everything else except the bumper top. Overspray is a cunt. Prep the whole lot, corner to corner but just apply the paint to the area that needs it, on your final coat you want to lightly flick it out to blend it in, then lacquer the whole lot

jrdn7

2nd Oct 12 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers lad! Aye that's my balls up, masking it too much. What about up by the wing, should I just mask the whole wing off?
Jamie-C

2nd Oct 12 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep, the whole wing , your going to need plenty of lacquer
jrdn7

2nd Oct 12 at 23:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haha I've loads of it in the garage, mainly for the gun tho. Do I lacquer the entire panel?
Jamie-C

2nd Oct 12 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep, lacquer the entire panel, makes it easier and the finish will be better. So the whole panel needs prepped, ie flattened down with wet 'n' dry.

Once your lacquer is hardened, any imperfections, orange pee,l specs of dirt etc can be flattened out with 2000grit wet and dry and buffed up with G3 to give a glass like finish

Give it a bash, what's the worst that can happen?
jrdn7

2nd Oct 12 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahh right, cheers lad! I'll prob be going over different parts of the car with G3 anyways so I might wait now till I get this done. Hopefully getting it done this weekend now!

Will have plenty of pics when it's done anyways, and plenty of questions on how to buff the paint up! hhaha
csifku

3rd Oct 12 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Naw obviously I'll sort out the overspray with T-Cut, or G3, to get rid of it then use Megs to polish it up.

Grand mate, post it up in here if ya want!

u can not sort it out with g3 or tcut, need to use 1200 or 1500 wet and dry sand paper and paint again without masking !
Jamie-C

3rd Oct 12 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't take overspray off with wet and dry Far to excessive! Use a clay bar.
jrdn7

3rd Oct 12 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I'd only take off the overspray with sandpaper if it was really bad, that's why I've a clay bar bought! Love the thing!
csifku

4th Oct 12 at 06:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie-C
Don't take overspray off with wet and dry Far to excessive! Use a clay bar.

if its a big edge that u can feel il it when u touch in it it would be shit to use a clay bar, better use a sand paper and do it again, better without edge
jrdn7

5th Nov 12 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, after a month of fucking about with illness, no money then lots of money and work I'm back to the car!

Met up with a friend on Friday night and bought a nice set of bucket seats (OMP RS I think) and 3in 4 point belts (Sabelt) for a massive bargin price! I got one seat straight away on friday night and I've the other one and the belts coming at the end of the week. Condition is quite good, few rips and tears but not too bad thankfully.

However, the seat won't sit in the shed, I'll certainly use it!

7.5kgs, quite light!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Irish Vauxhall Corsa SXi 23 database queries in 0.0198309 seconds