corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Bought new SSD for Macbook. What OSX Can i get?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bought new SSD for Macbook. What OSX Can i get?
jacko198

User status: Offline
5th Aug 12 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So my hard drive died on my Macbook. I have just bought a ssd from crucial for it.

Obviously i am going to have to install an OSX on to it. But which can i get away with installing?

Am i going to have to install my original OS off the disks i got with it, then update. Or can i go straight to a newer version?

Can you do a full install off an update disk?

In other words, what is the fastest and cheepest way to get to Mountain Lion?

I was only upto Leopard anyway but obviously want the latest!

Its a Macbook 13" 2.0ghz, 2gb ram (updated) Intel Core 2 Duo.

Sam
Premium Member

6th Aug 12 at 08:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could probably run Mountain Lion (the latest) at a push, Snow Leopard and Lion should run OK with your spec.

I'd recommended getting more RAM if you want to run Lion or Mountain Lion though.

Mountain Lion is £13.99 from the Mac App Store, dunno if you can buy it in a retail box or on a USB stick though.
Balling
Premium Member

6th Aug 12 at 09:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
I'd recommended getting more RAM if you want to run Lion or Mountain Lion though.

Why?

ed

6th Aug 12 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll be able to run Mountain Lion on it no problems - your MacBook is supported and it only requires 2GB of RAM to run it.

The only way to get hold of Mountain Lion is via the App Store.
Dom

6th Aug 12 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apple's distribution of OSX is a bit of a PITA now. But you'll need Snow Leopard 10.6.6 or Lion to use the App Store - so either nab 10.6 or use another OSX SL system to purchase ML. Once you have ML then you can burn it to DVD (http://eggfreckles.net/notes/installing-mountain-lion-clean/) or USB (http://osxdaily.com/2012/02/17/make-bootable-os-x-10-8-mountain-lion-usb-install-drive/).
Then do a clean install from either media.

Alternatively you'll need to either purchase Snow Leopard or Lion, neither available from the Apple store (but check out eBay; just make sure it's either a retail copy or suitable for your Mac), install, then purchase Mountain Lion and then update.

[Edited on 06-08-2012 by Dom]
Sam
Premium Member

6th Aug 12 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
Originally posted by Sam

Why?

Why not?
Balling
Premium Member

7th Aug 12 at 10:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, I'm not saying 4GB wouldn't be nice, I just thought that from a requirement standpoint 10.6 - 10.8 were basically the same? Might be mistaken, though.

Sam
Premium Member

7th Aug 12 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2GB is going to be the minimum requirement yes, but that's a bit like saying 512Mb or whatever is a minimum for Windows 7 but in reality we know it'll run like a pile of crap on such a low amount of RAM.

I recently repaired a C2D MBP for someone that had SL and 2GB RAM, multitasking wasn't particularly quick (beachballing a lot of the time etc.)
Balling
Premium Member

7th Aug 12 at 12:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Multitasking wasn't quick?

Again, I completely agree with 4GB being vastly better than 2GB.

However, my wife's MB is running completely same spec as above, all be it a Toshiba SSD, and for her use of Facebook, word processing and the occasional spreadsheet I really don't see the need for more RAM. I actually don't think she'd benefit from it at all.
It handles superbly as it is.

Balling
Premium Member

7th Aug 12 at 12:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, my initial questioning was aimed at the fact, that I thought you meant 10.6 was okay with 2GB but 10.7 or .8 wouldn't run with less than 4GB.

New Poll