corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Bose stuff

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bose stuff
Jambo

User status: Offline
14th Jul 12 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is this like Apple stuff in the sense that wherever you buy it from it is the same price?

Can't find Companion3 seriessII cheaper than £250.

John

14th Jul 12 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yip.
BarnshaW

14th Jul 12 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.hispek.com/bose/computer-speakers/bose-companion-3-multimedia-speaker-system-in-black-silver-pd-1865.php?utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=Froogle&utm_campaign=Froogle_Feed
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

14th Jul 12 at 19:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, similar price, not quite as bad as apple.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
evilrob
Premium Member

14th Jul 12 at 19:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Companion 5's are much better if you can stretch to £300ish, Focal XS Book and Audioengine A5+ moreso. The Bowers and Wilkins MM-1 are even better but they're nearer £400.

If £250 is definitely your budget, try and get a listen to some Epoz Aktimate Micro.
Jambo

14th Jul 12 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In what way are they better Rob? Genuine question. Power or quality?
Jambo

14th Jul 12 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Barny;

http://www.hispek.com/bose/computer-speakers/bose-companion-5-multimedia-speaker-system-in-black-silver-pd-1866.php
evilrob
Premium Member

14th Jul 12 at 19:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
In what way are they better Rob? Genuine question. Power or quality?

It's all subjective - probably best to have a listen yourself. Most Currys/PC World larger stores have both. They both have the slightly exaggerated "Bose" sound with the really pronounced midrange, wide soundstage, buttery biscuit bass and slightly artificial sounding treble. The 5's go louder (I couldn't get them to distort at all) and the treble was crisper in my opinion.

The 5's have a good party trick with movies of creating a 5.1-like sound from 2 speakers; it's pretty convincing (though obviously not as good as actually having 5 speakers).

The main thing to watch out for is that the 5's can only be used with a computer via USB as it has it's own DACs to bypass your sound card. The 3's have a standard 3.5mm audio cable so you can plug other stuff into it.

The "puck" is the same for both and really works very well - touch sensitive to turn on and off and really nice smooth volume control via a twisty motion.
evilrob
Premium Member

14th Jul 12 at 19:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The other ones I mention all sound "truer" with a more hi-fi/audiophile sound - I find the Bose sound fatiguing after a while, and complicated music with lots going on upsets them a bit.

Muse, for instance sounds terrible through Bose speakers.

Probably the best track in terms of "wow - that sounds real" I listened to on the Bose was Natasha Bedingfield's "Soulmate."

Not my favourite song or artist but that particular recording sound incredible on the Bose.
ed

14th Jul 12 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bose only let their suppliers sell stuff at certain prices. Anything significantly cheaper is likely to be from a non-authorised retailer. Apparently they send mystery shoppers round to make check up on their suppliers quite regularly.
Jambo

14th Jul 12 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Rob.

I'm no audiophile, but I have been to a Bose demonstration of a surround sound system with teenie tinie speakers and it sounded astounding. Seen a few reviews which seem awesome.

Im not after perfection, I just have some Dell jobs that are a bit poo. So I need to make it better, use the PC more and more as a stereo. I don't really watch movies on it, have a Bluray 5.1 surround for that. I think the winner for me would be the headphone jack. That means I can use them to play directly from an iPod or Phone etc. more handy. USB is not much good to me as I don't want to go upgrading sound cards or anything.

See if I can pick up a set
evilrob
Premium Member

14th Jul 12 at 21:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Cheers Rob.

I'm no audiophile, but I have been to a Bose demonstration of a surround sound system with teenie tinie speakers and it sounded astounding. Seen a few reviews which seem awesome.

The sound is very impressive for the size of speakers, I totally agree - you pay for it though!!

quote:
Im not after perfection, I just have some Dell jobs that are a bit poo. So I need to make it better

If you like the Bose sound, stick with your original plan - I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the Companion 3.

quote:
USB is not much good to me as I don't want to go upgrading sound cards or anything.

The point of the USB on the Companion 5 is so you don't need to upgrade your sound card - the digital to analogue conversion is all done inside the amp/subwoofer and this results in a better quality of sound - if you've got a cheapy sound card on onboard (built into your motherboard) you'll get interference and hiss and stuff at louder volumes where the USB connection would be crystal clear as the Companion 5 is essentially replacing the duties of the sound card with much better electronics.

The benefit of the 3.5mm on the Companion 3 is the ability to feed anything into it, and not be limited to only output from your computer.

[Edited on 14-07-2012 by evilrob]
Jambo

15th Jul 12 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interesting.

It would seem that the 5 is "better" choice. However I'm keen on the swappable convinience of a 3.5mm jack.

Want a bedside table alarm clock and dock so this will eat into that budget.

Actually more confused now
Jambo

24th Jul 12 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Listenes to some Companion3's today and was blown away. I think the 5 is what to go for but want to be true to my budget so might treat myself!
Jambo

25th Jul 12 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anyone recoemmend any alternatives? Evberyone keeps saying Bose are overpriced etc, but what else is there for £200 odd that sound that good and dont occupy that much space?
Dan
Premium Member

25th Jul 12 at 14:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I absolutely love my Bose soundlink. Wireless speaker. It's brilliant. Good sound, either Bluetooth or headphone style connector.

Can use on my laptop, IPad/iPhone etc and take it anywhere. Battery lasts ages. Well recommend it

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Gary
Premium Member

25th Jul 12 at 16:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
anyone recoemmend any alternatives? Evberyone keeps saying Bose are overpriced etc, but what else is there for £200 odd that sound that good and dont occupy that much space?

Basic Overpriced Sound Enclosure is a common thing thrown around by my DJ/sound tech mates.
Jambo

25th Jul 12 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So the alternative is.....
Gary
Premium Member

26th Jul 12 at 08:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just buy some decent creative jobbies if your only using them on your pc. I doubt you'd tell much difference

New Poll