corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » OUYA - Android Game Console

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author OUYA - Android Game Console
Balling
Premium Member

User status: Offline
28th Jun 13 at 10:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by evilrob
is unfair to review a developer preview box as though it were a finished product.
I'm guessing they sent it out for reviews, thus deeming it ready to be reviewed. Don't see anything unfair about it.

I also don't think that the potential to be better actually makes it any better.

A2H GO

28th Jun 13 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
quote:
Originally posted by Nath
You'd be all over it if it were Apple m8.

The whole world would be raving about it if it was apple.

It certainty wouldn't have scored 3.5
evilrob
Premium Member

28th Jun 13 at 12:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
is unfair to review a developer preview box as though it were a finished product.
I'm guessing they sent it out for reviews, thus deeming it ready to be reviewed. Don't see anything unfair about it.

No, they absolutely didn't send it out for review. They were really pissed off about it actually:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-04-05-ouya-responds-to-negative-reviews
http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/5/4189184/ouya-says-pre-release-console-not-ready-for-review

quote:
I also don't think that the potential to be better actually makes it any better.
What does this statement even mean?

[Edited on 28-06-2013 by evilrob]
Nath

28th Jun 13 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
quote:
Originally posted by Gary
quote:
Originally posted by Nath
You'd be all over it if it were Apple m8.

The whole world would be raving about it if it was apple.

It certainty wouldn't have scored 3.5

true enough
Balling
Premium Member

28th Jun 13 at 12:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
No, they absolutely didn't send it out for review. They were really pissed off about it actually:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-04-05-ouya-responds-to-negative-reviews
http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/5/4189184/ouya-says-pre-release-console-not-ready-for-review
I wasn't aware of that. In that case it's a dick move on the reviewers part and absolutely unfair, completely agree.

But why were they sending out preproduction models to customers in the first place? I might be missing something.

quote:
What does this statement even mean?
You were arguing against my statement that it sounds like a horrible device by saying it would be better. That might be the case, but that doesn't make it any better in its current state, does it?
Again, I didn't get that we were talking about a preproduction model, but it still sounds horrible from the description.

[Edited on 28-06-2013 by Balling]

evilrob
Premium Member

28th Jun 13 at 12:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
why were they sending out preproduction models to customers in the first place? I might be missing something.

This product came about through Kickstarter. The people that got their units earlier in the year were those that signed up as developers for the platform. So the unit that was reviewed by the Verge was intended for developers to start getting to grips with it and bash out some software.

I backed the project as a normal consumer, not a developer - mine still hasn't turned up yet! I backed the project because I like the ethos, even if this version of the hardware sucks, I applaud the vision to allow independent developers to get their games on the television without having to give Sony or Microsoft (or Nintendo to a lesser extent) thousands for a dev kit / license /etc.
Gary
Premium Member

28th Jun 13 at 12:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agreed
Balling
Premium Member

28th Jun 13 at 13:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
This product came about through Kickstarter. The people that got their units earlier in the year were those that signed up as developers for the platform. So the unit that was reviewed by the Verge was intended for developers to start getting to grips with it and bash out some software.

I backed the project as a normal consumer, not a developer - mine still hasn't turned up yet! I backed the project because I like the ethos, even if this version of the hardware sucks, I applaud the vision to allow independent developers to get their games on the television without having to give Sony or Microsoft (or Nintendo to a lesser extent) thousands for a dev kit / license /etc.
That makes the preproduction models make sense then, thanks for clearing that up.

While your backing is noble I'm sorry to say I also find it a bit naive.
The whole situation reminds me of the issues surrounding the PS eye for PS4.

Also, it's worth mentioning that Sony are working actively to accomodate the needs of indie developers:
http://gamer.blorge.com/2013/02/23/indie-devs-flock-to-ps4-to-self-publish-how-the-witness-became-ps4-exclusive/

evilrob
Premium Member

28th Jun 13 at 13:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can't go around calling people naive because they choose to give money to causes they agree with, even if it's likely to fail.

I also give money to cancer research charities - which probably won't succeed in curing the disease in my lifetime - is this also naive?

A year ago, when I backed this, Sony were not so embracing of indie developers. I wonder if the initial outpouring of support for Ouya has turned their hand a little / opened their eyes to the demand in this respect - in which case my $99 has done some good. You're welcome.

[Edited on 28-06-2013 by evilrob]
Balling
Premium Member

28th Jun 13 at 16:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
You can't go around calling people naive because they choose to give money to causes they agree with, even if it's likely to fail.
Of course I can, absolutely. Just like you can call me a pessimist for not believing in it. Which to be fair, I probably very much am.

Either way I didn't mean it as an insult. Optimism and naivety often go hand in hand and I don't think we would evolve much without either, so again, kudos for backing something you believe in.
quote:
I also give money to cancer research charities - which probably won't succeed in curing the disease in my lifetime - is this also naive?
Did you just compare cancer research with a commercial product? An entertainment system?
quote:
A year ago, when I backed this, Sony were not so embracing of indie developers. I wonder if the initial outpouring of support for Ouya has turned their hand a little / opened their eyes to the demand in this respect - in which case my $99 has done some good. You're welcome.
I can't deny there could be some truth in this. Personally I think it's more to do with the success of smartphones as gaming platforms (which the OUYA is also a child off), but thanks anyway for having everyones back.

I hope you don't take this as me trying to piss on your parade, which I get the feeling you do.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll