corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » MDM - mainly iOS devices

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author MDM - mainly iOS devices
pow
Premium Member

User status: Offline
6th Jul 12 at 11:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After seeing the shocking state of what the kids do with our iPads at work (I've just taken on looking after them after my colleauge has gone off on peternity leave), I want to look into Mobile Device Management (MDM) for them.

Anyone have any experience? Dom, Willay, VRSTurbo?
ed

6th Jul 12 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is what you need:

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/id434433123?mt=8&src=af&affId=2064962&ign-mpt=uo%3D6

I've no experience in it though so can't actually help.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

6th Jul 12 at 11:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All depends on what you want to achieve. Reporting? Usage? blocking certain things?

pow
Premium Member

6th Jul 12 at 12:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No it isn't Ed as 1. I don't have a Mac and 2. I need to use more than 30 devices and 3. I want it OTA

VRSTurbo - deploying apps and blocking things mainly, not bothered by usage (we get feedback from staff about that).

[Edited on 06-07-2012 by pow]
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

6th Jul 12 at 12:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going to struggle tbh!
Dom

6th Jul 12 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're dealing with a handful of devices then go with Ed's option of Apple Configurator as it's free. Otherwise if you have a fair number of devices then i'd look at a OTA MDM, something like Tarmac/Zenprise/Casper Suite/Maas 360/Airwatch/Meraki - prices vary drastically though and obviously i'd trial a few systems.
I believe Microsoft System Center 2012 also support MDM.

I briefly looked into this a year or so back and the big issue i had was if the MDM used profiles then a user could potentially delete the profile and the device could be wiped. Not sure if Apple have corrected it since.
Dom

6th Jul 12 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
Going to struggle tbh!

How? Most MDM's cover Pow's specifications

Pow - Also note, if you're using profile based MDM's (some use an app-agent) then you'll need to grab a MDM certificate from Apple.
And iirc (could be wrong), i think John did a MDM rollout a while back for iOS at his place.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

6th Jul 12 at 12:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Schools generally don't like to spend vast amount of money on doing stuff like this so yes he is going to struggle.
Dom

6th Jul 12 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
Schools generally don't like to spend vast amount of money on doing stuff like this so yes he is going to struggle.

True but it depends on the school/college. Although having worked in number of schools in the past, if the department has the budget spare then you can spend it on what ever; it's only when you have to grovel to the superiors for more that you have issues.

As said though prices vary, so it's worth doing your homework. Certainly a lot of the 'cloud' based MDM's i was looking at were roughly £2 per device per month.

[Edited on 06-07-2012 by Dom]
John

6th Jul 12 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've not done any MDM stuff, pain to support these remotely just now, be interested to hear what you come up with.
pow
Premium Member

6th Jul 12 at 12:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there nothing free knocking around?

Getting an MDM cert from Apple isn't an issue as we are registered as an Apple developer
Dom

6th Jul 12 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Is there nothing free knocking around?

Getting an MDM cert from Apple isn't an issue as we are registered as an Apple developer

Have a look at Meraki, iirc they do a free product although you might have to register and administrate each device individually. But when i looked at it in the past, it looked like utter turd and no way near as good as some of the others.

But apart from Apple Config. (which you could use on a OSX VM) then you haven't many choices if you're after free. You might have better luck asking on http://www.enterpriseios.com forums though.

[Edited on 06-07-2012 by Dom]
pow
Premium Member

6th Jul 12 at 13:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They're all so bastard expensive.
pow
Premium Member

6th Jul 12 at 13:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Change of plan, I'll hackintosh a netbook for it.
Dom

6th Jul 12 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Change of plan, I'll hackintosh a netbook for it.

Could just virtualbox it (worse case you'll need the iBoot bootdisc)?
pow
Premium Member

6th Jul 12 at 13:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't find an ISO... not my day is it

[Edited on 06-07-2012 by pow]

New Poll