corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Verizon Wireless announce total change of mobile phone data plans

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Verizon Wireless announce total change of mobile phone data plans
Robbo

User status: Offline
14th Jun 12 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Verizon Wireless announced a fundamental change in the way it charges consumers for voice and data calls, a move that is likely to have far-reaching implications for the mobile industry.

The company will abandon its monthly voice and data plans in favour of “Share Everything” plans that emphasise data usage over voice minutes.

The move positions Verizon Wireless, and other operators that are likely to follow suit, to abandon the distinction between voice and data calls as voice becomes simply another application running over their 4G networks.

The new plans, which will be introduced on June 28 for new monthly subscribers, feature unlimited voice and SMS messaging and metered monthly data allowances that can be shared by up to 10 devices.

A new smartphone subscriber, for example, would pay a monthly access fee of $40 that includes unlimited calls and texts, and a fee of $60 for two gigabytes of data that could be shared between devices.

Each additional device would also pay a monthly access tariff of $10 for a PC tablet or $20 for a laptop.

Essentially intended to put a floor on voice and text revenue and drive further data rveenue by increased family smartphone and, esp, tablet revenue. US only, but EU operators likely to follow

Can provide more details if anyone is interested
bubble

14th Jun 12 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Vodafone done this for years already with EBU. Shared tariffs across upto 100 ctns iirc.
Robbo

14th Jun 12 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes of course, commonplace in the business ector but the first time tis been attempted in consumer services
noshua

14th Jun 12 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Needed to happen a long time ago in the UK, data limits on mobile phones are a joke, when 4G finally comes I can see this being implemented here.
bubble

14th Jun 12 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Be interesting to see how it takes off here as consumer ws normally ctns with separate bens on the bans.
Rob_Quads

14th Jun 12 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by noshua
Needed to happen a long time ago in the UK, data limits on mobile phones are a joke, when 4G finally comes I can see this being implemented here.

You do realise as a consumer its very unlikely your going to be getting any more MB for your money. They are not going to change the pricing model so you now get twice as much data.
dannymccann

14th Jun 12 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How will this affect me? Atm I struggle to get 3G in Lincoln city centre, let alone HSDPA or even better, 4G
Sam
Premium Member

14th Jun 12 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bubble
Be interesting to see how it takes off here as consumer ws normally ctns with separate bens on the bans.

LOLWUT?!
John

14th Jun 12 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He does that all the time.

Figures don't look very good to me, certainly not any better than what's available now.
Rob_Quads

15th Jun 12 at 08:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think the idea of having family plans is a good one although I can see when it involves childen that you could run into some problems. You almost need a family plan but still be able to restrict it per user otherwise son/daughter will spank it all on youtube
bubble

15th Jun 12 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
He does that all the time.

Figures don't look very good to me, certainly not any better than what's available now.

Yes John. I do that all the time. Out of the 6000 or so posts, nearly everyone of them has abbreviations in that only a select few people understand. Get a grip.
John

15th Jun 12 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You do it deliberately because you think people won't understand them though.

We've had the same conversation more than once.
bubble

15th Jun 12 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
quote:
Originally posted by bubble

LOLWUT?!

Sorry Sam I do that all the time apparently.

As robbo knew what I would be talking about it was easier to use abbreviated names as he would understand them. I was saying it would be interesting how it works as normal ctns (consumer telephone numbers) have their own bens (billing entity numbers) on the bans (billing account numbers) so my point was its unlikely that a family of say 5 people would be happy to all pay a fee to gain access to data when the chances are someone in the family may use more than someone else. As it stands now with billing systems, you can have one account, with multiple numbers on, and assign different payment info to each number through use of a ben. When it comes to a share plan, like the new VZW plans it's split into fees, so not entirely fair for usage reasons.
bubble

15th Jun 12 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
You do it deliberately because you think people won't understand them though.

We've had the same conversation more than once.

As it was robbo who I was talking too, it made no difference.

New Poll