corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » JOM coilovers ?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author JOM coilovers ?
Sunz

User status: Offline
5th Jun 12 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone ever used these on their car ?

How would you rate them if so ?

Example - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Corsa-B-93-01-JOM-Coilovers-741002-/360375462699?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53e80d2b2b#ht_3420wt_932

My Megane sits pretty high so looked for some coilovers but unless I want to pay around £500 these JOM ones are the only cheaper option, don't want to run shorter springs on the normal shocks.

Thanks.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

5th Jun 12 at 11:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you don't want to pay £500 for coilovers, buy shocks and springs, don't buy brand new coilovers for £179. There's a reason they're so cheap.
Nic Barnes

5th Jun 12 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends mike, if you're a street and town dwelling normal road driver non track elite they will do the job of lowering the car no problems. IMHO.
kennySRi

5th Jun 12 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree with Nic. I've had cheap coilovers before and have been totally fine for road use. I've tried hottuning, fk and jamex and have all been decent enough.
Mike
Premium Member

5th Jun 12 at 11:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With a bearable ride? I was talking to Adam (Edges58) at the weekend, the previous owner of his BMW thought it was a good idea to buy £150 coilovers which Adam is now replacing because they're crap and Adam is a street dwelling normal road driver.

If I wanted a road car lowering now, from past experience, I'd be going Bilstein shocks and springs, it's what I have on the Corsa, they're no good for track but when they were on my old Corsa I was doing 20k a year on the road and they were great.

[Edited on 05-06-2012 by Mike]
Mieran

5th Jun 12 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

These are pretty decent tbf and can be lived with.

Racelands on the other hand are no go because of shocking ride quality.
Edges 58

5th Jun 12 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
With a bearable ride? I was talking to Adam (Edges58) at the weekend, the previous owner of his BMW thought it was a good idea to buy £150 coilovers which Adam is now replacing because they're crap and Adam is a street dwelling normal road driver.

If I wanted a road car lowering now, from past experience, I'd be going Bilstein shocks and springs, it's what I have on the Corsa, they're no good for track but when they were on my old Corsa I was doing 20k a year on the road and they were great.

I was just about to mention the ones on the bimmer Mike The ride quality is ok if your on a smooth road in traffic doing upto 10mph........ any sort of bump feels horrible and there really isn't much grip at all.......... could also be down to the fact the previous owner also fitted budget tyres on 9.5" wide wheels..... but the coilovers are too impressive.

As for me being a street dwelling normal road user..... you haven't seen me on the road Mike I do push the car a fair bit but not too much at the corners right now as i have no confidence in the grip
Mike
Premium Member

5th Jun 12 at 11:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shh, I was trying to get a point across
Edges 58

5th Jun 12 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haha yeah i think we made that point..... lol
Linch

5th Jun 12 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The way I felt when I changed the suspension on my e46 was, BMW Put alot of testing into there chassis and suspention design, test them and make them into a already brilliant handling car, so there is no way on gods earth a set of eBay Coilovers would be replacing that. Only Bilstein would be going on my 8k Possibly + car.
Corsa_Sport21

5th Jun 12 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I fitted a set of Hottuning coilovers to my old mk4 Astra, and swiftly removed them the next day. The ride was shocking.

But, my old Polo GTi had JOM coilovers fitted and the ride was surprisingly good. It never pissed me off anyway and i hate driving a car that is crashy and bouncy.

I think a big part of it comes down to the car they are fitted to. Can the shockies support the weight of heavier cars etc??
Nic Barnes

5th Jun 12 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just think too many replies are people trying to be race cars, which the person wanting cheaper coil overs is never going to be. Just want it to look a bit lower round the towns.
kennySRi

5th Jun 12 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mike

I have Jamex on my bmw at the moment and i am more than happy with them. The ride is very good actually and im not looking to upgrade them at all yet.
Edges 58

5th Jun 12 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
I just think too many replies are people trying to be race cars, which the person wanting cheaper coil overs is never going to be. Just want it to look a bit lower round the towns.

There's one thing wanting it to be like a race car, then there's just wanting a good ride quality without the back end always wanting to overtake the front
Sunz

5th Jun 12 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The JOM's for the Megane ll are £250 so is quite a bit if they are crap.

It's a 1200kg diesel, I drive it slowly and just cruise around, probably do 5000 miles a year maximum.

Mixed reviews really about budget coilovers.

As it is now there is a huge gap between the 16inch wheels with 55 profile tyres on, it's not too bad with road humps and general town driving, thought maybe lowering it properly on those JOM's would give it a better look and make it more stiff with a lower centre of gravity.

[Edited on 05-06-2012 by Sunz]
Mike
Premium Member

5th Jun 12 at 11:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
I fitted a set of Hottuning coilovers to my old mk4 Astra, and swiftly removed them the next day. The ride was shocking.

But, my old Polo GTi had JOM coilovers fitted and the ride was surprisingly good. It never pissed me off anyway and i hate driving a car that is crashy and bouncy.

I think a big part of it comes down to the car they are fitted to. Can the shockies support the weight of heavier cars etc??

This is my thinking tbh, it's a gamble. The big names cost more, because they've researched what each car needs from its suspension and that research/knowledge is what costs, with the cheap ones, they haven't researched or if they have, not as much, it just happens that some cars have the right weight for them to work properly but if yours doesn't then it won't ride properly and you'll be buying again.
jimmy 2.1

5th Jun 12 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got them on my E36 BMW. They do a pretty good job of getting a car low and tbh the ride isn't any worse than I've had from running Spax RSX in the past. They do need some care though as the paint finish on the springs and the threads isn't great. Loads of copper slip helps this though.

[Edited on 05-06-2012 by jimmy 2.1]

[Edited on 05-06-2012 by jimmy 2.1]
3i_gaz

5th Jun 12 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There fine for the money. Do what they say on the tin.
LeeM

5th Jun 12 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sunz
Anyone ever used these on their car ?

How would you rate them if so ?

Example - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Corsa-B-93-01-JOM-Coilovers-741002-/360375462699?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53e80d2b2b#ht_3420wt_932

My Megane sits pretty high so looked for some coilovers but unless I want to pay around £500 these JOM ones are the only cheaper option, don't want to run shorter springs on the normal shocks.

Thanks.

Why don't you want to run shorter springs on standard shocks? If you mention ride quality then stop looking at cheap shite coilovers
L3W15

5th Jun 12 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had these on my corsa the fronts are okay abit soft though and the backs only go to 60 mm if i was you i'd save for some good ones. Could probly get some second hand decent ones for the same price
smcGSI16V

5th Jun 12 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would rather have a decent set of branded shocks and springs which have had some decent reviews and testing than some cheap arsed eBay special coilovers made using cheap materials and minimal testing.
dewismotorsport

5th Jun 12 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a set on my Astra coupe and I can't fault them tbh not too hard a bit like OEM+ they come with a 2 year warranty and are tuv approved
Sunz

5th Jun 12 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM

Why don't you want to run shorter springs on standard shocks? If you mention ride quality then stop looking at cheap shite coilovers

Because I have shocks with 77,000 miles on them, don't really want to be editing their travel range now, from what I read about it, fitting shortened springs on standard suspension can cause it's own problems.

I don't think the ride quality would be any good on shorter springs with standard shocks, handling maybe but not the ride quality.
taylorboosh

5th Jun 12 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they are fine, just buy the fuckers, had about 4 sets now with no issues.. not the greatest ride in the world but not the worst, no cheaper or easier way to slam a car...

on the m3 forum £700 coilies are considered budget.. people with way too much money who live in the fucking clouds..

also- your wheels are still shit
Steve
Premium Member

5th Jun 12 at 20:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I fitted some to a mates golf mk4 decent for the money tbh.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » JOM coilovers ? 22 database queries in 0.1952300 seconds