corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » BMW Z4 3.0i and Fiesta ST-3. - Interior refresh.

New Poll
  <<  129    130    131    132    133    134    135  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author BMW Z4 3.0i and Fiesta ST-3. - Interior refresh.
Ben G

User status: Offline
14th Mar 16 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers all yeah, weathers finally turned for the better. Just a shame my sunglasses broke so I can't actually.get the roof down to enjoy it
MatthewR

14th Mar 16 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why dont u put hat & scarff on like all the bmw convertible cunts round my way do lol
Ben G

14th Mar 16 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Saw someone do that yesterday most I would ever do is put a coat on. I understand it's lovely to get the roof down on a cold but sunny day, but there's no need to look like a knob whilst doing it
Ben G

26th Mar 16 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a free day so decided to do a couple of jobs I kept putting off.

Firstly, last year I opened up one headlight and removed the mirror tint film covering the orange glass domes inside. This brings some colour back to an otherwise monochrome looking front end.

Anyway, I never actually did the same to the passenger headlight at the time, so they never matched. So today, I set about removing and opening the lamp up.

Familiar sight:

Much easier doing this in a garage. Makes a big difference to morale

I also set about giving the calipers a coat of paint as they were chipped, showing off the chav coat underneath. Much fresher now. I'm aware I slightly painted the pad sensor wire. I was rushing as it was getting late and caught it. Doesn't matter though.

[Edited on 26-03-2016 by Ben G]
Ben G

8th Apr 16 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So yeah, kerbed a wheel, red hood has broken (fabric failure)...Not a great start to the month.

On the plus side, I bought these badboys when ebay had a 20% off promotion. 12mm and 20mm Sparco hubcentric spacers.

They have an extra hole and bolt that holds them firmly on the brake disc, making it much easier to align and bolt the wheels after fitting.

Only problem is the front disc bolts were too long, and the standard bolt too short, so need to buy some bolts which fit.

Looks so much better now. No adverse handling from what I can tell, although electric power steering gives absolutely no feedback whatsoever. The wheels without spacers are buried in the arches, so it's a much needed mod if running standard alloys.

Before:

After 12mm spacers:

[Edited on 08-04-2016 by Ben G]
Nic Barnes

8th Apr 16 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How does it feel to drive? They say spacing the wheels out on the golf makes it handle and feel loads better. It already handles amazing but I'm going to try it
Ben G

8th Apr 16 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't really tell any difference tbh. I always had 20 or 25mm spacers on the back and if anything, it perhaps felt a bit better around the twisties.

Haven't driven in anger with the fronts on, but it drives the same as before on my commute to work, with the added bonus of the wheels not looking lost in the arches.

[Edited on 08-04-2016 by Ben G]
Steve
Premium Member

9th Apr 16 at 08:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
How does it feel to drive? They say spacing the wheels out on the golf makes it handle and feel loads better. It already handles amazing but I'm going to try it

It won't.

Car suspension design is a precise art. Altering geometry like this leads to changed scrub radius and also can deaden return to center.

Cars with wider track to be affective need all of it changed. Arms shafts etc.

Hence why the racing pumas have bespoke lower arms and longer driveshafts not just some spacers bolted on.

Steve
Premium Member

9th Apr 16 at 08:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just talking about the steered wheels by the way. The back with a fixed axle less so
Ben G

9th Apr 16 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would it affect the return to centre steering, Steve? Only asking as it feels like it takes slightly more turn of the steering wheel than usual when going around bends.
Nic Barnes

9th Apr 16 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
quote:

It won't.

Car suspension design is a precise art. Altering geometry like this leads to changed scrub radius and also can deaden return to center.

Hence why the racing pumas have bespoke lower arms and longer driveshafts not just some spacers bolted on.

ok I think I will believe venom motorsport who sell the spacers as they know what they are talking about.

[Edited on 09-04-2016 by Nic Barnes]
Ben G

9th Apr 16 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steve
Premium Member

9th Apr 16 at 09:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve
quote:

It won't.

ok I think I will believe venom motorsport who sell the spacers as they know what they are talking about.

[Edited on 09-04-2016 by Nic Barnes]

Same venom motoraport that sold me Eibach spacers for the puma then.

Felt terrible
Steve
Premium Member

9th Apr 16 at 10:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Problem is the scene kids will tell you having their wheels pointing out at 45 degrees makes it handle better and that a smoothed airbox makes the car feel more repaonsive

[Edited on 09-04-2016 by Steve]
Nic Barnes

9th Apr 16 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stance+
--ToM--

9th Apr 16 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm running 20mm rear and 12mm front spacers on mine deffo makes a huge difference to handling and drive ability nic
BeetleGav

9th Apr 16 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get it spaced properly

Ben G

9th Apr 16 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As in making it impossible le to drive properly, Gav?
BeetleGav

9th Apr 16 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Drives great actually

They fair poke when aired up

[Edited on 09-04-2016 by BeetleGav]
Ben G

10th Apr 16 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's higher than mine
Steve
Premium Member

10th Apr 16 at 11:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seriously someone should email VW and tell them by adding 12mm spacers they will massively improve the cars handling and driveability.

If any of you lot did some research into steering angles, camber, castor and scrub radius you would realise what shit you were talking and how much you are kidding yourselves.

Because I wasnt quite satisfied with what Shane with the top knot off the forums told me, I learnt more in one afternoon of reading various tech articles on it then what anyone off a forum told me when my puma didnt feel quite right after it. Or maybe I was just a one off because everyone on the puma forums swore it made the car "massively better" too.

Steve
Premium Member

10th Apr 16 at 11:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And do prey tell, what are these highly accurate test conditions you are basing these claims on? taking it down the public road and booting it round the roundabout? thats a whole lot of lol wow right there
Ojc

10th Apr 16 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It makes me cringe when people add spacers to a 197/200, arguably the best handling hot hatch and go and mess around with it with shit spacers.
Ben G

10th Apr 16 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steve, I never said they improved the driveability of the car at all, so untwist your knickers, boy.

The only reason I added spacers was for cosmetic reasons, nothing else. As long as it didn't make the car awful the drive, I was happy. I'm not looking to improve handling. If I did, I'd have new suspension instead of a new roof.

[Edited on 10-04-2016 by Ben G]
Steve
Premium Member

10th Apr 16 at 12:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wasn't aimed at u blud

<<  129    130    131    132    133    134    135  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » BMW Z4 3.0i and Fiesta ST-3. - Interior refresh. 23 database queries in 0.2353480 seconds