corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Some "behind the scenes" stuff from Polished Bliss - Enzo content.

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Some "behind the scenes" stuff from Polished Bliss - Enzo content.
BluKoo

User status: Offline
9th Apr 12 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Actually, I think it just clicked. Someone found a load of money in their aunties loft or something wasn't it?

I thought you were referring to me when I found £18,000 in a box next to my bin
http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=424121&page=1

[Edited on 09-04-2012 by BluKoo]
taylorboosh

9th Apr 12 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I never seen that... But yes the loft
BluKoo

9th Apr 12 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well it was nearly 3 years and 363 days ago

Wow it doesn't feel that long ago. Crazy.
taylorboosh

9th Apr 12 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wish my dad had £18k to lend me
BluKoo

10th Apr 12 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quick picture update this morning, and a more in-depth post about changing colour balance to come this afternoon. This is what we are doing right now...

This is the last of a series of left to right sliding shots that will showcase all of the compounding work in the video. The refining stage will shot using a static tripod, but using much shorter clips, much like what we did with the wash stage footage earlier on.
Baskey

10th Apr 12 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whilst i love car cleaning threads I find ones like these quite boring, the car seems clean enough already so it seems like it's detailing just for the sake of detailing, or in this instance as a photography excersise (which I have no interest in)

I much prefer the ones they do where they take a tired / unloved car and do a full detail so you see a total transformation, like the m5 that they did.
BarnshaW

10th Apr 12 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all I can say is that its being taken to another level of analism

I mean really come on, look at all these cameras and software for music and stuff, its a glorified car wash IMO.
3CorsaMeal

10th Apr 12 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

end of the day its a ferrari and a load of waffle
BarnshaW

10th Apr 12 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

imagine if your standard office cleaners started making project threads and editing abba over detailing office desks.
3CorsaMeal

10th Apr 12 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So who is the person taking photos of the person taking photos of the person cleaning the car?

I think he should start a blog about being that person
Sunz

10th Apr 12 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
So who is the person taking photos of the person taking photos of the person cleaning the car?

It's xzibit.

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
all I can say is that its being taken to another level of analism

I mean really come on, look at all these cameras and software for music and stuff, its a glorified car wash IMO.

I agree. Not my thing at all, cleaning the cars in high detail is fine but adding all this software and cameras etc just a bit cringe worthy for me.
M16KE B

10th Apr 12 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For me all, this effort and over the top video / camera/ music editing stuff would have been SO much more worthwhile if the car being used was something like a tired Lotus Carlton or even an old 911 or something with a bit of character that would actually showcase some sort of transformation.

[Edited on 10-04-2012 by M16KE B]
Steve
Premium Member

10th Apr 12 at 14:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matt L
but the whole detailing world is just getting way too anal now.

This, and it will get to a point soon where noone gives a fuck anymore, then all this detailing shite will fizzle out

As soon as the internet doesnt care people will no longer find a motivator for doing it when the only people they can show is there mates who probably dont give a fuck how deep the paint is
ed

10th Apr 12 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are they not making a promotional video of some sorts? Or is it all being done for a lol?
BluKoo

10th Apr 12 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Are they not making a promotional video of some sorts? Or is it all being done for a lol?

Yeah, they are making an instructional/promotional video. It's not just being done for the sake of it.

Plus it's not every day they have an Enzo in, so they're making the most of it and doing things as professionally as they can.
When the company prides themselves in perfection and excellence then why do a job half assed?

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal

My brother is the one doing the detailing, and Rich is the one taking the photos. However he's not taking photos of someone taking photos. He's taking pictures of his set up as this is a "behind the scenes" style thread.
It's all very simple to understand really.

[Edited on 10-04-2012 by BluKoo]
ed

10th Apr 12 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Explains exactly why effort is being put into it. It's not like you'd film a promotional video on your iPhone and slap it together in Windows Movie Maker is it. I guess that's a challenging concept for some.
BluKoo

10th Apr 12 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Explains exactly why effort is being put into it. It's not like you'd film a promotional video on your iPhone and slap it together in Windows Movie Maker is it. I guess that's a challenging concept for some.

Remember what I said about colour balance and the need to use a custom white balance tool way back at the start of this thread? Well, here’s some graphical proof for you that colour balance changes all the time with location and lighting types. This is how a plain sheet of 18% grey card looked in our studio on day 2 of the detail, when snow was blocking the skylights and the only source of light was the array of overhead fluorescent tubes (which are supposedly daylight balanced)...

As you can see, the grey looks quite cool, with almost a blue-ish tinge to it – if you didn’t measure and compensate for this, then your lovely red Enzo is going to look cold and washed out on camera. On day 3, the snow all melted and the sun came out, which warmed up the colour balance in the studio a lot, making the Enzo look much richer. You can clearly see now that the 18% grey card looks warmer, with a definite hint of red...

On day 4 the sun went into hiding and hasn’t come back since, and dull overcast conditions gave a white balance reading that can be best described as neutral, without any real hint of blue or red. These conditions are closest to what the Expodisc custom white balance tool sets for the camera, meaning that colours are very honestly captured.

Finally, working in pitch black conditions (midnight, with all the studio lights switched off) and with just the 3M Sun Gun being used to illuminate defects, we get an even more extreme colour balance reading off the 18% grey card, with a definite hint of yellow (meaning the Sun Gun is close to the sunny day reading shown above, but with more yellow light thrown in)...

All of the above clearly shows that while our human eyes adapt almost instantly to changing colour balance (to the point that we almost don’t ever notice it), digital cameras are different, and must be setup properly every time location or lighting changes, if colours are to be captured accurately and honestly. Otherwise your lovely red Enzo is going to appear to slightly change colour hundreds of times through your video!

[Edited on 10-04-2012 by BluKoo]
BluKoo

11th Apr 12 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Today's update... I'll keep it brief as we've still got a lot to do, but Clark is now working his way around the car, refining the finish with a mix of DA and rotary use depending on the panel and/or ease of access. We've got some cracking shots of him working in ridiculously tight spots, but we're going to save them for the video!

Meanwhile, in between filming sessions I've been continuing with the editing, and I now half over half the video completely finished! This is what my screen in Premiere Pro now looks like...

The two side by side images at the top show what can be achieved in terms of colour correction when you make a mistake setting your exposure and/or white balance (in this case I mucked up both - that'll teach me for filming it on a Saturday afternoon when I should have been home with my feet up).
BluKoo

12th Apr 12 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chuffed to bits! With the refining finished last night, Clark spent the first few hours of the morning polishing the carbon fibre door shuts and the insides of the doors themselves. Whilst he did this, I set up a rather ambitious attempt at making the waxing stage look more interesting...

The idea I had was to film a short time-lapse sequence as done previously in our Desire product demo video, but this time to add movement to the shot by pulling back from an initial close up to a whole car field of view by the end of the shot. This had to be achieved using our fully motorised dolly, as adding a digital zoom in editing was out of the question due to the camera having a maximum resolution the same as the desired output for full HD viewing on the web (1920 x 1080 pixels). Thus, to cut a long story short, I was going to need to slide back up the dolly rail extremely slowly, as this would then look like a normal speed move once the footage was sped up to give the time-lapse effect. In order to achieve this, I had to swap the usual normal live view speed motor for an ultra slow motor designed specifically for time-lapse shots...

It also meant a little bit of trial and error to set the speed just right, not only to get enough footage for the final shot, but also to ensure Clark was able to complete a set amount of waxing in the time taken from the close up start through to the whole car shot at the end of the sequence. Fortunately it all worked out perfectly, and we've nailed another pair of very cool shots. Here is a peep at my viewfinder at the end of one of the shots...

And a quick peep at the angle used for the second shot...

...our studio looks bigger than usual for some reason?! From now until the end of the detail we're going to be working flat out, as there are lots of tiny details to film, plus a whole bunch of after shots (both stills and video). I'll do my best to post brief updates throughout.
BluKoo

14th Apr 12 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some image updates for you... no particular order, as we're just finishing up all of the exterior details:

The clip of video we captured of Clark polishing the rear lights looks neat...

and at long last they have now been refitted (bit of a fiddly job)...

A little bit of extra daylight balanced lighting was required for the shot of the exhaust tips being polished (and will be used for the interior work too)...

The next job is this - where do we start!

Meanwhile, the view from my office as I write this is much redder than before...

John

14th Apr 12 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

View from his office is much more blown out and saturated than before.
RS6

14th Apr 12 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i respect the work

i would love my car to have the same attention this car is having

end of the day if it steps out in the rain all the good work is over it looks a mess again
John

14th Apr 12 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It doesn't, it's got a nice layer of protection on it and it's easy to wash. I can't see the Enzo being car of choice on a bad day either.
BluKoo

15th Apr 12 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quick update. If this looks tight on screen it was tighter in the flesh - knees were killing me setting this shot up (sorry for the poor quality, was shooting on the iPhone from a similarly tight spot jammed up against the wall!)...

This one was a lot easier, and marked the completion of the engine bay work...

And finally, what better thing to do on a Saturday afternoon than send your camera through an Enzo to get that all important 'what it looks like from the drivers seat' shot...

I was sitting here at my desk around half nine last night, thoroughly miserable and hacked off, due to a combination of tiredness and having to wait ages for all of my batteries to recharge, plus the knowledge that I had many hours of work to go until I could go home (eventually got there, just after 4am). Then I received a lovely text from a good friend of mine, who had just read this blog from start to finish and rather enjoyed it, and this cheered me up a lot (Martin, you're a legend, thanks buddy). And wouldn't you know it, the battery charging lights then turned green and something wonderful happened...

Aside from part two of the 'how to set your Canon DSLR up for video' post I promised yesterday, that's me done - I've shown as much as I'm willing to, the rest I'm saving for the final video and Clark's monster write up. I've been blown away by the response to this thread, so thank you very much if you've read it and commented - your support is much appreciated. Righty, I'm off to do some more editing (I'll pop back on later today with the video shooting post).

[Edited on 15-04-2012 by BluKoo]
Ste
Premium Member

15th Apr 12 at 17:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How many shots from the sun gun to kill a man?

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Some "behind the scenes" stuff from Polished Bliss - Enzo content. 23 database queries in 0.1904309 seconds