corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Some "behind the scenes" stuff from Polished Bliss - Enzo content.

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Some "behind the scenes" stuff from Polished Bliss - Enzo content.
JordyCarter

User status: Offline
4th Apr 12 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats wrong with the good old 2 bucket method?

[Edited on 04-04-2012 by JordyCarter]
pow
Premium Member

4th Apr 12 at 12:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

'Verbose'
BluKoo

4th Apr 12 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This thread isn't about the detailing.
It's about Rich, who's is an amateur photographer/cameraman who's trying to improve his skills and produce better quality videos. Along the way he's showing you what he does...

I've posted some of his videos in the past and if you'll remember they're instructional videos, so they're just trying to provide a service.

Some people are hard to please

For those who haven't seen; here is an example of the videos they produce: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqQWmSpbb4c

[Edited on 04-04-2012 by BluKoo]
BarnshaW

4th Apr 12 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

agreed as per above, its laughable , awesome machine though
BluKoo

4th Apr 12 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Battery grip indoors

What's wrong with a battery grip indoors?
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Apr 12 at 14:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just not necessary if you have the means to charge and swap batteries. He likes a heavy camera though, must have some reasons for that.
Matt L

4th Apr 12 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My battery grips on al the time mainly for the buttons being on the grip for portrait shots.
BluKoo

4th Apr 12 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To be honest, if I had a battery grip, I think i'd leave it on all the time too.
BluKoo

5th Apr 12 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry, sorry, sorry, too many time-consuming distractions to deal with already this morning! Ok, this is what we are doing right now...

It goes without saying, if you are going to do this sort of thing, you need to be using top quality supporting gear that you have thoroughly tested in advance. I need to spend the next half an hour to hour filming as the bonnet is a critical shot to get in the bag, but I'll be back later this morning with an update on the music issues I mentioned yesterday.
3CorsaMeal

5th Apr 12 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that guy must get bored somedays, holding a spinning pad up to a car all the time, no matter how nice the car.

I reckon he will have bad hands in future life, arthritis imo
Sunz

5th Apr 12 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think his a detailaholic, couldn't stop even if he needed to.
BluKoo

9th Apr 12 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What follows in this update are the mad ramblings of a rank amateur – I am not musically minded and cannot read music. However, by trial and error I have found a way of editing that works for me, and it is this that I am going to share. It seems to me that there are two ways of creating decent soundtracks for videos – you either cut the video footage and then write/create music to fit it, or else you choose what music you want to use in advance and then edit the footage to fit the music. I only ever work the second way, i.e. I choose the music and write/record any spoken narrative in advance, and then make the footage fit the finished soundtrack.

For this feature video about the Enzo detail, there is no need for a spoken narrative, so all I needed to do was to choose a decent piece of music to serve as the soundtrack. You might think this is easy – just pick a song that appeals to you, download it or buy the CD and copy the track into your editing software. And this is what a lot of people do. However, there is the sticky issue of music licensing to consider. This is a complicated topic that frustrates the hell out of me, because in my experience the commercial music industry is a pain in the behind to work with. You always need two separate licenses (one from the copyright holder, i.e. the artist, and one from the music publisher, i.e. usually the record label) and an arm and a leg are often required for both. Want to use a Muse track for an online only video? That’ll be £5k thank you very much sir (no joke).

If you choose to breach copyright then you run the risk of being had up for it – maybe not a major concern for a private individual making personal videos for YouTube, but for a limited company making commercial videos for self promotion then it’s too risky and not really on. We get hacked off when people steal our images and use them without permission, so we choose to respect musical copyright – every single piece of music we have ever used in our videos has been properly licensed, and always will be. The downside to this whiter than whiter approach is limited choice of good music – we’ve never yet been able to afford the license for a commercial piece of music, and most of the royalty free stuff out there is pretty awful (even to my tone deaf ears). However, after much raking, I have found one or two sites that sell pretty decent royalty free tracks for around £30-£40 a pop... which is a bargain given what famous bands and the record labels want!

So, back to editing; once you have your (licensed) track, how do you make the footage fit what you can hear in a visually pleasing way? I find the best way is to break the track down into its logical sections and then break these down further into sub-sections linked to the beat. If you have a look at the following screen grab, I’ll explain what’s going on...

Okay, so at the bottom is the music track’s waveform graph for the left and right speaker channels; in this screen shot only the second distinct section of the track is shown. I’ve added vertical blue lines to show how this overall section is broken up into four sub-sections, defined in the track by crashing cymbals (at each vertical blue line). In between, a variety of string instruments are providing a beat with a recurring frequency of 3:15 seconds... which is a great length for each mini video clip for a fairly fast paced look. So, overall, what we have then is a major section of the track, broken down into four sub-sections, into each of which four video clips run nicely in time with the beat. It would probably be easier to explain all of this if I knew some correct musical terms, but hopefully you get the drift!

On a final note for this update, don’t ever make the mistake of picking a track you want use and doing all of the editing work before you find out if you can actually get a license for it. I did this last month, when I put together a very fast-paced glitchy looking edit of our Desire video footage to the awesome dubstep track used in the recent Weetabix advert. The end result is very funky and I’d love to be able to share it with you, but sadly both Plasmapool Entertainment (the record label) and Mord Fustang (the artist) have not responded to formal license requests made via their websites, so right now I am sitting on a great little video that I can’t legally share! However, I can show you a screen grab of what the editing looks like for it – much madder than the one above for the Enzo video!

PS – There’s a free pot of Desire going for anyone who can (a) put me in direct contact with someone at Plasmapool Entertainment or Mord Fustang / Miles Dyson personally. I really want to be able to get a license and share this video with you!

It's been a rather busy bank holiday weekend so far in our studio. Here's a few image updates for you, starting with a sliding overhead shot, which was really hard to set up, but looks great on screen...

Aye, aye, what's this cheeky chappy up to then?

Ahh... I suspected as much. Doesn't matter if it's a Fiat 500 or an Enzo, if you can't get into tight bits to polish them properly, then things have to be removed...

Much better... we now have full machine access to the the top of the quarter panel, plus the front edges of the light recesses themselves.

Right, I'm off to do some more filming. Clark is aiming to finish off the rear bumper this morning and then the quarter panel side skirts, and then it's on to the front bumper, which is going to need wetsanding by the look of it.
laingyla

9th Apr 12 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kool shit
John

9th Apr 12 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BluKoo
cannot read music

That's a nice bit of life story but not sure how it's relevant to making a video of a car being polished?
Steve
Premium Member

9th Apr 12 at 16:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

5k is nothing, thats a coat of wax at this place. Love the hypocrisy behind charging extortionate prices for basic work then moan when someone else wants extortionate prices for a piece that actually takes a proper talent to produce

[Edited on 09-04-2012 by Steve]
Matt L

9th Apr 12 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why vinyl the front plate but not the back?
BluKoo

9th Apr 12 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matt L

Because they removed the rear plate completely.

I assume you've mistaken that F430 for the Enzo...
Matt L

9th Apr 12 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BluKoo
quote:
Originally posted by Matt L

Because they removed the rear plate completely.

I assume you've mistaken that F430 for the Enzo...

yup woops
baza31

9th Apr 12 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's fully over the top, detailing IMO is a load of bullshit, what happens when the car is actually driven home? Parked up in the sun/rain ? It would revert back to square one . People who own these cars need a reality check . If a machine can note paint defects but the human eye can't then why bother seriously ? Am sure if they didn't wash it 30 times before hand the car would be fine.
Plus 5k for a music video ? ffs who manages the place? I think there is a whole load of bullshitting that goes on in these polished bliss threads
BluKoo

9th Apr 12 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by baza31
It's fully over the top, detailing IMO is a load of bullshit, what happens when the car is actually driven home? Parked up in the sun/rain ? It would revert back to square one . People who own these cars need a reality check . If a machine can note paint defects but the human eye can't then why bother seriously ? Am sure if they didn't wash it 30 times before hand the car would be fine.
Plus 5k for a music video ? ffs who manages the place? I think there is a whole load of bullshitting that goes on in these polished bliss threads

If you make a comment like that then you really don't know what you're talking about.

You think the machine notes paint defects? No, it reads how thick the paint/lacquer is so they know how much they have to play with, and they know how much they have removed when getting rid of the defects.

5k for a music video? What are you talking about? It was 5k for a licence to use a track, but they thought that was too expensive, so they didn't use it.

I can guarantee that there is no bullshit in Polished Bliss threads.
If you don't like detailing, and you don't understand it, then don't read the threads and don't bother commenting.

Although after your comment, i'm not convinced you do read. You obviosuly just skim through and make up what you don't understand.

Here is the link to the original thread: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=258893

If you wish to make any more comments, then I suggest you do so in there
laingyla

9th Apr 12 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^^^^ BOOM sit the fuck down !!
Yhea what he said lol

[Edited on 09-04-2012 by laingyla]
taylorboosh

9th Apr 12 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

some members on here dont feel £5k is a large amount, infact some have found more than this in their relatives houses...

[Edited on 09-04-2012 by john-d]
Marc

9th Apr 12 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plus most peoples portfolios probably cost that to put together.
BluKoo

9th Apr 12 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by john-d
quote:

some members on here dont feel £5k is a large amount, infact some have found more than this in their relatives houses...

Are you referring to me? If so, then good memory
taylorboosh

9th Apr 12 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No lol you must have a poor memory if you don't know what im refering to

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Some "behind the scenes" stuff from Polished Bliss - Enzo content. 22 database queries in 0.2059059 seconds