corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Tablet PC's - Ipad etc

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Tablet PC's - Ipad etc
jrsteeve

User status: Offline
   24th Feb 12 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm looking at picking one up to use for the business - mostly outlook and web browsing - was hoping to wait for the ipad3 but is there much point? I have an android phone and quite like the software on that, but is there a decent ipad competitor? Seen the Transformer one, same price as the ipad but doesn't appear to have anything over it. Any thoughts?
LeeM

24th Feb 12 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ipad all the way. theres a rumoured announcement in less than 2 weeks from apple believed to be for the next ipad
jrsteeve

24th Feb 12 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
ipad all the way. theres a rumoured announcement in less than 2 weeks from apple believed to be for the next ipad

Aye i've seen, i'm held back by the cost a bit though as it'll be used out and about, quite an expensive thing to throw about really.
LeeM

24th Feb 12 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i use mine all over, good case and you'll be sorted. theres always one of these though http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004V9F61O/ref=asc_df_B004V9F61O6708825?smid=A3PYDFBFNB02FY&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22242&creativeASIN=B004V9F61O

Eddx14xe

24th Feb 12 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a Motorola XOOM. 32GB wifi for £330 and I bought a 32GB memory card off play.com for £35. It's definitely no iPad, but for the equivalent iPad (64GB) it's twice the price. The XOOM is also Android, so you get to stay on the same OS.

They are quite heavy (about 700 grams iirc), so I would suggest playing around with it in a store first.
jrsteeve

25th Feb 12 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eddx14xe
I've got a Motorola XOOM. 32GB wifi for £330 and I bought a 32GB memory card off play.com for £35. It's definitely no iPad, but for the equivalent iPad (64GB) it's twice the price. The XOOM is also Android, so you get to stay on the same OS.

They are quite heavy (about 700 grams iirc), so I would suggest playing around with it in a store first.

Cheers, i'll have a look at those.
John

25th Feb 12 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Out of the current crop you are better with an iPad.
XE Col
Premium Member

25th Feb 12 at 15:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If its mainly for email and web browsing buy an iPad 1,
That's what I did, fine for what I need it for
Ste
Premium Member

26th Feb 12 at 23:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or buy a laptop, have £300 left over and be able to do ten times more than a tablet and not have achy arms when you watch a film on it and greasy fingerprints over your screen from typing emails on horrible touch screen keyboards

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Sam
Premium Member

27th Feb 12 at 00:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iPads look nice, but I think they are a bit too small for my liking, plus you can't look at Flash based websites as far as I know.
Eddx14xe

27th Feb 12 at 00:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Motorola XOOM has flash support.
Rob_Quads

27th Feb 12 at 08:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste
and not have achy arms when you watch a film on it

Why would you have aching arms from watching a film on it? Loads of cheap stands out there or even the smart cover and it will sit just like a laptop, or your holding it up and if thats the case while your arms might ache, try holding a laptop in the same position.

IMO Laptops just don't have the portability of the iPad/Xoom (generic tablic) and thats the selling point for them. That said a 11" Macbook Air does get close but then its a lot more money.
MarkM

27th Feb 12 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My 3 year old Samsung Netbook NC10 is very portable.
LeeM

27th Feb 12 at 08:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got an iPad and laptop, rarely use my laptop anymore. My ipad fits in my bag for uni so easily, it slips between 2 books and you'd never know it was there
jrsteeve

27th Feb 12 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
I've got an iPad and laptop, rarely use my laptop anymore. My ipad fits in my bag for uni so easily, it slips between 2 books and you'd never know it was there

That's pretty much what i'm after, something a fair bit smaller and lighter than a laptop. I bought a netbook to use when i'm at uni (i'm part time) but it's such a slow little fucker and takes a few minutes to get going. The ipad/or similar appeals because of the quick start up and should be small enough to fit in my folder when out and about.

New Poll