corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Dynamic dns help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Dynamic dns help
Ste
Premium Member

User status: Offline
1st Feb 12 at 00:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone got any experience setting up your own dynamic dns setup.

Basically, I've installed a cctv setup on my parents farm that has the ability to view and control the cameras over the internet. it needs a static ip, but as they are contracted into sky and sky don't do static ips I want to setup the ddns

I have a server that my websites are on and would like to have security.blahblah.com to access the cameras.

I have a windows pc available to be on all the time and connected to the network and i'd like to put the ddns software on that.
any help with which one to choose and how best to set it up

thanks

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Ian
Site Administrator

1st Feb 12 at 01:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Set up the subdomain to a folder in the hosting.

Give the folder an FTP account.

FTP a PHP file which has a Location: header in it periodically, the contents of which are written using the response from a query to said web server.

Needs -

PHP file to reveal IP, easy

Something on the computer to make that request, store the result and FTP it up there.

Wondering whether it could be all done when you visit security.blahblah.com instead of having to poll it inside the local network.
John

1st Feb 12 at 08:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just have dyndns running either on the router if it supports it (standard sky ones you get now do support) or the client running on the PC.

You'll then be able to point security.xxxxx.com towards the dyndns address.

[Edited on 01-02-2012 by John]
ed

1st Feb 12 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you CNAME security.yourdomain.com to your.dyndns.ws then you'll get what you want.

I'm using Dyn to connect to my network at home remotely - seems to do the trick. Broadband is provided by Sky but my router is a Netgear DG834G which isn't the one that they give you, but the DG834GT which they used to give out supported dynamic DNS anyway.
Sam
Premium Member

1st Feb 12 at 09:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would recommend No-IP, as DynDNS is no longer free (whereas No-IP is).

I use No-IP (used to use DynDNS when it was free) for my XP box which runs a FileZilla FTP server at home.

Edit: I've also done what Ed has mentioned about the CNAME thing, works pretty well and the No-IP updater software runs in XP without it having to be logged in.

[Edited on 01-02-2012 by Sam]
John

1st Feb 12 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When did they change that?
Sam
Premium Member

1st Feb 12 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dunno, I was a bit pissed off about that because the Sky router only lets you use DynDNS so this meant I had to go with No-IP and install their software on the XP box.
noshua

1st Feb 12 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't know DynDNS was no longer free, probably why my Grandad's CCTV no longer works online.

The way I set his up (probably a very similar setup) was to port forward the required ports (e.g. 8080 and a couple others for mobile use).

Setup the DynDNS details in the router (BT router, as John said there should be an option in most routers now), this is so every time the router IP changes, it updates DynDNS (saves having the PHP script Ian mentioned).

That worked the first time, then he upgraded his router to the latest HomeHub which messed everything up and I had to set the internal IP of the CCTV unit to have all external traffic (i.e. if I visit my-cctv.dyndns.com) to pass directly to the CCTV unit.
ed

1st Feb 12 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Huh, I'm using DynDns and I'm not paying for it?
John

1st Feb 12 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm still using it for free and it's working fine.

Must just be new accounts.
ed

1st Feb 12 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just had a look, there's free and there are pro accounts now. Free gives you basic DNS management, i.e. you can have your *.dyndns.ws domain name that points to your router just as it did before.
noshua

1st Feb 12 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They only offer 30-day trails now; http://www.dyndnscommunity.com/questions/21580/from-dyn-what-happened-to-free-accounts.html
Sam
Premium Member

1st Feb 12 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I think existing accounts are still free as long as they are active (although whether they'll change this policy to force you to pay for it soon I couldn't say).
Dom

1st Feb 12 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wrote a little app that updated my cPanel static DNS records (via it's API), but ended up moving my DNS to Hurricane Electric which allows simple HTTP requests (just have a scheduled batch script running to update every 15mins or so) to update dynamic records.

[Edited on 01-02-2012 by Dom]
ENB

1st Feb 12 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just use afraid dns.

They provide with a simple script to run your end which updates the IP for the domain when it changes.

It's free.
Nismo

1st Feb 12 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just setup DDNS on the router then portforward to the CCTV DVR or server on which ever port the web service uses.

Ref the domian just create a sub domain and point it to your DDNS.
Ste
Premium Member

1st Feb 12 at 17:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did the ddns on the router. it's a d-link and had the option to use no-ip.com

thanks for the help

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
pow
Premium Member

2nd Feb 12 at 09:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No-IP is the tits for simple things like that. I use No-IP and RealVNC to remote support my Grandma. She has a shortcut on her Desktop to 'Connect to pow' and it start the No-IP client, updates the IP address and start the VNC service. Port 5900 forwarded on her router I just type in her no-ip address into VNC viewer.
Sam
Premium Member

2nd Feb 12 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Connect to pow
ed

2nd Feb 12 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think he should be keeping stuff like that private
pow
Premium Member

2nd Feb 12 at 11:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Eh? Why?

New Poll