corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Laser printer experts in here

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Laser printer experts in here
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
30th Jan 12 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a multi function laser printer (i.e. it scans and faxes as well), it's a Brother MFC-7360N.

If I print standard text documents like from Word for example, it prints out absolutely fine.

Anything with graphics on, the graphic elements on the page sometimes have white vertical lines going through it, making said graphics on the page look shit.

The web page config for the printer says it's got plenty of toner and drum life, and I've even taken out the drum/toner assembly and given it a shake. I've also cleaned the corona wire on it as well, no improvement.

Any ideas?

[Edited on 30-01-2012 by Sam]
pow
Premium Member

30th Jan 12 at 12:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Driver?
Balling
Premium Member

30th Jan 12 at 12:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Driver?

Inclined to think driver as well.

The printer doesn't now the difference between images and text. The driver does, though.

Try, as a test, to make a few large squares in Word and fill them with shades of grey (say 75, 50, 25 and 15 %) and print that.
Will tell you if it's a general problem with rasters or if it's specifically bitmap.

Also, try printing images from Word to see if it's software specific. Might be a compatibility issue with your driver and what ever software you print graphics from.

Either way, an update of driver + firmware is recommendable.

pow
Premium Member

30th Jan 12 at 12:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Deffo sounds driver to me.

If it's copying stuff fine (without the PC) then it will be.
Sam
Premium Member

30th Jan 12 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm printing from Outlook 2011 (Mac).

Just tried the Word test as suggested, the black square had a few faint lines going through it, and the other lighter squares had really visible white lines.

The driver for the printer is the one I downloaded from the Brother website last month I think it was. I just downloaded it again and it's the same version (4.2.0 CUPS driver, although on the Brother website it's listed as 4.1.3a for some reason).

Firmware is also up-to-date (firmware "E").
pow
Premium Member

30th Jan 12 at 15:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try it on another (Windows) computer also a direct photocopy. Should tell you if it's hardware or software (IE. driver related)
Sam
Premium Member

30th Jan 12 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just did a photocopy on it, similar kind of issue (text is fine, graphics is not). Tried in auto and graphics mode, no improvement.

Toner?
pow
Premium Member

30th Jan 12 at 15:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Toner or transfer drum
Sam
Premium Member

30th Jan 12 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any way of determining which?
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

30th Jan 12 at 22:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any error codes?
Network printer? (any clues from admin page as to life of toner / imaging unit / transfer belt)

Shake drum
Shake imaging unit

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
M2RTY

31st Jan 12 at 07:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuser not heating up properly
Sam
Premium Member

31st Jan 12 at 09:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a network printer yes. I've already checked the printer admin, and both the toner and drum page count is 469 so I've not printed out shitloads of stuff on this drum and toner.

The drum unit (according to the admin) says it has a life of 11,531 pages or 98%.

The only error recorded was a paper jam in the automatic document feeder from ages ago, but that's it.

And yes as per my original post I have already shaked the drum and toner (that was the first thing I did).

The only thing I can think of, is that it's still on the starter toner which has a yield of 700 pages - although in the admin section it says that it's half full.

[Edited on 31-01-2012 by Sam]
ENB

31st Jan 12 at 13:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could try changing it over the toner just to rule out (though I assume you haven't bought a fresh set yet?)

I presume it's new (as you've only printed 469) and if it's rated for 11,531 (or similarly 1000's pages) could try sending it back as faulty for a replacement as if it's not the toner any other part should last longer than you've had it.
Sam
Premium Member

31st Jan 12 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had the printer just under a year I believe, bought brand new.

No I've not bought a new toner yet, haven't had a chance to look into prices at the moment.
Sam
Premium Member

2nd Feb 12 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK little update - page counter is up to 493 pages and this evening I've got a "toner low" message on the LCD display of the printer even though the starter toner was supposed to be good for 700 pages (apparently)...

Just ordered a new toner which should get here on Monday, hopefully this will resolve the graphic printing issues.

New Poll