corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Substations

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Substations
Conway563

User status: Offline
17th Jan 12 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would a house being next to a sub station put anyone off buying?

Found a house we like the look of, one of the nicest areas of town, in budget etc but it's right next to a substation.
This appears to have been reflected in the price as it's advertised nearly 10% less than what you'd expect for the street.

Have done a bit of googling but all it seems to bring up is idiots worrying it's going to give them cancer like their mobile phone is so just after some more sensible opinions

[Edited on 17-01-2012 by Conway563]
sc0ott

17th Jan 12 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

None what so ever otherwise the utilities wont allow it. Same goes for those pylons, people think they give off more radiation than chernobyl.

If they were that concerned they wouldnt buy imo. Just another way to try get a bigger discount
John

17th Jan 12 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only thing is future resale value (which is already taken into account here) and the buzzing. The buzzing would probably put me off.
Kyle T
Premium Member

17th Jan 12 at 20:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
The buzzing would probably put me off.

5 minutes and you're used to it. I work at a powerstation and my first impression at my interview was WTF how do people stand this noise, it almost made me feel sick

Before I knew it, I had a third testicle and I couldn't hear a thing.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
John

17th Jan 12 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would it be the same when you were trying to get to sleep?
Kyle T
Premium Member

17th Jan 12 at 20:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Would it be the same when you were trying to get to sleep?

Probably, it's like living near a main road or a trainline- sounds annoying at first, but you get used to it. My GF's parents live about four doors down from a trainline and I once had to sleep over there so we could get a lift to the airport early the next morning. I couldn't sleep all night to bloody trains, but everyone else in the house claimed a totally sound nights sleep - trains are just ambience to them now!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
sc0ott

17th Jan 12 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The substation thats on one of our big housing developments makes no buzzing noises at all.
Ben G

17th Jan 12 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

used to live opposite a train station. first night i slept there i woke up at 4:30am

after a couple of weeks i was fine.

i now live about 1/4 mile away from a power station thing that gives off a low humming sound at night, used to annoy me but now i'm fine.

didnt even know it was there as its covered by trees and chalk walls.
RichR
Premium Member

18th Jan 12 at 13:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gives you one less set of neighbours to worry about and assuming its on the boundary, gives you an extra degree of security as it cuts down the routes onto your property
Colin

18th Jan 12 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Used to be one at the back of my old place, didnt even think about it tbh!!

A pylon however....wouldnt be too keen on that!!
Colin

18th Jan 12 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Only thing is future resale value

Thats the biggest thing here really, but if the house is perfect & you plan to be there for a long time then dont let it put you off!!
Conway563

18th Jan 12 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers, would definitely be planning on staying there for a while.
Not been able to find a definitive answer on whether the price is fully reflecting it as no houses the same size have been sold there for a while

Street view for anyone interested
Colin

18th Jan 12 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Actually....thats quite close, more in the garden than around it.

The one at mine was down a lane at the rear of the property.
whitter45

18th Jan 12 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For me as others have said its resale value

Jimbothebarbarian

18th Jan 12 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Limits what you can do in your garden a bit. Everyone else seems to have a nice garage etc but you lack the space to do the same.
Ben G

18th Jan 12 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

jesus christ, that's awful no chance i'd be buying that.
Chris
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 20:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would think about EMF field if there are step down transformers.

also

Transformers in substations are constructed using the highly toxic chemicals called Polychlorinated Biphenyls

Plus the further you live from a substation the greater the voltage between N and true Earth, so free power.

I currently get 3volts for free

[Edited on 19-01-2012 by Chris]
ash_corsa

19th Jan 12 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What an eyesore, i wouldnt even consider living there.
Jules S
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 21:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A no from me as well im afraid

Are you considering the catchment area there? I've never really 'got' the attraction to the 'birds'...but I guess that's chipping sodbury school?

For that sort of house/value I think I'd be looking at the 'counties' tbh

[Edited on 19-01-2012 by Jules S]
daymoon
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 22:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

which house are you actually looking at? the one that has substation in the garden?
Chris
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 22:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just looked at the pics, is there much of a HUM?
whitter45

20th Jan 12 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Chris

also

Transformers in substations are constructed using the highly toxic chemicals called Polychlorinated Biphenyls

Plus the further you live from a substation the greater the voltage between N and true Earth, so free power.

And how is that good unless it's within limits. Supplying more power increases heat and reduces life cycle Of a product. You also consume more energy because of this

Your better stepping down the voltage rather than having more voltage. It may look free but your paying for t in loss of thermal efficiency and putting more load on your household products

Can send you loads of info of you like
Conway563

20th Jan 12 at 08:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jules S
A no from me as well im afraid

Are you considering the catchment area there? I've never really 'got' the attraction to the 'birds'...but I guess that's chipping sodbury school?

For that sort of house/value I think I'd be looking at the 'counties' tbh

[Edited on 19-01-2012 by Jules S]

Attraction for us is it's by the kids school (Raysfield), walking distance to the shopping centre and just round the corner from the mother in law as my mrs doesn't drive

Cheapest 3 bed in the counties is another £45k on top of the price of this one which is already up at the top of our budget

quote:
Originally posted by daymoon
which house are you actually looking at? the one that has substation in the garden?

John

20th Jan 12 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
quote:

also

And how is that good unless it's within limits. Supplying more power increases heat and reduces life cycle Of a product. You also consume more energy because of this

Your better stepping down the voltage rather than having more voltage. It may look free but your paying for t in loss of thermal efficiency and putting more load on your household products

You don't have one of they step down converter things that brings it down to 220v or whatever it is do you
whitter45

20th Jan 12 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
quote:

also

You don't have one of they step down converter things that brings it down to 220v or whatever it is do you

no mate

I was merely referencing more to our work applications within industry - but still the same rules/laws of physics apply

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Substations 25 database queries in 0.1014490 seconds