corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Mileage - does it bother you? Also a BMW 1 Series thread.

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Mileage - does it bother you? Also a BMW 1 Series thread.
Graham88

User status: Offline
29th Dec 11 at 01:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've always been one for low mileage, but just looking at a cheap car for me and the missus so we can save more money instead of running her Cooper S which is quite frankly pointless her owning.

But looking at 1 series Diesels at the 5k mark, which puts them in the 100k margin, normally I'd be one to walk away but seeing as a low mileage BMW means the price almost doubles I'm considering it. I'm aware there's more to high mileage than just engine wear and tear but considering how many people I know in the trade I don't really see it as an issue.

Want to stick with something reliable and the car seems to tick all the boxes, comfort, reliable, decent mpg, servicing is cheap (from what I'm used too lol), tyres are average price £90 a corner or whatever.

The one I have my eye on comes with a few things like Sat Nav, Bluetooth etc so not just an ordinary dull model. It's a 118d SE, what does this mean?
scottyp1989

29th Dec 11 at 02:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never had a problem with high milage cars, every car iv had has had over 100k on it. At the end of they day cars are made to be driven, a 30k mile car will still have its problems just like a 100/200k car can
Toby
Premium Member

29th Dec 11 at 02:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Se is middle spec, engines are economical and only getting better. Bluetooth is a fairly.cheap option but nav isn't. That's not particularly high on a German diesel imo. Tyres eillost props be runflats so unless you remove them tyres will be near 160 a corner
Graham88

29th Dec 11 at 03:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good stuff. Just been looking online and in typical fashion there's the odd horror story to 5 good stories but that's just luck of the draw IMO. Will not be putting runflats back on I hate the things. Drags my missus Cooper S all over the place.
XE Col
Premium Member

29th Dec 11 at 07:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No spare wheel though in any newer BMW afaik
Just for info would be risky losing the run flats
deano87

29th Dec 11 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh, if you really want to save money, I'd be looking at spending the same money, or even less, on a cheap to run diesel. You've got your nice car for the longer journeys etc.

How many miles does she do?

Corsa D diesels must be in that price range by now.
alan-g-w

29th Dec 11 at 09:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by scottyp1989
Never had a problem with high milage cars, every car iv had has had over 100k on it. At the end of they day cars are made to be driven, a 30k mile car will still have its problems just like a 100/200k car can

But a 30k car won't have nearly as many/ serious problems as a 200k car of the same make and model, it's just common sense tbh
Tomnova16
Premium Member

29th Dec 11 at 09:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mate bought a 52 plate 330 with 125k on it last summer.
Not had a problem with it

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Robin
Premium Member

29th Dec 11 at 09:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine has done 128k and in all honesty, other than general wear and tear on suspension components, it's not that bad.

She had a 325Ci which had 116k on it last year and that was fine too, other than the normal stuff.

'High' miles have changed, gone are the days of 80k being a scary proposition!
belton

29th Dec 11 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We regularly get bmw's with 140 -160k on them through my work and they sound and drive absoloutly fine so I would defo not worry about it. I hate saying it as everyone does but as long as it's been serviced I am sure it will be fine
mattfiesta

29th Dec 11 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My 320d has just clocked 150k and in the last year its had a new injector at around £350 fitted (independant garage), an abs pump/module (bought secondhand as new price was a joke), two window regulators replaced/repaired and now the lock barrel that broke on christmas eve which when unlocked via the fob makes the windows go down, I'm currently waiting for the repair kit to arrive for this.

It's also had new wishbones and arb and trailing arm bushes etc in the last year but to me these are consumables, albeit not particularly cheap.

I bought my car (02 320d) 3 years ago with 116k and for the first two years it was ok bar having to replace the clutch but in this last year more things have started to go on it

[Edited on 29-12-2011 by mattfiesta]
scottyp1989

29th Dec 11 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
quote:
Originally posted by scottyp1989

But a 30k car won't have nearly as many/ serious problems as a 200k car of the same make and model, it's just common sense tbh

Can you guarantee that? We have an 10 plate insignia at work, that has been back to vaux 5 times in the 20k miles its been on the road, the mk4 astra van we have on the other hand has been back once in the 147k miles its done. It might be "common sense" as you say but that makes it no more reliable.
taylorboosh

29th Dec 11 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your argument is invalid... he said same make and model
scottyp1989

29th Dec 11 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Partially correct yes ill give you that
kz

29th Dec 11 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a Clio 182 with 54k miles within 3-4 months I needed to change the lambda sensor, CAT to manifold ring, the exhaust failed its emissions and there was a problem with the alarm system.

Have another Clio 182 now with 110k miles, I need to adjust the break light timing, apart from that it's spot on. Interior is obviously much more worse off though.
Sunz

29th Dec 11 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
tbh, if you really want to save money, I'd be looking at spending the same money, or even less, on a cheap to run diesel. You've got your nice car for the longer journeys etc.

This really, I think it's pointless to spend 5k on a car that's very likely to need work doing and as it's a BMW it will be slightly more expensive then most cars, even just the basics.
For 5k you could find a fairly newish diesel that's cheap to insure, tax and good on mpg and wont cost the Earth to repair if anything does go wrong, seems logical if you want to save money.

As for mileage, it's doesn't matter to much to me, some people look after their cars very well and others don't and it's normally pretty easy to tell.

Eddx14xe

29th Dec 11 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ever looked at the little city cars? As said you already have a nice car for going out in.
Russ

29th Dec 11 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

worst i have a gf post ever.

seriously, high milage does bother me, its not so bad if you have put the miles on, as you know what the cars been through, but it could be 100k miles of motorway at 70-80, or it could have been abused. 100k is on the whole car dont forget, not just the engine
Graham88

29th Dec 11 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interesting points made here. And Russ screw you

We both want to stick with what is still a pretty nice car as we're both used to having something with a bit of luxury to it and the BMW fits the bill perfectly. She's always had Mini's which is basically BMW anyway and I'm a new found BMW lover. So whilst we could get the car itself cheaper that's not so much what we're looking at. I don't know what the tax is but it'll be better on MPG than her Cooper S, it's cheaper insurance & parts for it are no different from what she's used to in her Mini, again I can't remember the last time I paid full price for any bits as we know people in many trades.

I guess the only thing we can do like someone suggested is to have a look around it properly, the advert states its motorway miles and if that is the case it will mostly be engine wear & tear.

I did suggest the 1.9d Astras but she doesn't like them, other than that I can't think of much else in the 5k bracket that's not fucked! Golfs hold their money really well too
Butler

29th Dec 11 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I own a 30 year old car on 140k, its been fine for the last 10k other than a burst coolant hose
Graham88

29th Dec 11 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Blimey what are you driving??
daymoon
Premium Member

29th Dec 11 at 12:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^ mk1 Golf GTi iirc.

Why not look at E46 320D? Would get a very nice one for 5k.
Sunz

29th Dec 11 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Butler
I own a 30 year old car on 140k, its been fine for the last 10k other than a burst coolant hose

Doesn't sound like your average owner though, any car that's 30 years old and still going has either been stored in a garage or very well looked after maybe a bit of both !

I wonder how much was spent just previous to them 10k miles on servicing and parts !

Where as a BMW 1 series on 100k already would have been a motorway company car or a well used family run around not a well super well looked after machine !

OP will want a BMW no matter what it seems ! Doesn't really sound like a money saving plan ! But guess it depends how much money you have !
Graham88

29th Dec 11 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a consideration Daymoon I didn't really think of that. Whether I want 2 E46's is another question! lol

Sunz like I said it's the car that fits the bill perfectly, so far no suggestions have come up apart from a 320d as something I would consider. It's going to be mainly driven by my missus for work so I can't expect her to drive around in something she doesn't want just to save a bit more money, I'd rather spend the bit extra and have something we both want. You can't tell me you can't see where I'm coming from?

I'm used to having a fuel guzzling machine and she's used to a 1.6 petrol supercharged car, you're telling me we're not going to save money! And even the money side aside her owning that car is pointless, she barely opens it up as it's just used to work and back so traffic etc so this way if my work van ever got taken off me (cost cutting at work!) then I can use this aswell, I don't see why it's hard to see my point of view

[Edited on 29-12-2011 by Graham88]
Fro

29th Dec 11 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Found my mini to be very good on juice tbh high 30's when I wanted it too.
If the BM has high miles but full service history and low owners it should be fine but there could also be the chance it shits itself shorty down the line, but you could get that with any car.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Mileage - does it bother you? Also a BMW 1 Series thread. 23 database queries in 0.1041539 seconds